“Simple on the outside, but food wonderful inside.”
Review of Chang Thong Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Chang Thong Thai Restaurant
Price range: US$49 - US$49
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 23 August 2012

As a local, we have often walked by this hidden place, finally got to try after, reading the reviews on tripadvisor.
Very surprised to say the least, food was lovely, portions were big but price was very reasonable. felt the decor could do with a revamp, looks more like a home than a Resturant. But an unexpected enjoyable visit, will visit again.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We had a delicious supper, with very attentive service (a delightful smiley waitress). The Chang Tong decor is rough and ready but the food was authentic, tasty and thoroughly enjoyable. We love Thai food and this restaurant lived up to our hopes and expectations.

1  Thank ALF100
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Second visit. Nice friendly service. The place is a little shabby and could do with a refresh, decor, furniture and menu. Small menu, food is OK, but certainly not great. I really feel that it lacks the complexity of flavours that I would normally expect from Thai food, it lacked a lot of the aromatic notes. Generous portion sizes so you won't go hungry. Asked for coffee at the end of the meal but they were unable to serve as they had run out of milk. I really would have expected someone to go out a fetch a pint of milk rather than come to the table and say they can't do coffee as they don't have milk, it was early evening and there were nearby shops open.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

I'm a proffesional chef who found myself in Salisbury doing relief work for a local hotel.
I saw the ladies from the Chang Thong Restaurant running a small food stall in the farmers market when I asked where the Restaurant was I was pointed in the right direction (blink and you might miss it !) in the corner of the market square up a flight of stairs.
Later that evening I returned having travelled all around Thailand and had already decided what I wanted to eat . When the waitress saw my disapointment that what I wanted was not on the Menu, she said she would ask the Chef, Chef arrived at the table and I told her what I would like (in Thai) she went to the kitchen and prepared exactly what I ordered then even table checked me personaly to see if everything was ok, which it was. More than ok it was Aroy mak mak !! (Thai for delicious) .
My off menu meal was great, authentic and good value washed down with a cold Singha beer.
Thanks for making me feel so welcome Chang Thong !! Chok dee khrap (good luck)

Reviewed 2 March 2009

I found this to be a very good restaurant for a good basic meal.

The food is wholesome and cooked fresh by the owner (who is Thai). All of the 'standard' dishes are available, and the starters are particularly good. This is the place where the local Thai people go.

The wine list is brief but good - the house wines are good value, while the Alsatian Tokay d'Alsace is a superb match for Thai food.

Lacks a bit of the style found in places like Hox or Anokaa - but it also lacks the high prices! Nevertheless the building is genuinely old and interesting in its own right. It's a bit difficult to find as it is stuck away in the corner of the Market Square with only door at street level - the rest of the restaurant is upstairs.