“A welcoming, comfortable idyll”

Cricket Field House
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The view over the cricket ground, with the church in the South-West corner, is an arresting site as you turn off the road and go down into the carpark. It's a little bit out of town, but first of all, staying in-town in Salisbury (as I found out) can be a nightmare, as many hotels are opposite noisy venues that thump and pulse into the wee small hours from Thursday night onwards; the second thing is that being a little bit out of town in Salisbury is a short walk in any larger metropolis, and the ways you can get to the place can take in some really lovely views of the town and its environs.

In terms of a warm welcome, I would consider the owners as having given me one of the warmest welcomes I've ever had in England: courteous, affable, genuine and never over-the-top. They represent a type of great kindness and hospitality that the media would probably say is 'dying out', but actually it's not: it's just guests and owners alike can be impatient and money-grabbing in this age, and class is hard to maintain unless you are in it because you love it.

I loved my stay. The room was great for my needs (though perhaps a bottle of water might be nice, as the tap flashes hot and then cold when it's on cold), the bed was comfy, and the shower invigorating. The walls were a bit thin, but that's shouldn't provide too much of a problem, as long as you're not staying next to a couple on their honeymoon.

The breakfast was comprehensive and you could be healthy or indulgent, or both, There were daily papers to peruse, people from all over the world to exchange a 'good morning' with, and a convivial atmosphere if you wanted it, though solitude was just as easy to find.

I would recommend this to individuals and couples alike, though I don't know if there are family-friendly rooms. I would also thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DiscerningDaddy

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights to attend a wedding in the area. This b&b was very clean, very friendly and offered fantastic service.
Given it's only b&b it's a little pricey, but you get value from the service.
Would defo recommend.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy S
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The room was good size and well furnished. Two main complaints: It is a couple miles out of town and not walking distance to anything (must have a car and always use it), and the WiFi did not work, confirmed with guy at front desk (which closes at night, had to ring bell and wait) who said "mine isn't working either". Breakfast choices were a bit limited. Ok, but I'd look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: If WiFi is important, ask for room close to lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My wife and I and my mother and her travelling companion stayed here one night in April. We were really impressed by Andrew the owner and his staff and were greatful of their assistance during our stay. Our room was large and warm and well fitted out. Breakfast was excellent and overall we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank R8fan
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We chose this B&B for a weekend city break in Salisbury. It was the perfect location for us as you can walk to the city but not have the hustle and bustle when you get back. It is on the main road but as the accommodation is set back from the road you can not be disturbed by traffic. The room was wonderful with views out over the cricket field and plenty of space, we were able to check in early too which really suited us. The breakfast was lovely too, the only downside is you have to walk across the courtyard to get there, luckily it was a sunny day when we stayed but I wouldn't want to do that in the snow or rain! Overall though a very relaxing stay with a warm and friendly welcome, thanks!

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room to maximise the view and not get other guests walking past your window!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for one night as we were planning a trip to Longleat and Stonehenge. What a little gem of a place. Our room was comfy, clean and had everything we needed. The hosts very polite. Breakfast was wonderful :-) we will definitely stay here again when visiting Salisbury again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NaTaLiEa25
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Just stayed at The Cricket Field House last weekend. It,s the first time I've stayed in a B&B and I was very impressed with the standard of the accommodation our room was very clean and impressive. Breakfast is served in the conservatory which was excellent with plenty of choice. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when I'm visiting Salisbury.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends