“on the way up or down?” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bird & Carter Farm Shop Cafe
Ranked #45 of 264 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Downton, United Kingdom
“on the way up or down?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I have been to this farm cafe soon after it opened and was really impressed with their selection of food. My plate had a selection of local hams with a selection of salads - the array was impressive, on a par to some decent salad cafe which appeared in numbers now in Paris and other foodie cities - but not so much in here. My friend had some soup (which came with a selection of breads, far from boring) she could not stop praising.
So I was well impressed and went recently in anticipation to repeat that jolly good experience. Alas. The ham platter came with one type of ham only, there was no bread selection either, salads were there, but not that many to choose from. My friend had quiche, said it was ok, but on a par to Waitrose. She had a different salad, but did not finish it.
The service is still good, the coffee not bad either. I hope it was just a bad day, it would be sad to loose that "special" what they started with.
It is not easy to start a good place, but much easy make it last without standards slipping.
So would definitely give it another shot in hope that they continue on their quest - my first impression still there, it was the best low carb lunch eaten around Salisbury - so may it last.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Annie B, Owner at Bird & Carter Farm Shop Cafe, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback from your experience back in February. We do have an option on the menu that is our homecooked ham on the bone served with a selection of salads. This doesn't come with bread or other meats, although there is another option for a selection of charcuterie, with bread, salads and condiments, which I think is what you had the first time. We also have specials on our board which are usually cheaper than these options, so include less. When you come in again please do make yourself known and we can make sure you have the meal you would like.. with bread etc. We do try our best to make lots of good hearty salads too so please ask us if you would like something different. Hopefully we will see you in the not too distant future.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Have stopped for breakfast and lunch and have not been disappointed. Really good quality food and lovely coffee! Definitely worth a visit!

1 Thank Esmeralda G
Salisbury
“FANTASTC NEW MENU AND FAULOUS CHICKEN PIE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

There are new delights on the menu and some very good new things in the shop!
It is lovely and warm with the log fire and everyone on the staff is SO friendly and relaxed after the hard work of Christmas.
New art too!!
We travel out of the city for lunch as often as we can!

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic farm shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I am a regular at this wonderful farm shop on my way between Somerset and Kent. I usually have my two children with me and have always been impressed with the delicious food (it is the best quiche I have ever had !) and accommodating staff. It has a lovely and relaxed atmosphere. There is also an impressive array of lovely farm shop goodies. I can't help buying something delicious from the meat and cheese counter every time I am there! It is children friendly with good baby changing facilities. I have recommended this to all my friends and I won't stop anywhere else!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Samways
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“OUTSTANDING OFFICE LUNCH”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I run the INSPIRE Foundation a national charity based in Salisbury which raises money for research into spinal cord paralysis. We chose to run our Christmas office lunch at the Bird & Carter because Joff and Annies's homemade cuisine is consistently outstanding. The food, service and ambience could not be faulted. Everybody in our party of fourteen was delighted with the occasion so we will have already booked again for next year! In addition and vital for us, the Farm Shop has both excellent wheel chair access and proper disabled loos!

I might also add that the Bird & Carter have provided delicious canapés for an evening Wine Tasting reception and hot quiches and salads for a separate lunchtime function. We have always been delighted with both their service and prices, which is why we keep coming back!

I am delighted that we have found this little catering gem and thank Joff & Annie Bird and their lovely staff for looking after us so well.

Rory Steevenson