“Needs some attention”

Grasmere House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in July 2013. The hotel is perfectly fine, but it's quite poor value for money. It's clean and most of the staff are courteous, but the place could do with a bit of love. The carpets change colour every few metres and nothing really matches. Breakfast was a scrum in a room far too small for the number of guests and took ages. If Hotel Inspector got her hands on it, I'm sure she could make a decent shell of a building into a much more efficient and attractive hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Grasmere House Hotel

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I have now stayed at the Grasmere for 3-nights a week since January 2013. During this time I have always been made to feel as though I am more than just a paying client from all of the staff including the owner Dale. The food in the Restaurant is excellent and always cooked to perfection, you get what you pay for and I have stayed in many hotels where you pay more for less. The rooms are very comfortable, always clean and the bid linen crisp and white.

Looking out from my bedroom or sitting in the immaculate well kept gardens down to the River, you can see Salisbury Cathederal spire which is even more spectacular at night lit up.

I must congratulate and thank everyone at the Grasmere for the friendly but professional way they have shown throughout my time at the hotel and look forward to many more happy months during my work contract in Salisbury

Room Tip: Rooms at the back especially the ground floor with doors straight on to the garden.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel is tucked away in a quiet location. The car park well laid out and guests are greeted with an amazing array of hanging baskets. The receptionist was friendly and helpful, as were all the staff we came across. Our room, bed linen and towels, were spotless and the view across the river to the spire of the cathedral quite breath-taking. We enjoyed an excellent dinner, and would certainly recommend this hotel for its food, cleanliness and friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: 'Room with a view'
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen J
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed here this week with work. The grounds are spectular, but the hotel itself is very tired and is in need of a major overhaul. The food is also over priced in the restaurant. The beautiful building on the outside deceives the reality of what lies inside.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed here for one night and paying £90 for the room I expected something better, the hotel is dated and needs a makeover it maybe close to town centre but I would prefer the premier inn, staff were helpful, breakfast was ok evening meals were pricey for what options they had

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had a preferred hotel in Salisbury, but since my first trip it's always prohibitively expensive so I gave this a try and was pleased I did.

The location is excellent, easy walking distance to the Cathedral and on into town, but set back from the road so there's little trouble with road noise (something I've suffered elsewhere nearby). The room I was lucky enough to get opened immediately onto the lawn, which is right by the river and with a view of the cathedral.

There is ample parking, which after a moderate journey was welcomed.

I was surprised to find the bathroom is a fairly modern fitting, which is not always the way with older buildings, but served it's purpose perfectly. It was also very clean.

The restaurant also overlooks the lawn, river and cathedral so I found it very relaxing.

I had little interaction with the staff myself, but I did hear the restaurant staff dealing with a lady who wanted a very specific breakfast and they couldn't have been more accommodating and caring about her questions and requests.

I was very taken with the hotel and very much hope to visit again :)

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to get room 23, which opens straight onto the lawn. Lovely :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Made a late booking so room price was very competitive. Loads of parking and a friendly welcome at reception. Room had a fabulous view down to the river and room had all usual mod cons - tv, coffee/tea facilities. Hairdryer worked but burnt out after a short while and needed to cool down before I could use it again. The bathroom was a bit tired but everything functioned ok. Service was very good albeit that I arrived late and left early. Staff were more than willing to give me my breakfast slightly earlier than the official start time.

Room Tip: Difficult to say but certainly worth asking for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business