“If you like a comfortable mattress - stay away”

The Kings Arms Hotel
and 1 more site!
The Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Staffs
“If you like a comfortable mattress - stay away”
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The whole purpose of staying in a hotel (for me) is to get a good night's sleep. In fact it's essential.

I stayed in 2 of the rooms because I complained that the mattress was so uncomfortable. To their credit, they moved me without any hassle at all - but the receptionist said that she'd spoken to the owner who told her the mattresses were all new. You could have fooled me! I was also told that I'm the only person who has complained about them - which surprised me.

The 2nd room was exactly the same, bed-wise, so I can only assume that the owner must have 'penny-pinched' and bought a job lot of cheap, thin, very wirey and lumpy mattresses. I had to fold the duvet in half and sleep with half of it under me to get any sort of sleep.

The plus side of moving to another room for my 2nd night was that it got me away from the traffic noise experienced at the front of the hotel - it was blissful from that point of view! It seems that the Salisbury youth enjoy their high revving sports cars and having a set of traffic lights right next to your room isn't great when you can't get to sleep - because of the very thin mattresses! Nightmare...

On the plus side (and I don't wish to appear over-critical) the hotel was very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. It's quirky in a good way - I like walking downhill from one side of the room to the other!! (Really)

I also liked being so close to the Catherdral.

I didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings so can't comment on the standard of dinner, but breakfast was fantastic!!

So - to sum up. If you don't mind being uncomfortable in bed - book now. The only thing that makes me book into another hotel (and I just have for another 2 night stay) are those awful beds. I'd book The King's Arms in a second if I could get a room on the quiet side and they got decent mattresses...

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Very well placed for the Cathedral and a 5 minute walk into the town centre. Although it does not have its own carpark there is a carpark nearby which is free if you arrive after 6pm and leave before 10am (on a sunday - i think its 8am all other days). Call Simon the manager for directions - he's very helpful. We had one of the 4-poster rooms (not the Kings room though) which was roomy and comfortable. A bit pricey but worth it for a treat.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 24 August 2009

I stayed this August one night in this nive hotel and we enjoyed the room, the service, the berakfast and the nice hospiitality of the personnel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
yorkshire
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Well, I cant really comment on cleanliness or facilities as I never got that far! I booked online on their horrendously inadequate and outdated website, for one night in the family room. I received a confirmation email stating total costs as £97.50. The next morning i received another email confirming my costs to now be £142.50!! I rang the hotel to ask about the reasons and was told that they charge £17.50 per extra bed and £7.50 for breakfast...for a child!!! I complained about this as there was no indication on the website or initial confirmation email that the costs could increase. The woman on the phone then proceeded to converse with someone in the background and i overheard her saying i had 3 BRATS!! Obviously i was extremely annoyed by this and asked to cancel my reservation...to which i was told that they would still charge the cost to my card as my arrival time was within 24 hours!! All in all a very unprofessional and rude service received and I would avoid at all costs!!

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank oooerrfoxy

Travellers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2009

My partner and I visted Salisbury for a two-day one night stay during our vacation to England. Loved the King's Arms hotel. It was very easy to find - great location right across the street from a gate to the spectacular Salisbury Cathedral close.

Arrived late in afternoon. Reception was well marked, nobody at the desk just had to duck around the corner to find a staff person inside the restaraunt. Check-in was very quick and friendly. We had booked the King Charles suite. This hotel is so quirky in a charming way - the floorboards, walls and stairs are well-worn and leaning every which-a-way, but everything appears in good working order. I found it a lot of fun to be staying there. The King Charles suite was huge - decorated with beautiful dark woods and "British Regal" styled furnishings. It felt like walking onto the stage of an historical drama!. Room was perfectly clean, well appointed, lots of closet space, a comfortable desk with free Interent access. Queen size four-poster bed was very comfortable and there was tons of space in the room to move around. Everthing in the room work well, including the combo tub/shower.

Had dinner late in the evening at the hotel restaurant - Chapter 69. It was very nice - good value - food was tasty and service was good and congenial. Also enjoyed a nice breakfast there the following morning. Parking was not a bring problem - we were accurately directed to a nearby car park (about 3 minutes away) and told exactly how much we would need to pay (about 3 pounds covered parking all Saturday evening, night and next day on Sunday).

The hotel is in the perfect spot to explore the town of Salisbury and the cathedral, which I think has one of the nicest settings of all Brithish cathedrals (and that's saying a lot!). The huge grassy area around the cathedral gives it a great majesty and makes it seem even larger than it is. Touring the inside is a real treat - and it's nice to be able to get back to the King's Arms in just a few minutes. Checked out at lunchtime and then drove on to visit Stonehenge (about 10 minute drive away - buses also available from Salisbury.)

The room was quiet - never heard other quests. The window of our suite did look out right onto the main street so there was traffic noise - while this wasn't a problem for us- a light sleeper may want to request a room that doesn't face out over the street.

If you want a central hotel with an historic charm, I don't think that you could do any better than the King's Arms Hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAR303
Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We stayed here for one night in a superior room. The room was large and had a very lard bathroom. It had a very uncomfortable mattress, but was quite clean. Because of the age of the building: floors are substantially uneven, concentration is necessary to navigate the stairwells, and we had to stoop to access certain parts of our room and bathroom. I do not recommend this property for anyone with physical limitations.These things add to the charm of the property, but it was a little too much charm for us. We had a car and parking was 5 pounds and in a lot behind the hotel shared with the Meridien. Location was great. The close is right across the street. The hotel's restaurant is excellent. We ate there for both dinner and breakfast. I do recommend the restaurant on site.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Western Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2009

A bit worried when we first showed up. Building looked old and a bit dodgy. But the room was great. The kids loved the room with its timbers and old fireplace. Correspondance with the hotel before arrival was prompt and honest. Close to Cathedral and shopping. Attached restaurant had great breakfasts. Overall good time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family