“Good but get a deal”

Cricket Field House
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We recently stayed there having found a deal on the web site. We had a very clean and comfortable room. The staff were outstanding. Breakfast was again good with the same high level of attention. Not sure what the price is normally for a stay but we paid around £60 which I thought was good value. Might not be willing to pay much more than £75 per night.

1  Thank Colin R

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here last night in a double room. Room was great. Very clean and spacious. Bed was really comfortable. Delicious breakfast - great selection of hot and cold options. Owners really make you feel very welcome. Would recommend to others.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank newman_david
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I should have known the type of B&B I was going to when I had to wait until 16:00 to checkin. When Checking In I informed them I was going on a tour of Stonehenge with Pat Shelly at 7:30am they didn't like it, PAYMENT WAS DEMANDED UPFRONT & I was told that Breakfast was only 8:30-9:30. They run an early check Out of 10:30 & NEVER TOLD ME!! They rang our tour guide at Stonehenge instead of me & we had to leave the tour early, arriving back to the Hotel at 11:30 their Manager threatened to charge us for another night if we were not gone by 12. Keeping cool & explaining we were unaware of their early checkout rules we went to get our belongings from our room ONLY TO FIND THEY HAD THE DOOR OPEN TO OUR ROOM AND HAD GONE THROUGH OUR BELONGINGS WITH THOUSANDS OF POUNDS OF TECHNOLOGY & UNDERWEAR ON DISPLAY TO ANYONE WHO PASSED BY THE DOOR!! I THINK THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE FOR ANY HOTEL OR B&B!!

(The staff also entered my room a second time the night previous to this I to "turn my light out" when I went to the local shops, when confronted they struggled for excuses & stated Fire Safety)

WHEN CONFRONTED ABOUT putting our belongings on display along with also entering our room the night before they became aggressive & thought they had done the right thing, Does this seem like a place you would like to stay??

One last thing, there is nothing around the B&B & you need to drive/get a taxi to do anything.

17  Thank Paul C
Andrew J, General Manager at Cricket Field House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

I have already responded to your partner's review of Cricket Field House, the fact that you too have decided to carry out your threats says more about your attitude than it does about Cricket Field House.
I hope that people reading your reviews will distinguish the difference between fact and fiction.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My daughter booked this as a surprise mid-week break for my wife's 50th birthday. This was probably one of nicest B&B's we have stayed in and I can't recommend it highly enough. The James family were very welcoming and couldn't be more helpful and attentive. The room was clean, very comfortable and quiet. If you are planning a visit to the area you really don't need to look anywhere other than Cricket Field House!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Colin W
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My boyfriend booked us a room here for 1 night in mid-January. Loved the dogs that are part of the welcome committee! (Snoopy & Chester I believe). The property was in a very convenient location and our room had a nice view of the small garden. The room was very spacious and the bed super comfortable. The property was so quiet, it was nice after a very long travel day to not have to deal with unwanted noise from other guests. The breakfast was great and the staff was very friendly. Good experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The worse experience ever! We had a trip on Sunday morning to Stonehenge and we booked one night at Cricket Field House. We arrived the evening before (their CheckInn is 4pm) and we went for dinner, we realized we forget the light on, looking the window outside. We didn`t went back because we were going to spend just 1/2 hours for dinner. After dinner we went back to the room and the light was off. (they went in the room and did that). Next morning we missed the breakfast because we left early (their breakfast is only from 8:30 to 9:30) to go to Stonehenge with a tour guide. Around 11:00am the guide receive a call from Cricket Field House asking what time we were going to be back, couse the check out was 10:30am. It was so emabarassing, we didn`t know they had the Tour Guide phone. They had our phone, but they never called us!!! We didn`t know about this early chek-out, so we went back to the Cricket Field House. We arrived 11:50, and our room were open, they had moved our stuff, touched everything to clean the floor and collect the bed sheets. It was the worse experience ever! They were so rude. If they wanted to charge another day, ok. But they changed our suitcase, tablet (mine was in the floor when I left), because they couldn`t wait for us to be back. They picked up everything that was in the floor and put on the sofa! It never happen to me before. I felt too disrespected. What about our privacy, our things!? I wouldn`t recomend it at all!

6  Thank Anna F
Andrew J, Manager at Cricket Field House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such an eloquent review of your experience at Cricket Field....
The difference between fact and fiction can sometimes be difficult to spot, and there are always two sides to a story.
We operate Winter check-in between 4pm and 8pm, from March until October, check-in is 2pm - 8pm. Upon check-in we offered you a FREE upgrade which you accepted.
We have been running the business for 30 years now and in that time have learnt a thing or two about guest behaviour. Sometimes a small minority of our guests will go out to dinner (like you) and leave the lights on in their bedrooms, usually it is just an oversight, sometimes however it can lead to something more serious. It is our responsibility to reduce ALL risks, whether it be fire or otherwise and to ensure the safety of all our guests. In the past when lights have been left on in rooms, we have also found televisions left on, showers left running, candles alight and on more than one occasion a bath overflowing. Because of this and despite your insinuations, we are perfectly within our rights to access your room.
With regards to the incident in the morning, I cannot understand why you didn't seek clarification of our check-out times? Surely, that is nothing less than good manners? Breakfast is served between 8am and 9.30am and check-out is by 10.30am, and as you were at Stonehenge we knew not to expect you for breakfast. However at 11.30am, when you had still not checked out, we tried calling the number you provided which was 'not recognised.' I gave permission for my staff to enter your room at 11.40am, and the bed was stripped. You arrived back shortly afterwards. A water bottle and a hat were moved from the bed to the dressing table. No other items were touched.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us but believe your behaviour and inconsiderate actions caused an unpleasant experience for everyone involved.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Very spacious room which even had a seating area and a large walk in wardrobe. The room we were in was in a purpose built annexe attached to the main house, so we had to go outside to the dining room - not a major issue. There is a ramp for disabled visitors, a grab rail and a shower seat, but the shower tray had a lip so is not a wet room for wheelchairs but would be good for older guests. There was plenty of hot water and a nice large shower tray with two sorts of shower head. The room had a nice view of the garden and was very quiet.

There were black marks on the pillowcases, but they were otherwise clean. The duvet had feathers in it which was a problem, but we hadn't thought to request a synthetic one. There was no white sugar for the tea.

The breakfast was tasty and there was plenty of choice.

I would describe the service as adequate, but not effusive. A major black mark is the owners refusal to accept Scottish banknotes claiming the bank would make a charge. This is simply untrue and I view this as very racist and unwelcoming.

The accommodation suited us well but I would be loathe to recommend anywhere that treats visitors from other parts of the UK less favourably than the English.

Room Tip: Good car parking on site. Not in the City Centre but on a bus route and within reasonable walking d...