“Unbelievably shabby.”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Oakham
“Unbelievably shabby.”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My sister and I stayed at the Grasmere House Hotel in November. The room (8) we were first allocated was truly awful, bathroom had paint peeling off bath panel, ancient calcium-encrusted shower head, and whole room smelled appalling. Rest of room also disgraceful (supposed to be 'superior room') with torn lampshade, hole in armchair, glass shade mended with sticky tape etc.. After complaining the next morning we were moved to room 15, slightly better but towels were stained with large yellow marks. In both rooms hangers were broken, no basin or bath plugs were attached. I would love to know how this hotel gained its stars because it's a disgrace. We spoke to the manager and he apologised but we were not convinced he was particularly bothered.
I felt sorry for the lovely staff who bear the brunt of complaints.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Catherine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
london
Reviewed 8 March 2014

A very accomodating hotel which has pleasant and always helpfull staff.
My stay was midweek and I was treated very well, the staff could not do enough for me and the food was excellent and varied with the kitchen accomodating my dietary requirements.

My trip was for business but due to its quiet location with a great view of the cathedral out of my room and the short walk (under 10 mins) to the centre of town I will be coming back for a break with my partner.

Value for money highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Its been a long time since I've experienced such friendly, attentive staff at a Hotel. Ringing and booking was always easy and they answered the phone personally! We had a fantastic room with views of the catherdral and recent floods..... evening food was great and very well presented. If you're looking for a quirky place to stay with lovely atmosphere then this is for you. When we stayed it was raining and cold but I can imagine it is fantastic in the warmer months. I stayed for my birthday and when we came back in (late from the pubs) and asked for some champagne flutes for more fizz - (didnt really need it but you know how it is) the guy on reception got us an ice bucket with ice and put strawberries in the flutes - now that is what I call effort - specially as it was nearly mignight! It is an ideal level walk into the City centre and I'm re-booked already to go back and go into the City to eat at the superb La Molina - tapas bar we found - for lunch. Loved my stay - really loved the staff, loved the very very comfortable bed and I loved the place - it is a real gem of a find. Just to mention we went to a 5 * hotel the following night and it in no way compared to my stay here.

Room Tip: Room 22 and 23 have a private (but shared) patio and view of Catherdral. Beds are fantastic!
1 Thank DWinslet
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

wouldn't even know it was there unless I was told about it..
Hidden away just off a main road and what a gem of a find !!!

there was 15 of us and the 4 course meal was amazing and very reasonably priced and served in a very professional manner and was something you would expect to cost double the price.

Rooms were very big and spacious and clean and large bathroom as well.

Views were amazing from the rear even though there was flooding there was no risk of this hotel being under threat as this made the view better in my opinion and Salisbury cathedral In the background make for spectacular views at night when lit up.

Owner and staff always on hand for anything we needed but never in the way

Would stay here again in a heart beat as this place doesn't try to be flash as it not like most hotels, or chain hotels as it has a personal touch to it..

This would be a amazing place in the summer when warmer to sit out at night and watch the sun set and cathedral light up and swans swimming around..

10/10 from me

Room Tip: 1 that looks over the river..just ask staff when booking for a rear facing room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Curryhollic
london
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just returned from a week-end break here and had an ok time. I,m normally reasonably generous when reviewing but felt the Grasmere needed to do some upgrading . I don't mind wear and tear in old hotels in fact it makes them kinda nice but this was a hotel needing some tlc. Firstly the pluses
1) Staff.. very attentive and pleasing.
2) Location.. At its best in summer i can imagine a Pimms looking out over the river Nadder and Cathedral.. Also its just a nice gentle 15 minute stroll into town.. excellent.
But ....
Rooms .... We had a large room with 4 poster bed .. looked great.. The bathroom was tired and ceiling was flaky. The shower was fine heat and power wise but had a mind of its own and kept falling towards the floor causing me to hold it with one hand while washing with the other. A job with the Cirque De Soleil can't be far away.
Food .. breakfast was fine but we had a Valentines Evening Supper which was a bit of a mish-mash . My wives main course was a chicken breast stuff with cheese accompanied with a swede/mash combo olives and all sorts. Side veggies were carrots,large onions,cauliflower more potatoes in a gravy. Bit weird !
In the package was afternoon tea which i expected to be scones, jam etc . Turned out to be a piece of cake and a chocolate roll. More disappointing was the fact we came down in the evening to go out and it was still there.
I am a massive fan of this sight and sometimes reviews are what hotels need to put there house in order. I hope for the Grasmere they look at this and take some on board as it deserves to succeed on its staff alone.

3 Thank LondonLockwood
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night while passing through Salisbury and this hotel is ideally located. We looked for other hotels in and around the town but finding accommodation that provided suitable parking wasn't easy. This hotel is to the South of the town and just a 10 mins walk to the cathedral. We originally booked B&B but having walked around the town didn't find any places that appealed to have dinner, so elected to eat in (it's fine if you want the likes of Strada etc.). The hotel food was very good with a wide choice menu and we stayed in room 33 (a four poster) with a beautiful view (across the flooded river!) of the cahedral and spire. The town itself isn't much to write home about (all English towns these days are pretty much the same) and we weren't able to find a good pub for lunch, but peraps we'll look harder next time.

Steve and Jan Andrews

1 Thank Steve A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I recently organised a dinner for 27 people at the Grasmere House Hotel. It was an enormous success, thanks in no small part to the excellent food and service. I have had loads of compliments on the quality of the food, and am happy to pass them on.

The Grasmere does not pretend to be glitzy or flash, but it does have Salisbury Soul and a warm heart. Highly recommended.

I can't comment on the rooms, as we only ate there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business