Grasmere House Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
City Lodge(Salisbury)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe riversalisbury cathedralsheep grazingwater meadowsplenty of car parkingfour poster bedwedding venuelovely hotelminute walk to the cathedrala bit tiredsuperior roomstayed here for one nightthe ground floorbuffet stylecity centrethe room was niceafternoon tea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Took a 2 night break here arrived early but the receptionist told us that we could book in as the room was ready, very comfortable room with all the facilities, had we been of the tall variety we may have had problems with the height of the ceiling but being short had no worries, all the staff we encountered were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Did not have dinner but the breakfast was great, everything from cereal fruit and croissants to a full English, didn't really need to eat again. Location was everything, the grounds alongside the river are magnificent with an imposing view of the Cathedral spire and only a 10 minute walk to the centre of Salisbury.Would certainly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Try for river view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PenrhysRhondda
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Excellent two night visit to celebrate my husband's 80th birthday. De Luxe room on ground flloor was superb and gave easy exit for our little dog who could venture out on to the lawn leading from our patio.down towards the river. Breakfast was good with lots of choice from a buffet and the snack meal served in the evening in the lounge was promptly and courteously served. We shall visit again. The location is handy for the town and there are plenty of car parking spaces at the hotel. Cannot fault this hotel at all !

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms at the back have super views and the advantage of a patio with chairs and table.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Balernolothian
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed on Sunday 22nd September for two nights. The staff were very helpful, it was quiet and peaceful and the food was good. I had just one glass of wine in the bar and it was awful, but fortunately we had our own supply of decent stuff in our room. Apart from that, I thoroughly recommend this beautiful hotel and would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Weddings are popular at this hotel so maybe avoid Saturdays
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2013

What a fantastic hotel. The Grasmere House Hotel is an "old school" establishment where the personal touch still means getting to know your clients and making them feel welcome and happy. From the moment I checked in there was a feeling of being at a home away from home. The resturant served a range of fantastic dishes and the menu changed almost daily providing a freash range of delicious options every night. You can't find a more idyllic, picturesque view over the gardens and river with the Salisbury Cathedral providing a spectacular backdrop. It is no wonder they are a premire wedding venure.

Room Tip: If you want internet, go for rooms near the reception, ie 2,3,4,5. Room 2 has a great view of the Cathedral and also has a spa bath. The deluxe double rooms are more modern and also have great views fo the gardens, river and Cathedral.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to a nice romantic weekend away for our wedding Anniversary, so when we saw the romantic weekend break on the website it looked like a done deal. How wrong we were !!!!! from the outside it matched the pictures on the website, the inside is tired and worn. The two reception staff were less than receptive, as they were busy getting ready for the evenings wedding. The room was clean, spacious and well equipped, the chocolates were there and we thought okay, things are looking up. (had to ask for a hairdryer)
After a walk round the town we returned to the hotel, changed for dinner and went down to the bar for a pre-dinner drink, we were met by a bar covered in dirty glasses, tables covered from front to back and side to side with dirty glasses. I felt sorry for the barman as it looked a bit of a daunting task ahead of him. We ordered dinner and selected from the wine list.
the starters were well presented and to a good standard, they explained that they didn't have the wine we had ordered so we selected again, and then again and again until we chose one that they did have. Then the Disco kicked in, in the conservatory attached to the dinning room. We had to shout to each other across the table from this point onward, The Main course was again well presented, but very very over cooked, the veg was soggy and on a par with nursing home food. We took cheese and biscuits and coffee in our room as the swearing in the rap music was not what I would normally choose to accompany a romantic meal. I had to return back downstairs to the restaurant to get knives, biscuits and butter to go with the cheese. the manager was disappointed with my opinion of dinner and was full of apology as he himself had taken the order. He did buy us both a drink to say sorry for this which was very good of him.
when the disco ended the guests sat talking into the night outside our window.
The first staff member in the following morning was moving heavy metal furniture around at 7 am followed shortly afterwards by the maid hoovering the corridors.
We went down and joined the queue for a table for breakfast, we were offered a four with the couple next to us as this was all that was available, we declined and offered to wait for a table of our own " not to much to ask on a romantic break" but from the huff and exasperated response from the gentleman in charge I might as well have just asked him to gather ice for my drink from the south pole by hand.
The young lady on reception was not overly concerned about my response to "did you have a nice stay"? as she offered me the bill as if I had been more than happy, I guess that she must experience this a lot!!

Will we be returning again ?

ITS A NO FROM ME !!!!!