“Fathers Day Treat”

Salisbury Racecourse
Ranked #16 of 78 things to do in Salisbury
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Spent a lovely afternoon wiht my family, all dressed up, enjoyed some exciting racing and a few drinks with family and friends, beautiful views, you cna get close to the horses, a relaxed day out

All reviews
in 5 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I live about an hour & a quarter from Salisbury Races and it’s one of my favourite courses locally. It has a lovely location in the Wiltshire countryside; it’s on the Wilton side of the City.
Firstly, there are ample parking facilities which are free, and just minutes from the course. I always go in Tattersall’s - ( the paddock etc.), which is just £14, this is excellent value. Here there is a lovely little bar right by the paddock, with a little beer garden – I always get there an hour or so before racing, so I can have a quick pint and gather my thoughts about the early races!
There are ample bars and food facilities on course as well extensive lawn areas for picnics etc. Once you’ve left the paddock you then walk around the member’s facilities to the main public viewing areas. Here you’ll find the bookmakers and the main stand for this side of the course. It’s a ‘two tier’ stand’ which has drink & food facilities on the ground floor. If you care to go up to the top tier it offers fantastic views of the beautiful Wiltshire countryside and looks back towards the City. It offers totally unimpeded views as you look ‘down’ on the racing itself. It’s definitely worth doing this at least once, even though it’s a fair few steps!
On past this stand is a large lawn area with seating and the facility to watch the racing from the rail.
Looking across the course you’ll see the ‘Silver Ring’ which is for those who are not interested in the paddock etc. This is cheaper (£7) and a lot of families go there as the facilities are also very good - a nice stand for viewing, food & drink & ice cream facilities and plenty of ‘bouncy’ things on the lawns for the kids! On this side is a huge screen which transmits the races live, as it’s a long way down to the six furlong (three quarters of a mile) start! So, you won’t miss a thing!
In summary I believe that Salisbury is an excellent course. It’s generally very well attended (about a 4,000 capacity I believe) and for weekend and evening racing I find it that it has a lovely atmosphere for all the family.
PS - I always leave before the last race as getting out can take ages due to the location and narrow roads.

3  Thank gerryurch
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our first time horse racing and it was very good.
Friendly staff, great location, not sure why there is a half hour gap between races but that seems the norm. I wasn't familiar with the betting system, a tote type, I prefer a simple odds betting with a bookmaker but most people seemed to understand it, so maybe it was just me.
Worth a day out.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Travelled yesterday to the races - it's a nice little course. Very quaint we thought.

Made it better that we won a few quid there too!

We would return