“Thanks for a great night”

Milford Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I recently stayed at the Milford Hall Hotel and attended an ABBA Tribute function. The whole night was fantastic, the entertainment was brilliant, the Food was excellent and the atmosphere electric.

This was topped off by a great night sleep ( I am going to buy a VI-spring bed myself now I know how comfortable they are) and a full english in the Morning-Fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 June 2008

17/06/2008 We booked Milford Hall for my Fathers 80th Birthday Lunch the Fontwell Room for 14 Guests. The chosen menu looked good.
The events manager was very helpful and the room was nice and the table looked great but I am afraid the food was not so great.

To say the meal could have been better is unfortunately an understatement. It is always difficult to complain on the day and we of course did not as nobody wants to spoil a special event and when there are 12 lunches that should have been sent back to the kitchen it is something of a problem – what else can be prepared in time!!

The starter was excellent and we had high hopes but the main course of Roast Beef was appalling. The meat was tough over cooked, black and virtually inedible, my pets get better meat. The Yorkshire pudding was like rubber and all the meals were served cold including the vegetables not one guest was impressed.

The desert a Panna Cotta was not set - more like Panna Cotta custard.
The lunch service was perfunctory, lacking in humour and certainly not within the spirit of the celebration.
I am afraid that I will not be recommending Milford Hall to anybody in relation to the quality of the meals, very second-rate considering that it advertises an AA Rosette.
Very disappointed and when I paid the bill I felt like I had been robbed.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank molleygrand
Reviewed 23 April 2008

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel on three occassions in the past two years and it remains consistently very good and we would not even consider another local hotel for our weekend breaks.
The bedrooms are comfortably furnished, of a good size and the power shower is the right medicine to wake up to after an evening of wining and dining with friends in what are charming surroundings. The food is good, excellently presented and of a belt loosening quantity per portion which is unusual for an AA rosetted restaurant where the modern thinking is so often a huge plate with a small amount of food in the centre of it.
There is a cheerful friendly approach from all of the staff we have come into contact with and it is always nice to see the same staff during our repeat visits.
All in all a very good hotel, well situated in a lovely City. We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2008

This is a reasonably positioned hotel with ample parking and within walking distance of the centre of Salisbury. The photos on the website give the impression it is something it is not. Don’t expect anything special as this is best described as a functional hotel, the sort of place to stop off when on a business trip. Reception staff were helpful and both check-in and out were quite and efficient. There is a bit of a down market feel about the place, like it is run very much on a tight budget to maximise the return for the owners. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet though a little tired. Only the bear minimum of shampoo and soap was provided meaning a shower in the evening and morning required a request for more. The restaurant staff at breakfast were not a cheery bunch, indeed one young lady looked quite disgruntled at guests pitching up for service, having a face like a slapped [--]. Perhaps I’m spoiled as I’m used to my smiling wife at the breakfast table Breakfast itself was uninspiring, the quality of the food being poor, and the service lack lustre. Would I stay again? Yes if couldn’t find anywhere better in the area. As said earlier, a functional and convenient place to stay,

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Even though the hotel looks nice in the pictures its a different story on the inside. We only stayed one night in a suite in the old part of the hotel and even though it was old fashonied in look and decor it still left a lot to be desired.

The room smelt of cheap air freshener and was in need of at least a lick paint to bring it up to a decent clean looking standard.
The carpet was coming away from the floor leaving exposed sharp carpet grips. The bathroom was of a good standard but the SPA bath did not work and a very steep sharp tiled step that lead into the Bathroom making it very uncomfotable under foot and a little dangerous for young ones or elderly.

Food well i have never eaten food from an AA awarded hotel before and if this is the required standard then i never will again, The food came quickley (within minutes of ordering) which considering what we orderd was'nt bad. But when it arrived you could tell why,totally bland, luke warm and probally cooked from frozen or reheated, no effort or quality considerd. Food seems to be brought to you from the depths of the hotel passing the foyer and reception.
You could order food in drawing room but avoid doing this on a weekend or if there is football on sky. The TV was so loud.
But the staff were really helpfull and very welcoming.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2007

Forget the negative reviews because this place was terrific. After arriving in Salisbury without a reservation (and getting thoroughly lost trying to find a hotel), we went to the city tourist agency where they gave us a list of recommendations. This was the second site we checked out and loved it. The staff was pleasant and helpful and our upgraded room beautiful. Though the American dollar is down the toilet and we had to pay more on this trip than previous visits to the UK, the location and the room made it worth the extra. The rate for our room was 179 English pounds without breakfast and we got it for 139 with breakfast. Our room was clean & plush, beautifully decorated, large marble tiled bathroom, flat screen t.v., fireplace, nice carpeting, canopied bed, etc. The location was great and within a short walking distance to the town centre. Though we didn't have dinner in the restaurant, we did order room service dinner and it was good. A full English breakfast was included and the food and service was spot-on. No doubt, I'd recommend the hotel to anyone.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I have stayed at the Milford once a week for the last few months as I work two days a week in Salisbury. I think I have tried all the hotels in the city centre and this rates the highest.

The rooms are always clean and tidy, and when you're lucky and get an upgrade into the older part of the hotel they are very good - however, you should be aware that I get a corporate rate which means that mine is a reasonable price. Surprised by another review which didn't like the four poster room - I liked it. However, the bed itself is is small, so not recommended for honeymoon couples - or overweight ones . . .

The receptionists all know me by name and are very helpful. Bar staff are good. Manager is quietly efficient. All the staff say hello in the morning - a small thing, but I LIKE it! Generally don't eat in the Bistro, but on all four occasions that I did the food from the "specials" menu was well-cooked and of reasonable value.

Breakfast is always good quality with a solid range of cooked English. I like their poached eggs and mushrooms - good, big, flat and flavoursome.

Recommended, but be aware I AM a regular, so possibly get above-average service.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Chiefs_Watcher