“We LOVE you Hendersons! :)”

Henderson's Artisan Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 6 Bakeries in Salisbury
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: *Independent Food Producer of the Year, Wiltshire Life Awards 2017* *Salisbury's Favourite Independent Retailer, 2015* Award-winning bakery & cafe in the heart of Salisbury's historic Market Square. Real, artisan breads, organic flour, sour dough, delicious pastries and cakes, fresh coffee and light lunches. Everything freshly made on the premises. Additional cafe space upstairs, or outdoor seating on the Market Square.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

FOOD - fresh tasty wonderful (especially cheese scones & croissants)
STAFF - friendly, cheerful and VERY helpful
DRINKS - good flavour (try the hot chocolate)
BUILDING - bare brick and wood, olde worlde - fab
FACILITIES - loyalty card woohoo! plenty of high chairs upstairs, upstairs to the 2 loo's, tables and chairs outside in Salisburys beautiful new market square. Come and enjoy.

You guys are doing a wonderful job, we love to spend time at Hendersons. Thankyou so much. We wish you well for the future :)

Paul H, Owner at Henderson's Artisan Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Thank you so much for your review and lovely comments Suzy. I'm so pleased you enjoy visiting us at Henderson's.

best wishes,
Paul

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Good quality home cooked food.Basic seating, but nice and relaxed.Friendly and helpful staff.Fantastic choice of bread.

Paul H, Owner at Henderson's Artisan Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thanks for your review Sarah. Great feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again next time you're in Salisbury.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We came across this bakery and cafe on the last day of our holiday in Salisbury. We loved the look of the place from the outside and were not disappointed when we went in. Our 2 young children (5 and 3) who eat sausage rolls everywhere we go, said the sausage rolls were 'the best ever!' My husband had the bean soup and I had a ham, rocket and pesto panini which were both absolutely gorgeous! We couldn't resist pudding as it all looked so tempting - the children again were very pleased with their gingerbread men, and my husband and I really enjoyed our frangipani tart and bread pudding. When I asked for the bread pudding to be served warm with cream, this was no problem at all :) As parents with young children it is sometimes difficult to enjoy our meal to the full with trying to keep the children entertained at the same time. This, however, was taken care of with their basket of books and colouring which kept the children busy and meant that my husband and I could really enjoy ourselves and relax over lunch. At the end of our lunch I bought a Hot cross bun for our baby (who had slept through lunch) and she thoroughly enjoyed that when she woke up! We would highly recommend a trip to Hendersons. We will be sure to visit again when we return to Salisbury. Thank you!

1  Thank Megan B
Paul H, Owner at Henderson's Artisan Bakery & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thanks you so much for your lovely review, I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Henderson’s. The sausage rolls and gingerbread men are particular favourites with our younger visitors, including my own daughter! Hope to see you again next time you are in Salisbury.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

At last a bakery that puts a little love in its loaves….

I've visited several times now, early in the day, and their bread is consistently good, with a real home baked look and taste.
Warm croissants, soft breakfast rolls, good coffee and delicious hot cross buns... when I last visited they'd just come out of the oven and the smell filled the place…mmm!
Picked up a different loaf each visit and especially loved their real ale beer bread. Well worth a visit if you like 'proper' handmade bread…whatever your taste… from crusty, chewy sourdough to a crispy baguette.
Oh and sit outside if the suns out, it overlooks the medieval market square!

Thank you so much for such great feedback, I’m delighted that you enjoy your trips to Henderson’s and enjoy so many of our different breads and pastries.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my second visit to Henderson's Artisan Bakery & Cafe; I thought i'd give it another chance after the poor customer service and bizarre first visit when it had just opened. This time, my mum ordered a tuna sandwich, to which the front of house guy asked whether she wanted brown bread. She said "no, white please" to which the guy said, "we only have brown left". After an awkward pause she asked whether she could have one of the white rolls that were right in front of us. He said "oh, yeah... which one would you like?" As there were only white or brown rolls I think you can guess how the conversation went from there.

I ordered a ham, mozzarella, pesto and rocket panini which was quite nice but not for that price. The tuna roll was very average. The small salad that comes with it was very nice, however! We later heard a couple trying to order a panini but were told they had run out - but were offered a baguette instead from a more helpful man working there which as you can guess had not been offered to us.

The idea of having the bakery part of the shop open for all to see is nice in theory, however, works to their detriment as in this case it seemed there were an excessive amount of staff milling about, eating and chatting and not much else other than whispering.

You can see the sort of vibe they were going for, however it really falls short in many areas. There is an empty bookcase in the window for no real reason, not enough tables downstairs or outside and everything is just very shabby and grubby. This could be forgiven if it still managed to pull off the ambiance of an artisan bakery, but unfortunately the unapproachable members of staff makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere.

Thanks for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you had a mixed experience with us, particularly in regard to the customer service you received. We’d had a very busy morning and unfortunately had sold out of our usual white sandwich bread. I’m sorry this wasn’t made clear when you visited. You should have been more politely advised of the range of options available. I have spoken to the staff to ensure that this doesn’t happen again.

I’m pleased that you enjoyed your salad. Our sandwiches and panini are very popular, and I believe they are priced competitively. I am always happy to discuss any issues with customers as they arise.

We have had lots of positive comments about being able to see into the bakery part of the shop and I am surprised that the staff appeared to be only milling about. I believe you visited on Saturday, our busiest day, when we have a number of staff fulfilling different roles – baking, washing up, preparing lunches and sandwiches plus 2-3 front of house. At lunchtime staff may well grab something to eat during their break. I am there for most of the day and all the team are normally extremely busy, even if not directly serving customers.

I too wish we had space for more tables downstairs. We put in as many as we can both inside and outside. We have a larger cafe room upstairs, and are opening a second upstairs seating area in the next month. Now that we have been open for ten months, we are also in the process of redecorating and sprucing up some areas of the shop which are beginning to look a little tired.

I do hope you will give us the benefit of the doubt by visiting again. We would welcome the opportunity to change your mind.