“A Period Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Bluerobboman
“A Period Hotel”
Reviewed 11 June 2008

Under new management this is a hotel in a period building dating back to the 12th century. Although having read mixed reviews, I found the staff to be both very helpfull and willing to go out of their way to assist with those little things which can make a difference to a stay. The hotel itself is full of character which is expected from a building some 800 years old. It is situated centrally within Salisbury with it's own restaurant with several others within the city covering all kinds of tastes. An overall enjoyable experience for thoes who like our English heritage.

• Liked — The Friendly and Helpful Staff
  • Disliked — No air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Bluerobboman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
comox, bc, canada
Reviewed 4 April 2008

We recently stayed at the Kings Arms Hotel in Salisbury, England, and found everything to be great: accommodations, personnel, the pub on-premises. The doorways are sometimes low, so don't bump your head. I recommend this one. Very near the beautiful cathedral (with its own copy of Magna Carta).

1 Thank comoxfolks
Poole
Reviewed 7 October 2007

The hotel is in an old building near the cathedral and not far from the city centre. As it's such an old building the floors are at different heights which takes some getting used to but makes the place feel individual. The rooms are a decent size and the bathrooms are well fitted out (although in a couple of places some of the fittings are a little worn).
However the problem is one of customer service - the staff are really helpful but are rarely around. I stayed Sun/Mon I wasn't told when I checked in that the restaurant was shut that night but happened to bump into the chef as I was trying to get into the restaurant who told me this and where I could go in Salisbury to find something. The breakfast room was locked both mornings when I got down at 7:15 and I had to wait for the waitress to come across to let me in (also on the first morning the chef hadn't turned up - although the waitress did a fine job of sorting me out with toast/cereal etc. so this wasn't too much of a problem). There isn't a phone in the room to contact reception so informing them of an issue I had with the shower was a bit tricky.

• Liked — Sense of history about the building
  • Disliked — Lack of staff around to meet your needs
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

somerset
Reviewed 2 October 2007

A friend and I decided to stay at this hotel for a girlie shopping weekend. I had stayed there before in 2004 and found the place very satisfactory.

It has since changed hands and all I can say is Wow what an improvement. The whole hotel is full of character and very cosy.

As to the food, well what can I say. I myself am a diabetic and also a very fussy eater. But the whole menu choice was very tempting. All the food is freshly prepared and cooked and the presentation is very good too. We both enjoyed the food very much and I can honestly say it is the best fish meal I have ever eaten in a Hotel/Restaurant. As to the home made icecream it just has to be tried to be believed!

All the staff were very approachable and friendly. Attention to even the smallest detail to make us feel welcome was excellent. We will definately return and recommend this hotel to anyone.

We would like to say a special thank you to Badger, Martin and Kieren.

Dawn and May

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank winkywonky
Merthyr Tydfil
Reviewed 5 August 2007

Stayed for one Saturday night in August 2007 and it cost £110 for one double room. The hotel is historic and because of this I was prepared to pay more money than usual. The room was basic and characterless, it has been modernised with ceiling lights and a flat screen television, but feels very shabby. It was clean and I was happy with the bathroom, but I wanted to feel as though I was staying in an old hotel and I did not. The room was at the front of the hotel and very noisy through the night. The wall had been patched up and not repainted, and the bottles of water in the room looked as though they had already been opened. I asked if I could change rooms because I was not happy and was told no. If you love historic hotels like myself, book into a cheap B and B and visit this hotel for a drink or a meal only, you will not be missing anything.

• Liked — Good Location
  • Disliked — Value For Money - £110 Far Too Much For Room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rainbirds
West Country
Reviewed 25 July 2007

As noted in some earlier reviews, this hotel is under new management. All I can say is that the new owners are doing an excellent job !!!! The rooms are very well appointed, full of character and very comfortable. The staff are all very friendly and welcoming. They were only too happy to help. The highlight of the stay was the restaurant. Recently refurbished (I understand that the kitchen is completely new !!), the restaurant is relaxed and very comfortable. The food is excellent. I was spoiled for choice from the menu, as several dishes appealed to me. The Chefs are to be congratulated on the fine flavours and tastes of all the dishes. I particularly loved the desserts, which are some of the best I have tasted. All in all, a great experience and THE place to stay in Salisbury !!!

• Liked — Historic building, friendly staff, rooms of character, with excellent restaurant
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Southwesttraveller40
london
Reviewed 6 July 2007

The reviews of this hotel have shown a marked improvement since 2003, with the arrival of new management. But the hotel seems to have undergone a further transformation with the arrival of the latest new owner / management in March this year. The building itself is very olde worlde with low sloping ceilings and uneven floors, but this adds to the charm, and the location is excellent.
The reception / bar / restaurant area has clearly been recently renovated (we were told the entire kitchen had been replaced) and was extremely comfortable and tastefully done. We did not eat in the restaurant but I would not have hesitated to do so based on appearances.
The room was pleasant - again had obviously been recently done up, but not quite to the same quality as downstairs. There were still signs of what it had been like before, and evidence of some corners having been cut, but all in all it was fine.
But the real selling point was the staff. They were incredibly friendly and helpful, going out of their way to see to every request or query; swapping rooms, giving directions to the best parking, arranging check out as late as we liked, and even offering us a lift in the pouring rain! The new management and new staff are clearly working extremely hard to make the place a success, and I'd say it was worth a try!

Stayed June 2007