“Ideal Location”

Grasmere House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night while passing through Salisbury and this hotel is ideally located. We looked for other hotels in and around the town but finding accommodation that provided suitable parking wasn't easy. This hotel is to the South of the town and just a 10 mins walk to the cathedral. We originally booked B&B but having walked around the town didn't find any places that appealed to have dinner, so elected to eat in (it's fine if you want the likes of Strada etc.). The hotel food was very good with a wide choice menu and we stayed in room 33 (a four poster) with a beautiful view (across the flooded river!) of the cahedral and spire. The town itself isn't much to write home about (all English towns these days are pretty much the same) and we weren't able to find a good pub for lunch, but peraps we'll look harder next time.

Steve and Jan Andrews

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve A

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently organised a dinner for 27 people at the Grasmere House Hotel. It was an enormous success, thanks in no small part to the excellent food and service. I have had loads of compliments on the quality of the food, and am happy to pass them on.

The Grasmere does not pretend to be glitzy or flash, but it does have Salisbury Soul and a warm heart. Highly recommended.

I can't comment on the rooms, as we only ate there.

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on business for a week - the house itself is large and has an old English country feel/style inside the foyer and lounge. The rooms are more modern, with TV, tea/coffee, hairdryer, ironing board etc. The hotel has all the facilities you would need - my room had a great view looking out over the River Avon and Salisbury Cathedral. For breakfast they offer a buffet with fruit, cereal and full cooked English (with extras cooked upon request). Room service was also well priced and good food. Plenty of car parking, close proximity to the city centre & free wifi. The best part of my stay were the staff - everyone on reception, the cleaners and the manager were all very friendly and made us feel welcome - they remembered who we were and asked us how our jobs were going on a daily basis. Nothing was too much for them and because of this I would definitely consider staying here again when I return to Salisbury.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have stayed here twice now. the first time was for leisure, this time was for business. The Hotel is in a very good spot that is quiet, with a great view of the Salisbury Cathedral. The staff is first rate, and the room was very spacious, with very good WIFI speed.

I had to make a change, and the front desk explained to me how to change it through Booking.com, and to have them call the front desk if needed. The change was remarkably painless, and without any fees.

Excellent location for a couples retreat, and for those who like to walk, and see the sights.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, mention it. Not all rooms have a view of the Cathedral.
1  Thank javamike9
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed only one night and were given a large comfortable room with a view over the garden across the river to the cathedral. This was during the severe weather and the river had crept over the bank into the garden where ducks were swimming. Breakfast was ok, but as it was a buffet service the hot food was just warm. I prefer my bacon and eggs piping hot. Overall though good value and good location for the city sights

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I travel a lot for business and normally get booked into one of the usual corporate chains for my overnight stays, but for whatever reason tonight I ended up at an independent the "Grasmere House Hotel" in Salisbury. With the corporate chains, you kind of know what you are going to get, but with an independent hotel it's always a bit of a lottery so I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of what this hotel has to offer.

The hotel has a superb location and as per the other reviews, you could describe some areas of the hotels as "Tired" but only if you walk around studying the carpets. For me, I don't give a monkeys if the carpets are patterned rather than being a solid colour that accents the curtains..... at the end of the day this doesn't make any difference to my quality of stay. What is important to me is the feeling you get staying in a hotel, and this is where this hotel scores big. The location is second to none with views over the river to Salisbury Cathedral.

The food is also fantastic and this was helped by the attentive but not intrusive nature of the staff who seem to appear out of nowhere once you have finished a course to remove your plate and shortly replace it with your next course.

I am not sure how the management of this hotel recruit their staff, but I would love to know the secret. Every single person I dealt with from reception, restaurant and the bar were fantastic and I had a great time in chatting to them.

From a business point of view, the WiFi (and also hardwired) internet is free and runs at about 8mb, there is full DVB TV recep and rooms also have irons and ironing boards in them.

In short, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who rates service, amenities and a warm welcome over the aesthetics of modern interior design. Will def be booking back in again.

4  Thank DangerPainter
Reviewed 7 January 2014

You can be confident of a happy time here. The staff went out of their way to make every aspect of our stay as happy as possible. The room was lovely - a superior room, huge bed (bit soft) and great view of the cathedral. The restaurant food was extremely good. If you want negatives the only thing I could say is that the decor could do with a little freshening up here and there.

Room Tip: a superior room was genuinely superior!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple