“never stay at this hotel”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
“never stay at this hotel”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I am currently a guest of the Salisbury city lodge, in room 9. I am writing this review at 1.55 am.
My daughter and I have been unable to sleep for the last two hours due to the noise outside in the street. The Chapel night club is currently in full swing and room 9 is on the first floor, directly opposite, so is subject to the full effect of the ridiculously loud music and the drunken, noisy customers of the club, in the street. My car is parked in the street downstairs and has drunken people leaning on it.
It is outrageous that the hotel should have sold me this room on a night when the club is open as it is impossible to sleep with this noise going on.
I have complained to the night porter, who said there is nothing he can do.
To make matters even worse, we are staying in Salisbury tonight because we have to be up at 5.30 am to start a 26 mile charity walk all day tomorrow, which will take at least 10 hours. Our chances of being in any condition to complete the walk are minimal now, without having the benefit of any sleep as the night club is open until 3 am.
I told the receptionist at check in that we were doing the charity walk and that I was parking my car outside overnight and she gave me no warning that there was going to be any problem with the noise or any possible damage to my car. It is quite unbelievable that she should have allocated this room to us under the circumstances and not even warned me not to leave my car, especially as it is not obvious that the night club even exists, during the day when we arrived.
This hotel should not be allowed to sell this room to guests who are unaware of the problems they will face. This is utterly disgraceful.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Linda2605
CityLodge2, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this review, 12 January 2016
Dear Sir/ Madam,
City Lodge Hotel is located right in the town centre with bars and restaurants on the door steps. Yes, it can be noisy on occasion at the front of the hotel however we have plenty rooms available on the back where you can’t hear the noise from the street. Those rooms could be pre booked contacting us directly.
We are more than happy to provide informations about parking upon request ,via email or over phone. Best option would be to use the 24h multi storey car park on the Culver Street (2 min walk from City Lodge Hotel)free from 3pm until 8a.m. On street parking right in front the Hotel is free from 6pm. Also there is an open public car park on the Brown Street free from 6pm.
We provide all the necessary information on our website like possible noise issues if the room in facing main street and we clearly state that we don’t provide any meals including breakfast. There are tea and coffee facilities with complementary biscuits, water and fresh apples on arrival. Also we are more than happy to help you with breakfast arrangements especially as some of the restaurants offer varies discounts for our guests.
It’s hard for us to deals with the issues if there are not raised at the time. Our aim is to make our guests comfortable during their stay. We can move guests in to a different room on the back of the hotel, we also offer ear plugs on request if we haven’t got any other rooms to move you.
We advise our guest to book the rooms directly with us so we can meet your expectation better and discuss all the options over the phone or via email.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I really hope you will visit us again.
Best Regards,
Agnieszka Z., General Manager at City Lodge Salisbury

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Czech first
Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed one night here. I found the staff to always be polite and helpful with smiles on their faces. The room was clean and we found courtesy refreshments left for us. We slept soundly through the night. I would definately stay here again just for the customer service provided.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately I only checked the reviews of this hotel after I had checked in for the night.
My room was located at the front of the hotel and as is said in other reviews it is extremely noisy. It is now 12:30am on a Tuesday night and it sounds like they are having a street party. I have had to go outside and move my car away from the revellers as when I looked out of my window several of them where leaning on it!!!
Although the hotel is clean and the staff are pleasant I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.

• Stayed September 2013

Travellers are raving about these Salisbury hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Stayed in salisbury on a Friday night at city lodge. The price was very reasonable and definitely value for money.

Hotel centrally located with street parking - free at night but you have to be up sharp and you can only park for 1 hour. There is a good parking round the corner from there during day time.

The staff were so cheerful and helpful. I was booked in a twin room but they upgraded to a double room for free upon request. The room put a smile on my face. Not the biggest room I have ever seen but so clean and cosy. Very nice bed. Clean shower area. The attention to detail was excellent. I was touring the surrounding area and this is by far the best budget hotel i stayed in and I stayed in 1 Hilton during my trip. Free wifi, good tea/coffee, good biscuits. They even have 2 fresh delicious apple in your room.

There are nightclubs across the road and it can be a little annoying. I slept well despite that and would still go back and recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I found the City Lodge clean and comfortable, and it's in a great central location too. I also loved the fact that there were single rooms without a supplement! The reception staff were friendly and knowledgeable and even helped me out by letting me use their computer when I had a bit of a boarding pass nightmare... It's true that there is noise from the nightclub across the road - I didn't hear much from the revellers, but was aware of the bass pounding in the background. However, I can honestly say it didn't stop me from getting to sleep, and I slept through comfortably both nights I stayed (Friday and Saturday).
All in all, it was excellent value for money - and it was definitely up there amongst the best of the budget hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night recently Aug 2013 :-The Hotel was clean ,the twin room and tea making service good. There is no car parking, except street parking out of hours or the major car parks if your lucky.The reception staff are polite.The negative side to this hotel:- We found no bath shower mat ,the shower unit head just poured water as if in a tap ,the A/c unit which is on most of the time had a intermittant buzzer sound going all night due we think to a faulty component we did complain and were given a partial refund.However the surprise of the night came from all the night clubs just outside ,The noise went on till 3am and you might as well have joined in with the crowd as it was deafning in the twin room even though they had tried to sound proof the room so don't expect to sleep there.If you did manage to park your car on the street ,just be aware the clubbers all pour out on to the street ,so your car becomes a leaning post or toilet or could get damaged.One of the clubs is called the 'Vestry' So if you really want to stay there take ear plugs as you will need them.It appears Salisbury council is not controlling these areas .I can see this hotel shutting down because of the situation in Milford Street.

Room Tip: Get a back room if you stay there
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, UK
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We spent this weekend at City Lodge Salisbury and would be happy to stay there again if we go back. The rooms are plain but the bed was very comfortable, the room clean and the bath in addition to a shower welcome. Don't expect too many extras, but for a good value, basic place to stay in the centre of Salisbury I recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and was very quiet; rooms at the front must overlook a couple...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple