“Delightful B&B Stay with Great Location”
Review of Cathedral View

and 1 more site!
Cathedral View
Ranked #1 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Delightful B&B Stay with Great Location”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

In late July of 2013 my son and I did a trip from California to the UK to visit family and do some sightseeing. Upon leaving some cousins in Dorset we headed towards Salisbury with a plan to stay at a B&B. We had made no prior booking and would just check out places upon arrival. We were very fortunate to come across what looked like a great place to stay with an ideal location (very close to the Cathedral and town center).

Our hosts Steve and Wenda provided exceptional customer service and their accommodations were very comfortable, quiet and clean. My son and I were looking forward to a good English breakfast and we were not disappointed – it was excellent and really made a good start to the day in terms of energy levels for the planned sightseeing ahead.

I would highly recommend this quaint historical B&B and would certainly not hesitate to stay again and enjoy Steve and Wenda’s hospitality.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Walla Walla, WA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Though the road in front of this B&B is very busy and parking can be a bit challenging, this is still a great place to stay in Salisbury. The B&B does have parking permits so we could park on the street. Not only is it fairly centrally located -- and right across the street from the Cathedral! -- the hosts are a wealth of information and very helpful. Steve had printed guides and great suggestions on places to visit and eat. They even have negotiated discounts at several places. The rooms were very clean and had homemade cookies to greet us. The bathrooms had the needed amenities for travelers, and the beds were comfortable. We had a beautiful view over the back gardens, while our daughter & husband had a view of the cathedral. And the breakfast was wonderful! Steve has found the best sausages and makes delicious homemade jams. There are options for everything from fruit and granola to a full breakfast. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, but Steve helped us carry the luggage upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BBTravelMom
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the Cathedral View when we visited Salisbury in September. Wenda and Steve are excellent hosts and very knowledgeable about the area. They made us feel right at home immediately! Steve has a map of the historic sights in the area (and there are many) to visit with descriptions of their relevance. The breakfast was excellent and the rooms were very comfortable. The location was perfect for exploring all that Salisbury had to offer! Practically right across the street from the cathedral!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I chose to stay here mainly because of its proximity to the cathedral. Wenda and Steve are very good at what they do, and I was quite delighted with my stay. I didn’t realize there was an entrance to the Close at the corner of their location, and this proved quite handy. The parking was also a relief. First (with their permit) I was able to park right on the street in front of their B&B. Upon driving out and returning again, the street parking was completely taken – for at least a mile radius around the B&B. I was so happy when they gave me directions to their nearby parking lot! When you stay with Wenda and Steve, you are treated like family. I loved the homemade cookies left in our room, and the snacks they sent us off with for the day! Wenda was delightful, and as a person, I would choose to spend more time with her (sorry Steve, you were busy cooking). Lastly, I rarely heed hotel advice on where to eat, just in case they have a “business” relationship. (I am more than happy to research my own locations.) However, my mom insisted we listen to Wenda and Steve so we went to nearby “The Cloisters” pub. Their unique take on beef pie was absolutely delicious and affordable – definitely high on the list of best food on my trip! Some other tidbits: 1) They are on a main street. I wanted a view of the cathedral, and I got one. They warned me of the noise, but I preferred the view. 2) My GPS was terrible in Salisbury. Unless you want to see back-alleys, have Steve give you directions. 3) My GPS was useless for Stonehenge because the entrance has moved, and the signage was barely helpful. We were panicked!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Cathedral View is excellently placed in in the street next to the Cathedral close. Most of central Salisbury is an easy walk. Steve and Wenda are excellent hosts and Steve’s notes and maps on what to see are very useful. The room was on the first floor. It was very comfortable (probably the best beds we slept on in our time in the UK). The tea and coffee making facilities were not as generous as we had found elsewhere which was a little disappointing. Breakfast was very nice and well prepared. Parking in the street was no issue for us with the Hotel supplying a resident permit for the stay. I would happily stay again if in Salisbury.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
cathedralfan, Owner at Cathedral View, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you for a lovely review . We always lissen to our guests feedback. Our hospitality trays always have a variety of tea bags, instant coffee and decafe coffee, brown and white sugar, sweetener, sachets of milk (fresh available on request) sachets of chocolate, and our home made cookies. Our guests usually ask if they need more of anything. We always try to make everyone's stay with us a good experience. Wenda and Steve
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I love this place! Perfect for vegans.

Upon arrival we felt very welcome and were also given a special "self-guide" leaflet made by Steve, it was a good start to explore Salisbury. He also gave us some info about the current things happening in Salisbury and answered all of our questions. Thanks to his inside information we got to go to the mass at the cathedral, and managed to see the painting in the Church in the city center.

The room was perfect, and we got a view of the cathedral. There were coffee and home made cookies for free :D

They also prepared special vegan snacks just for me and fresh flowers in the room.
Upon booking we had ordered vegan food, which wasn't any problems since Steve and Wenda had excellent knowledge about what veganism is. We also requested to get the food one hour before ordinary breakfast time, which wasn't a problem either.

The problem was I got ill on the night I was staying there, so I couldn't eat anything. Steve and Wenda solved this by cooking a English vegan breakfast and packaging it for me to eat later. He also included juices, fruits and water. I think was the most troublesome costumer ever and Wenda and Steve handled it beautifully. They even gave me some counseling regarding my illness which I am very grateful for.

I really wished I would have stayed one more night, Wenda and Steve were warm people, wonderful hosts, and made us feel extremely welcome.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Recently stayed at Cathedral View for third time to Salisbury. Wenda and Steve are now part of our family. Steve has researched "must sees" while in town and it was so helpful as we toured the cathedral and historic parts of the city. Bed was excellant, Room as immaculate. Hearty breakfast enjoyed with other travelers. The BEST TIME we have had so far. Thank you S & W.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple