“Well situated hotel with friendly staff let down by poorly maintained room”

Milford Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Milford Hall Hotel for 2 nights, arriving on Friday. The reception staff were very friendly and provided us with our room key and WiFi pass code.

Upon entering the room we immediately was hit by a stale smell where the room hadn't been aired. After further inspection there was a significant mould issue which caused the room to be very stale, and wallpaper to peel.

In addition, the air-con didn't work and the statutory signage was missing in the bathroom (I burnt myself on the boiling hot towel rail). Also the bathroom had mould in the grouting and around the bath fixtures.

In the bath I found long hairs which I thought were from the previous guest, but when I returned the next evening I found the same hairs in the cups by the kettle that had been washed (photos attached), which makes me think it was in fact the cleaners :(

Finally, I grabbed a couple of pillows from the wardrobe to put on the bed and found dirty marks on these.

The hotel staff were nice, but the £100 per night was not warranted I feel. I've included photographs of my room to support this review.

Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank guymayhew132
AmandaGuest, General Manager at Milford Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guymayhew132,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. Sorry to hear about your recent stay and that the room you were staying in did not meet your expectations.

As there are a number of concerns noted, I felt it was more fitting to personally write to you.

Hope to hear from you in the near future.

Kind Regards

Michael Hunter-West

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had no problems with our room. However, this hotel needs someone to come in and advise how a reception should be laid out. Onarrival at the hotel we were greeted by A boards advertising an Olly Murs tribute act in the autumn. Of no interest and immediately lowered the tone. The reception area is overloaded with notices and a showcase of jewellery - would anybody buy anything from this display? The reception area, complete with no receptionist who eventually came out with a mouthful if food immediately put us off having dinner in the restaurant. Probably a good choice after having experienced the breakfast. Poor quality buffet - fruit all tinned, hot food not well cooked. There was a menu on the table and when I queried if I could order something off it I was told that as it was Monday it was a buffet breakfast but if I wanted something off the menu it would involve a long wait. I decided not to upset the them by ordering anything. With the breakfast area over staffed I would have moved someone into the kitchen and offered a limited cooked quality menu. Our room was of a much higher quality than the poor presentation of the public areas. Could so easily be a top top hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We found the staff friendly and attentive, special mention , the lady on reception Saturday 21 June in the evening and Sunday 22 in the morning, also the two gentleman in the restaurant Saturday 21 at dinner

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AmandaGuest, Manager at Milford Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review on Tripadvisor, Sharon on Reception, The gentlemen in the Restaurant, plus the rest of the team have been communicated your favourable comments.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We arrived late Friday evening but the staff couldnt of been more helpful, the restaurant was not closed but definitely winding down, we were taken to our table and served immediately but not rushed and as a few things were no longer available on the set menu we were able to choose from the a la carte menu at no extra cost. We had an excellent meal and then had coffee out on the terrace, very late now but nobody tried to hurry us.
lovely rooms, very good breakfast and superb staff.
we will be back.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms at the back are very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank christine727

Thank you for taking the time to review Milford Hall Hotel on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to read such a great review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant furture.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed here back in February when the weather was biblically awful, and I had to stay on for a second night to avoid driving home through a storm. The hotel was ok, so when I returned to Salisbury, I booked here again. This time it was blue skies and warm sunshine.

This is the most English hotel I've stayed in recently, meaning pleasant but slightly awkward. The staff are helpful but in one or two cases decidedly odd. The rooms are comfortable but there is no lift. The corridors are narrow and labyrinthine. Breakfast was better than average, but the poached eggs were hard boiled and the replaement egg was only slightly less well done. I had a good evening meal here last time. The restuarant has furniture that appears to have come from an Austin Powers film set, and is decidedly uncomfortable. The bar is ok, with a terrace that would be great except it's in the car park. It is well positioned for central Salisbury, though it's actual position is far from scenic.

It's the kind of place that Brits will think is nice and Americans will moan about. For some reason it made me think about American attitudes to British dentistry. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rod_Pole

Thank you for taking the time to review Milford Hall Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased you got to enjoy blue skies and warm sunshine!

Glad to hear you will return and we look forward to welcoming you on another occasion.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just completed a very nice weekend break at this hotel. Excellent experience - nice room, good customer service, excellent outside Patio area, but Oh Dear, when we returned on Sat night for a nightcap at 10:45 we were greeted by a very surly Bar man, who, even though the Bar closed at 11:00, was very reluctant to serve us. Spoilt the weekend a little, but having said that, lovely gardens, nice to be able to park so close to the town, and an excellent choice for breakfast.

(Breakfast room could do with Air Con - very hot and humid!!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HiramHoliday
AmandaGuest, Manager at Milford Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to put a review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that the majority of your stay was as it should be but disappointed that one member of the team let the side down on this occasion. A meeting with the Bar Team has since taken place to ensure this does not happen again.

On a final note if you are resident at Milford Hall Hotel you are entitled to drink in the hotel lounge as long as you wish. Our Night Porter provides table service after 11.00pm.

We very much hope to welcome back on another occasion in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed overnight for a Girlie Birthday weekend 31ST May 2014 but what a disappointment, room was very clean and spacious but the service in the hotel let it down so much. After a lovely walk around the town centre Saturday afternoon headed back to the hotel for a nice glass of chilled wine on the terrace, so we thought, waited at least 15 minutes to be served, no bar staff. When the wine was eventually brought to us it was just ‘plonked’ down on the table, no coasters. Same again for the next glass, no staff and no coasters.

The evening meal, sat at a table that seemed to have legs shorter on one side than the other. The waiter had to ‘go under’ the table twice during our meal to replace the temporary fix to stop the table ROCKING FROM SIDE TO SIDE when they brought our food AND whilst we were eating. Not a pleasant meal or experience really.

THEN BREAKFAST, pointed to a table, not shown, sat for 15 minutes before catching the eye of a waitress waving my hands to ask for coffee, when this eventually turned up we asked if we could have skimmed milk if possible, to be told ‘IT IS’ !! The coffee was awful it left a film around the cup and seemed like it had been made 30 minutes before hand. Decided to ask for poached eggs from the breakfast menu, when these were delivered we helped ourselves to some bits from the buffet. Sat back at our table only for a waiter to appear with two plates of poached eggs, we had been given another tables FRIED eggs which we left, what a waste and how embarrassing. We were not offered fresh eggs.
Overall not what it said on the tin, my advice would be stay at the hotel ROOM ONLY and you probably won’t go wrong?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SAC195530
AmandaGuest, Manager at Milford Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear SAC195530

Thank you for the review, it is only through reviews we are able to pinpoint our misgivings and improve for future guests.

I was pleased to read you liked your room and the cleanliness of the hotel and would stay with us again for these features. However it was really disappointing to hear of the service you received, I have carried out a review of our service during that period and spoken to the management on duty. You will of read the other reviews on this site and realised that our staff are usually our best asset, but as with all humans, mistakes can be made and it would appear that we certainly did not live up to the large majority of our reviewers opinions on our staff during your stay.

Please accept my apologies for this. Service is very important to us at the Milford Hall, so I would like to be able to apologise in person for our errors on this occasion, As we only have your tripadvisor name, I would be grateful if you could telephone the hotel, so I can apologise in person.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Amanda