“Valentine's nite”
Review of The Chapter House

The Chapter House
Ranked #6 of 58 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Well the lazy cow..what can I say , they got the lazy part right...I go to alot of hotels and I feel this one has been the worst. .very disorganised. .no communication from the staff..they didnt even ask how our stay was..
I got to the room to find no toilet rolls..toilet seat not secured to toilet..dirty mould on the bath mat..floor tiles cracked..dirty marks all over the floor..I was so disappointed with the whole stay..

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Chapter House

Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

On the surface it looked like a great stay....alas not. I have had a more comfortable nights sleep camping without an air mattress. Worst bed ever!! Plus the shower dripped LOUDLY all night despite attempts to shut it off.
Lazy Cow? More like 'Pig in a Tuxedo'. What a disappointment!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skokibear
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed on a Thursday night during a business trip. The staff were friendly and helpful. There's nothing bland about the rooms - fun, individual and well equipped, with a quirky, contemporary design. The breakfast was also delicious. All that said, the hotel's guest wi-if is weak to the point of being useless despite apparent recent upgrade, which made my stay very difficult. The popularity of the bar and restaurant also mean it's inevitably rather noisy for business travel. I changed rooms to try to escape it, without success.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The Lazy Cow is a beautiful old building with crooked stairs and quirky sloping floors, but unfortunately the charm ends there. Our room was nice enough, but clearly had not been cleaned as there were bits of rubbish on the carpet - and even a dirty sock that must have been left by the previous guest. The bathroom was very large, but I couldn't get the shower to produce hot water.

Our rate included breakfast so we hoped that might make amends in the morning. Unfortunately it was also a massive disappointment. After being ignored for about 15 minutes we went and found the waitress and asked her to take our order. I opted for the full cooked breakfast, but the waitress then came back and told me there would be a 20 minute wait as the sausages were frozen, so I said I would leave the sausages. Even without the sausages our breakfasts took over 30 minutes to arrive and we had to prompt the waitress to go and check on them. There were only 2 other couples in the restaurant but we heard the waitress apologise to them for similar delays.

When the breakfast finally arrived, the bacon was cold and extremely tough and fatty, the fried eggs were cold and for some reason the chef seemed to have added (a lot) of salt to the egg yolks.

I told the waitress that the breakfast had been really poor, but instead of apologising or asking what the problem was, she simply said "OK I'll tell the chef" and walked off.

We were given money off for the dirty room and as we checked out another couple told us their room had also been filthy. We will not stay here again and I get the impression the staff couldn't care less.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cubanodave
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband booked a table for my birthday - a Monday very early in December as I'd had a good meal there in the summer.
On walking through the door there was a blackboard in the entrance advertising mulled cider - perfect for a cold evening I thought.
We were shown to our table in the fairly empty restaurant and were given menus to be told that the majority of steaks weren't available - only fillet or sirloin!!!!! We were then asked for our drinks order; I asked for mulled cider to be asked twice 'Thatchers or Aspinall?' (I think these were the two brands), each time I said 'no, mulled cider'. In the end I had to tell the waitress to go to the bar after checking out the blackboard, when she returned she said that mulled cider wasn't available so I ordered a margarita.
Our food order was eventually taken and I made a point of ordering a blue sirloin steak stating 'blue and when I say blue I mean blue' - as too many restaurants think you secretly want medium rare.
After about 10 minutes and no drinks, I asked for them, unfortunately the margarita was insipid and not chilled - not good...
Starters arrived and these were perfectly acceptable - nothing more, nothing less.
I ordered two mojitos as they were two for the price of one. I was asked if I wanted them both together or one now and the other later. I opted for the one now, one later choice. Again, after 10 minutes, I had to ask for one then both were brought over!!!
Eventually the steaks were brought out and you've already guessed it, my steak was medium rare so back it went. Another steak was brought out - perfectly cooked but it was still chilled. Call me picky but it should have been brought up to room temperature before quickly searing it but at this point I was losing the will. I will say that the creamed spinach was delicious.
We paid the (full) bill and left, noting that the blackboard offering mulled cider was still by the entrance...
I really do believe the management needs to seriously review it's operation from start to finish as I felt as if I was starring in my own episode of Fawlty Towers noting that there were no more than four tables with two waitresses at any one time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Montypaws
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Really hard not to mention that our waitress was the perfect poster girl for the name of this establishment…

Avoid. You can find just as good a fillet steak elsewhere.

I don't like giving a poor review here, you can tell from my history that I only tend to praise and find the best in even the worst at times, but this restaurant is absolutely deserving of a poor review purely based on the service and I would like to save other diners the bother of having to deal with it at all.

We visited on a slow evening, there were only a couple of tables occupied, and I had heard word of mouth not to expect the best, but wasn't prepared for the worst service I've ever had. It wasn't just that it was slow… normally I don't care about that sort of thing…there is just no need to be unpleasant when one is serving food to people regardless of how much they spend.

The fact that we opted for the most expensive steaks and decent wine does come with a bit of a feeling that one is paying for quality, in addition to timely and pleasant service, but we felt a bit out of pocket after it all and didn't even leave a tip. I haven't ever not left a tip in similar establishments around the world, ever.

If this is someone's idea of creating a "posh" steakhouse in small town Salisbury… good luck to you because whoever is training or employing your staff clearly doesn't care about that fundamental aspect of customer service. A shame for me really as it would have been nice to have it a s a regular haunt, but no way am I going back.

What a pity I didn't read up on it here before going as I may have had the guts to complain at the time and get a free meal at least. While the steaks were cooked to our order and tasty, the whole aura of our service ruined things and we couldn't wait to leave.

To add insult to injury, the bill was wrongly calculated so we had to wait even longer to see that aspect set right as well.

What a terrible shame...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlternativEnglish
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Simply the best steak I have every had the pleasure to experience. The aging fridge that is visible from the restaurant displays the clearly cared for meat, which added with the chefs clear passion for food presentation and the use of the jospar oven gives unbeatable taste.
I also enjoyed the goats cheese Panacotta which was a nice light way to start.
For me the most impressive thing is that the food is 1st class and unlike usual, this is a very quirky, cool , welcoming and relaxing place to be.

A must for anyone visiting Salisbury

• Stayed: January 2014