“Could do with a clean”

Grasmere House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on business. I have stayed in loads of hotels in the last 4 months, so know what to expect.
Read about this one after it had been hooked for me by my company, so did not have much choice were to stay.
On arrival, met by two very pleasant young ladies, who were very professional. I was booked into room 9, which on previous reviews said the room smelt. It still does. I asked to me moved the second night, I was now in room 13. Although decorated exactly the same, it was a completely different room, it was a lot cleaner for a start and did not smell. ( management, please take note, sort the mouldy smell out). The beds are big and very very comfy. I feel sorry for the disabled as they would have no choice in moving rooms!.
The conservatory were dinner and breakfast is served could do with a damn good clean. The windows have not been cleaned since Adam was a lad! The roof blinds need taking down and emptying from dead flies and debris, the roof lights need de greasing and the window frames need a good clean aswell.
On the upside, they must be doing something right as it was obvious that they get a lot of repeat business.
The food on the bar snack menu was better than the dinner menu and half the price. One of the best curries I have had.
Once you look past the mucky veneer, it is a very nice place to stay.
Would I stay again, probs not unless they cleaned the public areas, and sorted a few problems out in the bedrooms.
Thanks

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank colandally

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel on arrival looks fantastic.....but that's where it ends, the receptionists on arrival was not that friendly and later when we asked for a couple of glasses of orange juice to go out on to the patio was very frosty. Our room had a nice view of the cathedral through French Doors which were surrounded by mold, this also gave a peculiar smell to the room, outside the doors was someones snotty tissue stuck to the paving slab, we were there for two days....as was the tissue!
The towels were an off putting white with a yellow tinge and one of them had something brown and crusty stuck to it....nice. Shower was supposed to be wheelchair friendly but with only a small fold down seat to sit on and no safety grab rails it was all a bit precarious so a strip wash in the basin was what I got.....not great for 2014, the patio area was also approached by steps and not ramped.
Breakfast was a bit transport cafe, help yourself and not what we expected for the money.
Would we stay here again....no, its a shame as this place could be lovely, it needs a good going through, cleaning,decorating and just modernizing slightly.

Room Tip: Be careful if you are a wheelchair user, the room I had No 9 didn't have a suitable wheelchair s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank midge1964
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My husband & I chose Grasmere House as our wedding venue, primarily for the gorgeous views & the space offered by the wonderful lawn. The Grasmere hosted the lot; ceremony, wedding breakfast, evening do & several of our guests stayed overnight.

From start to finish the staff were amazing, a number of meetings with Babs & many e-mail exchanges went into planning our day. Babs was very accomodating and allowed us every whim; cider kegs on the lawn, a vintage ice cream bike, a band... She also made helpful suggestions backed up by her experience. The best one being that my bridesmaids & I have the apartment the night before and to get ready in on the morning of the wedding...

The apartment was very spacious and we had plenty of room for nail technician, hair dresser, make-up artist, photographer and a bridal party of 6. We did move one of the sofas and uncover a stray Malteaser & party popper bits from previous guests, perhaps a little more thorough cleaning is in order... Also, the venue was hosting a local school prom, we could hear the music from our rooms, this did not bother us, and doubtless was the case for guests on the night of the wedding who would have heard our band. Maybe different people may've been troubled by the noise...

The wedding went without a hitch, Babs was ever watchful, without being an intrusive presence. I had given her a list in the week before the wedding, nothing was missed.

Our guests commented on the quality of the food served at our wedding breakfast, which was excellent.

Our guests were spread between the lawn, bar, conservatory and lounge, all offered up for use for the wedding. It made a massive difference to our day that our guest of honour was permitted to attend, this hotel is dog friendly !!

The hotel had allowed us to check out of the apartment late (up until the ceremony), but issued keys for out Friday night rooms early. This was very helpful. My husband & I had a gorgeous room with a four poster bed, the decoration was in keeping with the age of the hotel & "the vibe" of a city proud of its history.

The conservatory was reserved for guests from the wedding to have breakfast together in. The buffet is perhaps a little limited but, I challenge anyone to go hungry, as there is a reasonable choice.

Finally, I must mention the diligent staff, one chap in particular who was so good to my elderly grandfather who has limited mobility. The staff on reception are very friendly and those who were working behind the bar worked very hard. The bar is very small and so there was often a but of a queue even with a barman working his socks off...

Thank you to all for making our wedding the perfect day we wanted.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Imogen D
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The staff at this place goes out of their way to make the customer happy. We had lunch here, and were stuck with more than 40 kids in the pouring rain. The staff helped us in all ways in order to make sure that the kids were happy. The place is beautiful, and we would stay here in the future!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights (25-26th June) in room 2 as we were attending a wedding here. First impressions were that the reception area was dated, staff on the check in were friendly enough. Our room was a double, it was a good size and had a lovely view of the cathedral and an especially nice view of the conservatory roof which was covered in cigarette ends and beer cans. The breakfast room was directly below and the noise from this room woke us up at 7am both mornings, so if you want a lie in don't stay in this room! The main complaint of our room was the state of the bathroom, which contained a jacuzzi bath which you were unable to use as the taps had been removed. The shower was clearly inept and was incapable of staying in one position, they was no shower curtain so the entire room was drenched upon showering and the bath had no non-slip surface or mat to prevent slipping (we did report this as a health and safety hazard, and a few hours later received a newly bought one that they had just bought from the local supermarket). There was also a lot of mould around the bathroom especially where there were loose side panels that were coming away. I definitely would not pay £100 a night for this room! The general cleanliness (cobwebs on chandeliers and in common areas, leaking in the reception with a bucket positioned to collect the leak) and maintenance was poor. As a wedding venue it was nice, and the food was good, as a hotel, it was definitely under-performing especially given the comments I can see here I was expecting better quality.

Room Tip: don't stay in room 2!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicky T
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here overnight after working a very long day. Great welcome on arrival, super room with outstanding countryside views. Bed was extremely comfortable and everything was immaculately clean. Plenty of parking, great location i only wish I could have spent more time exploring the other facilities on offer. Next time!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

'Officially the best hotel that we've ever stayed in'. This was the unanimous view of the children. Why? Decor? Ambiance? Luxury? Well, more to do with the 3 bars on the wi-fi.

Actually, this was quite a nice hotel, with a touch of the Fairlawn about it. Maybe a dash of Hinge and Bracket, as well? The staff were very amiable. For its price, this hotel offers value and is a good base to explore the area.

And the irony? Apparently, they organise Fawlty Towers dining evenings. Of course they do.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family