“Out of pocket!”
Review of The Chapter House

The Chapter House
Ranked #6 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We called the lazy cow to make a dinner reservation for 1930 as my partner and I hate eating late, they said we could have 1945. On arrival we were not seated at our table until 2030! A 45 minute wait was not acceptable if you have booked.

We were also very cold as the radiators were not on and we were seated by the window which had an evident breeze!

I had the tempura prawns and my partner had pork tacos- The prawns were lovely however for £8 I did not expect to only have 3 of them. My partners tacos were lovely.

For mains I ordered the Aberdeen Fillet steak and my partner ordered the Argentinean fillet steak as we wanted to see the difference. We had already waited around 12 minutes when the waiter came over and said the chef had cooked ribeye instead. He asked my partner if he would like that and he declined.

We then had to wait a further 15 mins for our meal, we were given a complimentary drink each for the mix up. My partners steak was much smaller than mine although presented on the menu as the same weight. Both steaks were nice but nothing to write home about.

To top it off I went to the loo before leaving and was disgusted! There were empty tampon boxes on the floor and in the loo and there was toilet roll everywhere. I feel if you cant even keep check of the bathroom what on earth is going on in the kitchen!

We ended up leaving the Lazy cow very late and very deflated.

It was a very expensive meal costing over £90 and we did not even buy a bottle of wine! They seriously need to re-think their costing if the experience does not match the price.

What a shame!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jules6525
There are newer reviews for The Chapter House

Reviewed 1 February 2013

qirky hotel with lots of interesting thinks to look at. nice helpful busy staff, loved the chillaxing vibe in the bar.
The food was delicious, and in my eyes cooked to perfection. I dont eat onion rings but my son had them and I had to try them as they looked that good. They were that good! Yum.
The room was great, impressive bed.
breakfast was simply the best, I left the room so fullfilled relaxed and happy.
loved my short stay.
definately go back

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nettie1986
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Wife and I booked a weekend away with friends in January 2013 for one night - our first time in Salisbury.The Lazy Cow is certainly quirky - the old main building and its staircase slope at various angles due to its age, so avoid getting drunk as you may never reach your room upstairs in one piece.

We were in room 15 at the very top, and although it was clean, good size and in a funky cow theme - the state of the old window above the road was a disaster. The window frame looks like it was very old, maybe even original, but was in serious need of renovation as large gaps of daylight (and January cold air) were obvious when we were shown up to the room. To be fair, the staff did offer one remaining room as an alternative when I expressed some concern, but it was much smaller and in the more recent annex - so we stayed put.

Seriously.... if you book this hotel and are offered room 15, ask if window has been renovated with draughts and road noise addressed (before you arrive or before they show you to the room) otherwise avoid like the plague. You won't get a good night sleep as the traffic noise from road below is BAD!! You've been warned...

Our friends almost escaped unscathed - but their room (6) sprung a leak in the ceiling overnight. On closer inspection, it appears the ceiling had been patched a few times before in the same spot.

Meal in the restaurant was nice as was breakfast the next morning.

I guess an old building like this is a real challenge with upkeep - but I think the Lazy Cow is in need of some TLC in a few areas.

Room Tip: Avoid room 15 on top floor!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pickyfromWales
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed at The Lazy Cow one cold and snowy January and although did not send much time at the hotel it was warm and welcoming. We stayed in a room in the main section of the hotel, which was very dark and dramatic with sloping floors and walls to match. Although does not help when you have had a few too many wines! Decor of the bedroom was in keeping with the age of the building and good size. We ate in the restaurant for lunch on one of the days and most of our party enjoyed one of the many steak options on offer. My vegetarian option was however a little lack luster, quite small for a main dish and not overly tasty but then it is a Cow themed place so I wasn't expecting it to be great. However, it might not take much for them to improve their only one main veggie dish. Service was also a little slow for it being very quiet...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We were 4 and a baby, we like the big room.
Restaurant was really good, soup excellent, and beef of course ! It seems to be new.

Un hotel ancien, avec du bois foncé, des éclairages doux, un beau volume. L'accueil est adorable, le restaurant très bon et la salle confortable.

Room Tip: no noice in the street, it is the same everywhere, old building, floor and wood everychere is old...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Me and my partner went here for a mid week break after a hectic Xmas working in the same trade. The staff on arrival were pleasant and helpful showing us to our room. We stayed in the room called "log shack" it was spacious and cosy after our long journey. We later on that evening had food in there restaurant. I had BBQ chicken wings which were amazing and my partner has chinese chicken lettuce wraps. Then we both had two steaks and onion rings which were plated infront of us and cooked to perfection. Specialy as my partners quite fussy. We then decided to indulge even more with desserts which are in large shot glasses and you can pick as many as you want. They were all beautifully presented as the rest of the meal had been. The waitresses fufilled all of our needs answering any questions we had and we attentive yet not invasive. We had a lovely time and are already looking to book to go again. This is defiantly somewhere you should visit. I no we will be back. The one and only criticism I have is there's no parking with the hotel but there is pleanty of parking a minutes walk away.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Happened upon this restaurant for lunch after walking around the cathedral - what a find! The staff were friendly, attentive and extremely helpful. We were given all the menu's but chose off the "2 courses for £9.95" as all the choices sounded delicious - we were not disappointed! We had the most delicious meal and lovely wine all for under £45. The ambience was so nice that I wanted to book in for an overnight stay and eat dinner there also. This is the only time I have felt compelled to write a review and The Lazy Cow is worth a visit by even the top foodies out there! Well done.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple