“Extraordinary sensation of tranquillity”
Review of Alabare House

Alabare House
Ranked #31 of 57 Salisbury B&B and Inns
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Extraordinary sensation of tranquillity”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My sister brought me here as a surprise treat for a 'special' birthday, knowing that I was depressed about my age, stressed in my busy job, and knowing what peace I find walking around tranquil, spiritual places in my free time.

I can honestly say that I have never experienced a calmer place than this. From the moment I put down my bag and sank down onto the bed, a sense of relaxation came over me, and the trivial worries in my life seemed to lift from my shoulders. I'm not sure why; I think it was a combination of factors. The decor was simple, but high quality - white painted walls, furniture and white linen, with pale blue cushions and blankets. The aviary in the grounds provided a backdrop of birdsong. Everything was spotlessly clean, and the staff member who welcomed us was helpful without being in the least intrusive.

I was almost reluctant to leave to get some dinner, but the house is located very near thetown. There's a subway a few minutes away, but my sister and I were a little wary of using it in the evening - the helpful staff member directed us to the route under the roadbridge, which takes you straight into town, where an abundance of places to eat awaits you. Salisbury city is lovely, and the only reason we didn't stay out long, was because I was keen to return to the peace I felt at the guest house.

My bed was supremely comfortable, and I had a great night's sleep. I once read that, subconsciously, fears about intruders can affect one's ability to sleep well at home. I hadn't really believed that, but the Alabare is in a gated courtyard and for somewhere so near to the city and stunning cathedral, it feels remarkably 'away from it all'; and I am sure the fact that it was gated contributed to the sense of safety.

Only one word describes the breakfast - superb! A full English with all the trimmings - real tomatoes, all fresh, and no grease on the plate. I don't normally eat breakfast and worried that I wouldn't be able to manage it, but it was irresistable. The dining room is set out as several large tables, which encourages friendliness. My sister and I are naturally quite shy, so it was lovely to be able to talk to the couple who shared our table in a natural way, without feeling that we were pushing in. The sound of birdsong, with the sun streaming in through the windows, completed the relaxing experience.

I can't say enough in praise of this guest house. The facilities, though not en-suite, were superb and ample, the location was perfect and the atmosphere was truly special, magical in its sense of peace. I have stayed in many hotels and B&Bs through my work, and what made this house unique was the absence of busy-ness and bustle, the quietness of the place.

In future, I will close my eyes and imagine I'm lying back on that blue and white bed whenever I feel stressed.

Room Tip: Our twin room on the first floor was bang opposite the two bathrooms and had a lovely view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Malentaheloyse

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for a short stop over as I was passing by Salisbury and had booked it before hand based on price. I think I paid on the lower end of the accommodation scale in Salisbury but I felt that it was very good value for money. The Guest House is run by a christian community who provided a very good service and a great breakfast. They were welcoming and very helpful, but I can understand why a few people find the staff a bit "formal".
The room I had seemed to be one of the better rooms from the sound of things with plenty of natural light and a good double bed. The bathrooms/showers/toilets are shared amongst the other guests.
As others have mentioned, the house itself is behind a gated drive so felt very secure, and there is a lovely garden which was available for use. For me, the location was brilliant as it is just a ten minute walk to the centre, so although not directly in the centre, being able to park and get to the centre easily more than made up for it.
I did hear the doorbell ring at 5am; not sure if this was the Guest House staff coming in or late night stragglers...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeHobHob
Mountain Iron, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Service was good, but very formal. We didn't feel comfortable approaching any of the staff. The room was nice, we were on the top floor with a gorgeous view of the cathedral (but VERY hot!). We also appreciated the security (it's a gated facility).

One thing that was very disappointing...The internet didn't reach the top floor so we decided to take advantage of this "beautiful garden" that they advertised. After sitting out there for a few minutes, a woman came out from the B&B and told us that this a private family garden, not for residents. So unless they consider a "garden" their gravel driveway...a little bit of false advertisement.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor if you want a gorgeous view!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Sami B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had a pleasent stay at the friendly, cute guest house. Flexible check in times. Lovely breakfast and gardens. The best part was it's proximity to the city centre- it couldn't have been better situated! It was the cheapest accomodation as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed for 1 night with our daughter. The location was great. A quick, easy walk to Salisbury Cathedral. We were on the top floor, and arrived during the check - in time, which is 4-6 pm. The room was hot, with no cross ventilation. But, there was a door out to the fire escape, which we opened, which aired-out the heat enough to sleep. Didn't feel we could sleep with it open. Too many references to security, though it seemed perfectly safe to us there. Very small space for 3 of us. We couldn't open our luggage. There was a reference to free wifi, but, it's not free anymore, and we had to pay 3 pounds to get the password to use it. When you reserve your room, they send you the password needed to get in the gate when you arrive. It's a peaceful place, and our room had a view of the cathedral, which was sweet. My 6' 3" husband's feet stuck out the end of the bed. Single beds for each of us. Breakfast had to be ordered the night before at check-in. That was fine with us, but my 10 year old ate cereals and yogurt and fruit which were laid out, before the cooked food arrived, so, she couldn't eat much of it. If we had to do it again, we'd either not let her at the continental breakfast buffet offerings, or, not let her pre-order so much food. But, who knew they'd come with such a full plate of eggs, game, sausage, beans, hash browns and tomato?

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions about the rooms available, so you're not surprised.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank C-girl J
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Lovely B & B in pleasant gardens close to town centre. Staff were very welcoming and helpful. Room was clean with little touches of care like fresh flowers. Quiet and peaceful. Internet fast, security very good. I had shared bathroom; ensuites were available. Mattress was OK, but a bit uneven.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The staff were friendly, we were able to check in prior when we arrived at 1 pm. The best thing about this place is the quietness. However, there wasn't any direct light in our room, the only outside window was in the bathroom, with opaque glass, which made me feel very claustrophobic. Also, you had to decide on the day before on the time you wanted your breakfast, and give your order. When we arrived for breakfast, we had to share a table with other people too.

Room Tip: If you want an en-suite double room, you'd better to book a twin room, as their only en-suite do...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple