1,144 results
All reviews the vine beautiful courtyard car park afternoon tea lovely old hotel pay and display historic hotel superior room lounge area lots of character scones four poster bed old building centre of town central location breakfast was excellent stayed here for one night
Reviewed 3 November 2016

Its a nice hotel, some of the rooms are tired, some a bit plain and some really good, but all clean. The breakfasts are great, room service efficient. We stay there when visiting the local theater. Rooms overlooking the courtyard are the quietest. The place needs work on the rooms, which looked to be in progress when we last stayed as it's not quite as good as they think or as good as they charge for.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2016

From the moment we checked in up to the moment we checked out, this charming hotel caught our group's heart. The reception was efficient and pleasant, the room was amazing, the ambiance of the bar and fireplace area are not to be missed, and you wake refreshed to a fantastic hot English Breakfast! Thank you, especially goes out to the general manager Mark Bramley and to Hany Gambil . Each in their own way they made us feel welcome. Our Business Group, The Boshemian Club, looks forward to our return to this historic and magnificent hotel.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
M W B, General Manager at Best Western Red Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2016

It was such a pleasure to meet with you, and have the opportunity to show you around
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 01722 323334.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future
Thank you again for taking the time to complete the survey.
i look forward to meeting with again soon either my side or your side of the pond

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Comfortable room with essential facilities but nothing extra. Our room overlooked the road at the rear of the hotel and was a bit noisy during the early night hours. Bathroom uptodate and clean. Breakfast was a good buffet and I particularly liked being able to order eggs freshly cooked. This is an olde worlde hotel with lots of quirky features and rooms leading off rooms like a rabbit warren. Some of the communal areas are a little tired and carpets stained but otherwise good with friendly service. Our only issue was car parking - we booked this hotel because we believed it had its own car park but this turned out to be a public car park down the road - at least we did not have to pay as the machine was broken! Admire the wonderful virginia creeper hanging everywhere in the inner courtyard - fabulous colour in October!

Room Tip: Quieter rooms overlook inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 October 2016

On arrival the room was cold and I attempted to turn on the storage radiator. I tried all the switches including the plug but nothing appeared to work as the 'on' light never lit. I assumed that the radiator was on a timer and left to meet a colleague for dinner. On return the room was still cold but I had managed to switch on the towel rail in the bathroom which at least made that room bearable. However, the next morning the shower eventually produced some hot water and just as I'd managed to get covered in shampoo and shower gel the water stopped flowing. I tried several times to get the shower to work but eventually resorted to running a very slow bath. In addition the shower curtain was too short which meant a lot of water ended up on the floor, and the bath mat was filthy. On complaining to the receptionist on leaving I was told that the radiator did work but that the plug was wired the wrong way and the light didn't work! Why wasn't I made aware of this? I received a shrug and 'sorry'. I asked for a feedback form but as none were available I have resorted to this review and a similar one to Best Western. I don't expect much from a hotel room, but I do expect the room to be warm and clean and the shower to work. This hotel failed in these basics.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 October 2016

We had a very comfortable room overlooking one of the courtyards for three nights. The buffet breakfast was extensive and kept fresh. We had two evening meals which were excellent - one in the main restaurant and the other in the lounge bar. The menus is both were wide enough to provide anyone with a good series of choices. The meals were excellently cooked and set out, and served well. Staff were friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: Better rooms are on the second floor - more expensive but well worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple