“Best meal in England”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Delicious food served in a modern, bright setting, with attentive, personable service....what more could you ask?! I had the lamb medallions which were absolutely out of this world and my husband had the hake which was also very good. The flavors were fresh and sophisticated making the dish interesting but preserving the quality of the protein. Both the indoor and outdoor spaces were bright and tastefully decorated. This place is a gem....it was by far our best meal during our10 day circuit of the English countryside. Crane's would stand up to the best of Philly, which has loads of great places to eat. PS. I didn't see any beer on the menu but they had a great selection of nice wines. I wish we could go back tonight!

1  Thank Escapists2
963JoannaW, Manager at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

It is wonderful to receive such a glowing review as this one is! Thank you for taking the time to write it - so often people only make time to criticise. I am glad that you enjoyed your time in England! Look us up again if you ever return.

There are newer reviews for Cranes Wine Cafe

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This Cafe had been recommended to us but sadly we left feeling a bit disappointed. Portions were small on set menu courses. When we asked for some bread to go with the main salad plate (very nice scallops) we were told it was extra and when it arrived it was 4 tiny slices. When the bill came to £80 for 4 for lunch, I think a complementary basket of bread is not too much to ask for and we would have felt more replete! As we left it would have been nice if the owner could have acknowledged us?!

1  Thank Fitzgibbon156

I'm sorry to hear that your experience was not as you hoped. It is true that our set menu portions are not enormous. The menu is purpose designed as a quick lunch or early evening meal and is light as a result, not the sizing of our full a la carte meals. We do offer homemade, various flavoured bread at a charge of £2.50 for a basket which is always available. We also do our best to offer a good bye to customers, sometimes the staff and sometimes the owner and I apologise if this was overlooked in you case.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I used to live in Salisbury and came to visit friends. They suggested Cranes as they'd not tried it and the restaurant squeezed us in, last minute really. My friends were celebrating the exchange of contracts on their house sale so there was reason to be cheerful.

We were greeted warmly, shown to our table on the patio and offered the menu. It was good reading and from the outset I thought I was in for a treat.

All three of us ordered differently quite deliberately so that we could experience as much of the menu as possible.

Everything that was presented to us was cooked with obvious expertise. The combinations of flavours and textures just simply worked. Without doubt, much though had gone into this as it couldn't be an accident.

Desserts and cheese board were consumed with ease as the portion sizes were spot on too. They proudly advertise desserts in MINIATURE on their menu. Two of us had the trio selection and found only the tiniest fault. Nothing worth mentioning though.

The wine list was very well put together and it was easy to select a wine that paired with both the Lamb my host had and the Veal I had easily.

It isn't the cheapest meal out but if you want cheap, settle for somewhere that isn't going to offer you King Scallop ceviche, Duck Beignet, Veal married with crispy sweetbreads, Cannon of Lamb with potato fondant.... Etc.

Would I ask to go again? YES PLEASE!!!! How about tonight???

Thank you very much for your comprehensive and detailed review! I do hope that it gives other potential customers a real flavour of what we have on offer at Cranes. We look forward to welcoming you again another time!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Third visit to this restaurant and it is better than ever. Food excellent and well presented. Serving staff attentive without being intrusive.

In my book the best restaurant in Salisbury but despite this it is good value for money.

We had a friend with us who is French and trained in a French cookery college (now a director of the Marriot chain of hotels) and it met her exacting standards in all departments.Can't get better than that!

Web site could do with being better and give more details etc

963JoannaW, Manager at Cranes Wine Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

Thank you very much for your glowing review of Cranes and for bringing your friend with you! We have received other similar comments about our website so I think it is an area we need to improve. Thank you!