“Quality coffee on the high street”

Boston Tea Party Salisbury
Ranked #7 of 20 Coffee & Tea in Salisbury
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Boston Tea Party is a small family owned independent café group serving simple well-prepared food & drinks made with great ingredients, skill and love. Ethically sourced, affordable, feel-good & excellent quality - made from scratch onsite everyday by people who care about what they do. BTP Salisbury opened in one of Salisbury’s most historic buildings, the Old George Inn which dates back to 1314. It would be hard to overstate the historical significance & pedigree of this Grade 1 listed building. William Shakespeare is believed to have performed one of his plays in its courtyard, Oliver Cromwell slept here on his way to join the army, Samuel Pepys wrote about the Inn in his diary after a stay & both H G Wells & Charles Dickens made mentioned of it in their writings.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Quality coffee on the high street”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have been working my way through the cafes in Salisbury and this is one of the better ones. One of the baristas boasted that they make the best coffee on the high street and I am inclined to agree. My small americano was actually the right size and not the bucket of brewed charcoal that I would have gotten for the same order in Starbucks. It wasn't the best coffee I'd ever had, but it was tastier than I was expecting and I would absolutely drink it again.

The food was also impressive, served in generous portions at reasonable prices considering the extortionate price of a sandwich at Starbucks, Costa, et al. I remember being less impressed when I tried their breakfasts, but their lunch menu seems to be pretty solid. I'm not a tea person, but my boyfriend is and he enjoyed the tea here a great deal.

I do have a recurring problem, however, which is that in all 3 of the trips I have been to BTP I have had to change my order because something was either sold out or had been cut from the menu entirely. This is forgivable on occasion but it has happened literally every time I've gone there and it is getting tiresome. The staff have even started putting up signs to alert customers as to which menu items are no longer available, which is a nice gesture but fails to solve the underlying issue.

Despite this complaint, BTP looks like it's in a strong position to be the premier coffee shop of the Salisbury high street. I would recommend it for people looking for a quick coffee and/or a light lunch.

• Visited August 2014
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Salisbury, responded to this review, 12 October 2014

We have been working on ensuring menu is fully available at all times and I am confident you will be pleasantly surprised on your next visit

“Boston Tea Party”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Boston has always been great since it opened in Salisbury and previously I would have graded it 5 stars. However recently it has gone down hill, I keep trying in case it gets better, but it hasn't. The coffee wasn't great - I had to ask for it to be remade (and I'm not that fussy normally), the staff aren't as switched on or as efficient as they used to be and the toilets are always messy/not as clean as they should be. Boston - you need to start trying harder and get back to how great you used to be.

1 Thank Andrea V
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Salisbury, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We have recently changed the entire team, from top to bottom, as it was noticed that standards were slipping. We are now in the process of training a new team to get our standards back to our usual high bench mark. Keep trying, the team we have got now are great they just need a little bit more time to get confident with what they are doing and shine

southampton
“Much improved recently”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's nice to see that Boston Tea Party is getting back to its old self. As a regular customer I had noticed a drop in customer service, and a distinct disorganisation and discontent amongst the staff. However my last 2 visits have been much more enjoyable with good fast upbeat service. I thoroughly enjoyed my latte and eggs royal, that almost beat me to the table.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for your review. We have recently had an entire change of team from top to bottom and we are now trying to drive the standards back to where they should be.

We look forward to seeing you in store soon
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Relaxed and relaxing coffee shop”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

BTP, as it's known locally, is a great place to grab a drink to catch up with friends, read a paper, or stop for a bite to eat. They have a good selection of hot or cold drinks and if you order one of their tea varieties it comes with suggested brewing instructions. Their homemake cakes are lovely including some dairy free ones (and they offer soya milk for drinks too)! The food is nice generally - it's particularly good for veggies or vegans, and the breakfast or brunch menu is a highlight.
If you were looking to find fault - then it could be said that the outdoor seating area isn't great as it's really busy with shoppers walking through. There can be big queues at the coffee bar, the 'great hall' can be cold in the winter, and the wifi can be very slow. Those things aren't an issue for me, so it's still one of my fave places in Salisbury.

• Visited July 2014
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Salisbury, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
thankyou for your review, i am glad you enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of our incredable 13th century building, this is exactly what we are aiming for.....and we have new heaters coming for the winter
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Needs to do better”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

With much competition on the high street coffee shops need to offer a good experience. Sadly this was not. Too few staff meant poor service. Ran out of glasses and just half way through - literally half way - serving a customer one member of staff walked out for her break. I fully understand the need for a break but managers to to organize this better. Customers queuing for drinks having already paid is not what I would expect. Less staff on the tills please and more on preparation.

• Visited July 2014
thankyou for your review, we have now ordered a lot more glasses and all other bits needed to ensure we do not run out. We have also reviewed all other issues