“Good value, but is noisy (and small)”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
“Good value, but is noisy (and small)”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We walked to the hotel from the train station, and it was a bit of a walk but reasonably close. The hotel is very central, close to many amenities. That was good for us, since we didn't have transportation.

The room we were given was on the third floor at the back. It was clean, and had nice linens, but was pretty cramped. Not much room for anything but a bed, and since we were on the top floor we had slanted ceilings to contend with (not a problem for me, but my partner is 6 feet tall and bumped his head a few times). The bathroom was the nicest surprise: well appointed, seemed very new, and was spacious. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable, but I've had worse.

I didn't think the noise would be an issue for us (especially as we were at the back), but it was. We were woken up three times between midnight and 8am by shouting on the streets (and they weren't just passers-by--they were having shouting matches down there). It was very loud--I don't normally wake up to street noise.

Overall, I'd say it's good value considering the price, cleanliness, and central location. However, if you really need a good night's sleep, I'd probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
Lostwithiel, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Cheap rates lovely reception staff. Internet free but only worked on phone. Booking reference said room might be noisy at weekend. Now 0045hrs on a Thursday and noise is very loud from nightclub opposite. Not ideal preparation for long day at work later. Shame as a clean yet small room and will say again lovely reception staff.

• Stayed June 2013

Travellers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed for 2 nights a couple of weekends ago and had asked for a double room with my partner. I was shocked to find that it was only twin beds so they would move and u would slide through the middle which isnt great! Double bed would be better! Or take the wheels off? The tv was very small from the bed and didnt have great signal bit that cant be helped! Overall the room was really clean and was happy with my stay just a bit confused bout the bed situation! Thankyou to the staff who were very kind!

• Stayed June 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed here last week. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful. I was able to choose my room even though I was late checking in and most rooms had been allocated. This meant I could select a room at the back as I needed an early night for an interview the next day. Reception in the morning was equally helpful and friendly. Yes, there are sound proofing issues which I understand are being dealt with and no, there's no breakfast but it's made very clear on the website and also by checking Trip Advisor - plenty of places around to cater for that and not far to walk. Friendly faces and being helpful more than makes up for any other shortcomings people may perceive.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms at the back if you want to avoid street noise and the nightclub across the road alt...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
LA
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Room was incredibly small. But it was clean and cheap. Centrally located. Parking in a lot close nearby - just pay till 6/7PM and then free till 8/9AM the next morning.
You can certainly find better than this place - it is more of a last-resort type of place.

Room Tip: Saw 2 rooms - both incredibly tiny.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank spf1268
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Don't stay at this hotel at the weekend if you want to get some sleep before 3.30am. There are night clubs across the road from this hotel, there is bang, bang for hours until everyone goes home. In the morning there is rubbish and cigarette butts down the street.
The rooms are clean, tea, coffee, biscuits and water provided, basic but value for money.

Room Tip: Don't have a room at the front of this hotel, it's too noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I picked this hotel from the many reviews I read. But my experience was anything but pleasant. I did expect a 'no frills' and that's what I got. But...

I did not expect to go up some winding staircases. No lift. And there was a protruding beam right near my room and yep, I did trip over it one time. If I had had to leave the hotel suddenly, for some emergency, I probably would not have made it 'out' due to the confusing staircases and that old beam.

Room: like I expected, very small and with no frills, but I did not expect a lumpy bed and really worn out coverlet. I couldn't use the bathtub/shower, as there were no handrails and since it was already up about 6" off the floor due to the plumbing, it was impossible for me to navigate. Staff did not seem concerned when I voiced my complaints. The room was on the front of the building and over the street, but unlike some folks, I did not find any noise really bothering me. But, I couldn't sleep on the bed. Of course, it was a single, and that's smaller than I'm used too, but I just felt clausterphobic with the slanting front wall. TV didn't work most of the time. To use the toilet, you had to step into the bathroom and close the door. Barely enough room to move about.

Room was cold and I could not get the heater to work. No telephone so the only way to communicate with staff was that odd 4part staircase down. When I asked for a blanket, however, the clerk on duty did bring me one which was appreciated.

There was a kettle in the room along with a package of biscuit and a single green apple. The next day, the used tea was replaced but the biscuit wasn't. Same green apple, since I didn't eat it.

I really wanted to leave after the first night but the other hotels in Salisbury were apparently booked. I barely slept and left at 5am the next day.

Room Tip: Not a good experience. If you want to stay in Salisbury, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo