“Excellent experience, quirky and cool!”
Review of The Chapter House

The Chapter House
Ranked #6 of 59 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Had a lovely 1 night stay in this quirky Tudor building-wonky stairs, low beams, slanted floors all added to the experience. Our room had been decorated in a modern, relaxing style with a huge tv and ipod docking station, a very sheek bathroom with luxury toiletries too. The free wine was a nice touch. Wondered around looking for a restaurant and ended up back at the hotel in the steak house. We wished we had stayed there from the start as the food was delicious (a little slow but it was a busy Friday night and the staff were attentive). Steaks cooked just how you like and other options too. The whole pub and restaurant continues the cow theme with cow hide chairs, pictures etc, The waiting staff were confident and friendly, offering advice on menu choices and checking up on us. We had a really lovely stay and would definitely go again although we would ask for a different room because they are all decorated in different styles! Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: ask about decorative styles of rooms-not all are shown on website which is a shame

Reviewed 30 August 2011

Reviewed 30 August 2011

A good bed in a clean room with a proper shower is enough for me. We stayed at The Lazy Cow Salisbury for two nights in August. I think we had the smallest sized room but it was more than enough for us. The bed was really comfortable and the room was like a quirky log cabin. The shower was brilliant! In addition they have chosen to give some really important extras like nice toiletries (White Company), a selection of teas and coffee, a bottle of wine and a bottle of water (a really nice touch) and bathrobes. The staff are really friendly and the breakfast excellent. They have decorated the place well and retained some of te building's old character. Salisbury is a great place for a weekend away. The Lazy Cow has a great location next to the cathedral. They also have an arrangement for parking with the hotel next door. We parked for free there. Highly recommend The Lazy Cow as a place to stay where you feel welcomed and want a bit of good value luxury.

Room Tip: The smallest is still good!
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at The Lazy Cow as a treat to ourselves having not been away since our honeymoon last year, we got a deal with KGB and I’m not sure whether this impacted on the room we were given but that’s what it felt like. We had been looking forward to staying at TLC; I had poured over their website and was very excited at the prospect of staying at what looked like such a nice hotel. I emailed the hotel the week before to confirm our booking and check what the check in time was, I was told that check in was at 3pm but the earlier we got there the better room we got. We arrived at TLC at just gone 12pm and were shown to room 10, a Moo Room, I’m assuming that you have to get to the hotel at the crack of dawn to get one of the better rooms.

The inside of our room was lovely with lots of room around the bed, there was a clock/iPod dock, large TV, cow horn lamps and a coffee maker with lots of different teas and coffees. We were also left a bottle of wine and bottle of water which were nice touches. The room details online said that there would be chocolates in the room but we didn’t have any, which really isn’t a big deal but I thought it worth mentioning in this review. Our room had a shower rather than a Jacuzzi bath, I’m not sure what I was expecting of a Monsoon shower but our shower was just a regular shower with a larger head than normal. The White Company toiletries were a nice touch. The swag bag wasn’t what I was expecting; it’s basically just a reusable shopping bag. Our TV only seemed to have Freeview on it, whether it was my husband and I who were unable to find the Sky TV and HD movie channels or if our room didn’t have that I don’t know. Again, not a big deal.
What really, really disappointed me about our stay is the location of our room. Room 10 overlooks the back of the hotel and is above the kitchen. It’s the area where restaurant staff went for their breaks so we often had crowds of people outside our room smoking and talking loudly. I felt very uncomfortable about this so we kept the curtains and blinds shut most of the time we were there. The fire escape stairs were right outside one of the bedroom windows and at one point when I was coming out of the bathroom (which faced the window) a member of staff walked up the stairs, cue me closing the blinds and keeping them closed for the remainder of our stay. In addition to staff spending their breaks outside our bedroom window we also had a lovely view of the hotel bins as well as empty beer kegs and oil barrels. We also had constant humming from the kitchen fan right outside our window, when we were in our room we had to put the TV on just to block out the noise and on the first night I found it very hard to get to sleep due to a combination of staff outside (at gone 11pm) and the fan droning on. If we had paid full price for our trip to the TLC I would have been incredibly upset. I would advise people to ask not to be put in room 10 when booking.

The bathroom was small but adequate for us, the only negative aspect of it was that at least one of the floor tiles was loose, the toilet seat was cracked as well as the tiles in the shower. Considering TLC has only been open since July this seems odd.
On our first night we decided to eat in TLC restaurant, we were tucked away in a quiet window seat which allowed us to people watch. We decided against a starter and went straight for the main course; I had the Josper Fried Chicken with BBQ sauce which was wonderful. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the sauce was just right. It came with a pout of chips but no veg unless I wanted to pay £2.75 for one of the sides. My husband decided to order the 8oz sirloin; he had wanted a larger steak (as an American he’s used to larger steaks than 8oz) but he baulked at the prices. £17.50 for a small steak and just fries is excessive. I managed to find room to have a desert at the end of our meal, I ordered the pavlova from the specials menu. After a 20-25 minute wait it finally came, I’m not sure why it took so long and no explanation was given by the waitress. For a glass of wine, two cokes, two mains and one desert our bill was £42.50.
All in all our trip to Salisbury was a good one but we felt very let down by the location of our room, we had to put up with loud staff, constant droning of the kitchen fan and a door near our bedroom that only ever slammed shut. I probably would stay at TLC again but I would ask for a quieter room as I would have felt very hard done by had I paid the upwards of £260 they want for a two night stay (a price which apparently doesn’t include breakfast, shockingly).

The Good:
Location
Interior of the room

The Bad:
Outside noise
Inside noise from the door in the corridor slamming each time someone went through it (especially the maids first thing in the morning – the linen closet was next to our room)
TLC doesn’t have its own car park, the Mecure next door lets guests at TLC use their car park for £10 a night. This isn’t advertised on TLC’s website.
No complimentary breakfast, not sure if this is because we booked through KGB but their website states “And wake up refreshed to an American style breakfast complimentary when you book any room with us.”

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get put in room 10
1  Thank Ch3ryl85