“Very Welcoming”

Ranked #7 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
High River, Canada
“Very Welcoming”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

From the minute I stepped through their bright yellow door, Lois and John went out of their way to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. The breakfasts were delicious. They had information on all the local events and attractions. The room had everything I could want including fresh fruit and beautiful tea cups from which I could drink an evening cup of tea. Each evening I just had to cross the street and within 5 minutes I was sitting in the Salisbury Cathedral for evening worship. I can't wait to take my husband back and spend more time in Salisbury staying at the Spire House. It created just the space I needed for a refreshing retreat.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I booked the Spire House for only one night (mid-week) for myself, my husband and my daughter. We were very impressed by the excellent level of service we received from Lois and John and the comfortable and pleasant accommodations. We were arriving by train earlier than the usual check-in time, but that was no problem at all - we were able to store our luggage there until our room was ready. The next day, we were doing the tour of Stonehenge, and it was no problem for us again to store our luggage there after vacating the room. Lois arranged for a cab to pick us up for transport to the bus station later. This extra service was very appreciated as it can be quite a hassle when travelling with luggage and using public transport. Lois also recommended a nature walk that we would not have known about on our own that we thoroughly enjoyed. Being the 3 of us, we booked one of the triple rooms on the upper floor. There was plenty of space for us. Be aware of the dangers of overpacking, though, since it is several flights of steps to the top! Breakfast was delicious, and a good value. The location of Spire House is very central, but on a busy street. Our room faced the back garden so was quiet and peaceful. Overall, I would highly recommend Spire House to any travelers. There are many extra touches like snacks in the room, and a "take-one, leave-one" bookshelf that make you feel right at home. Thank you for an enjoyable stay, Lois and John!

Houston, TX
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We loved our stay at the Spire House! A month before, I discovered a consolidator had booked our rental car for pick up in Salisbury on a bank holiday when the local company appeared closed. When I emailed Lois at the Spire House to ask if she knew if that were correct, she went all the way over to the company to inquire and provided information to me - she went above and beyond. Additionally, the Spire House is lovely, the location is perfect for exploring the town, the breakfasts were plentiful and delicious, and John and Lois were very helpful and fun to chat with. These Texans will definitely stay there when we return to Salisbury.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Coxhoe
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Totally agree with other comments. I picked this B&B was because its good rating in Booking.com, while I was planning accommodation for visiting the stonehenge. Did not realise that Salisbury was also a tourist place. If we had more time, we would love to spend more time in Salisbury.
The house decoration is a bit old, but if you like old style accommodation, this would be an ideal place for the price.

spire, Owner at Spire House, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Hi John and I were delight how much you enjoyed your stay at Spire House. It was serendipity to arrive in Salisbury for an overnight stop and then discover our lovely Cathedral and Medieval city. I was surprised at your comment about the decor ,as I am passionate about interior design and try and cultivate a sense of the traditional with a quirky edge. Maybe you missed the Banksy and Ostrich table etc. :)
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at Spire House. It is located a half block from one of the entrances to the Salisbury Cathedral Close and just 3 blocks from the start of the center of the town itself. Parking was easy and Spire House keeps parking permits that you can use at no additional charge. Lois and John are very professional and also very welcoming. They have all the relevant tourist information available in a well-organized way and they seem happy to welcome their guests without being intrusive. They happily tolerated some of my silly questions without any sign of irritation. Their recommendations for restaurants and pubs were excellent and often matched what my guidebook said.

This is not a hotel, it's a B&B, so you have to climb some stairs. Our room was clean and well-designed while still being home-like. There was plenty of hot water and the room was spacious, even with our excessive number of suitcases. Breakfast was among the best we saw during our time in England.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kontich, Antwerpen, Belgium
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Warm welcome, genuine intrest in their visitors,
clean rooms and perfect arrangment for parking.
We enjoyed our (short) stay very much.

Thanks again for the Wilton House tip, a winner !
Also the restaurant-tip "The Cote" was perfect.

We zullen niet nalaten om dit establissement aan te raden aan reizende Belgen.

Room Tip: The back rooms have a splendid view on the garden (see photo).

Reviewed 29 August 2013

My parents and I enjoyed our stay in Spire House in August 2013. Lois and John are very nice people and their attitude made the stay even better that it could be. Breakfast was amazing, rooms are very clean and you feel like you are visiting your relatives somewhere.