“Great for an overnight stay and very central”
Review of City Lodge

City Lodge
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Salisbury
Reviewed 15 May 2014

One night stay on Sunday 11th May. Checked in early, helpful staff, we had only arranged one room for early check in, but two were ready. We were in Salisbury for a wedding but wanted to sight see the following day, so the staff stored our luggage in a back room for us. Nice clean rooms and bathroom recently renovated, great location, walking distance from the Cathedral, river walk and city centre. Would stay again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for City Lodge

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed as a group of friends on Friday and Saturday night. My husband and I were in Room 24 at the back of the hotel. The room was small with sloping ceilings but it was spotless. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was good. Other friends stayed at the front of the hotel. They were happy with their room but the noise from the street did keep them awake until three in the morning (we didn't get in ourselves till 2 am so it wasn't a real problem). Reception staff were pleasant enough. Hotel is centrally located and there is a multi storey car park just up the road. All in all, it was OK as long as you don't mind the noise from the nightclubs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a Sunday night. Had a room near the top at the side of the hotel. Glad we weren't at the front. A lot of clubs in the street playing loud music till early hours. Room was clean, cosy and comfortable. Good shower. Only let down was no shelf space in bathroom. Would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sammylouSomerset
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Worst hotel I've stayed in so far and I stay in 3 different hotels every week. I picked this one as a spur of the moment thing and didn't check it online mainly because I stayed at the Andover city lodge two weeks previous which was first rate.
I was told on the phone to park outside to check in and drop off my bags as they don't have a car park. The receptionist said I can stay outside for a max of one hour but didn't mention I had to get a ticket to do this. Needless to say I returned to my van 10 minutes later to a £50 parking fine.
No bar, no breakfast and wafer thin walls. All I can say is I will never book a hotel without checking online again. Lesson learnt!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BDean187
CityLodge2, General Manager at City Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2016

Dear Sir/ Madam,
Thank you for your review, we always appreciate guest feedback.
City Lodge Hotel is located right in the town centre with bars and restaurants on the door steps. Yes, it can be noisy on occasion at the front of the hotel however we have plenty rooms available on the back where you can’t hear the noise from the street. Those rooms could be pre booked contacting us directly.
We are more than happy to provide parking option upon request via email or over phone. Best option would be to use the 24h multi storey car park on the Culver Street (2 min walk from City Lodge Hotel)free from 3pm until 8a.m. On street parking right in front the Hotel is free from 6pm. Also there is an open public car park on the Brown Street free from 6pm.
We provide all the necessary information on our website like possible noise issues if the room in facing main street and we clearly state that we don’t provide any meals including breakfast. There are tea and coffee facilities with complementary biscuits, water and fresh apples on arrival. Also we are more than happy to help you with breakfast arrangements especially as some of the restaurants offer varies discounts for our guests.
It’s hard for us to deals with the issues if there are not raised at the time. Our aim is to make our guests comfortable during their stay. We can move guests in to a different room on the back of the hotel, we also offer ear plugs on request if we haven’t got any other rooms to move you.
We advise our guest to book the rooms directly with us so we can meet your expectation better and discuss all the options over the phone or via email.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I really hope you will visit us again.
Best Regards,
Agnieszka Z., General Manager at City Lodge Salisbury

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed overnight in Salisbury over the Easter weekend 2014. While the room interior looks new and modern, there are several shortcomings. The rooms on the second floor are really tiny and even though they advertise all rooms to have a shower (on booking.com), at least ours didn't and had only a tiny bathtub. This is very unpleasant if you are used to have a shower in the morning. The room was also somehow dusty and we had to shake off all the dust on our cloths after leaving. A toilet brush would be also a nice to have...

Anyway: If you stay only one night it's ok. However, I think the price is about 30% too high for the offered facilities.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bernhard K

Dear Sir/ Madam,
Thank you for your review, we always appreciate guest feedback.
I’m pleased to announce that City Lodge has been completely refurbished since you stayed with us. We have brand new best quality beds, new deco, new bigger TV’s , faster reliable Wii fii etc. City Lodge has been repainted completely and we serviced all the air-conditioned rooms.
Best Regards,
Agnieszka Z., General Manager at City Lodge Salisbury

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had the misfortune of staying in this hotel before Christmas, I booked through late rooms a week in advance and was told my money would be taken immediately, I checked my bank and indeed the money had gone.

On the day of my stay I was happy with the room. Small but very clean and tidy.

On the Sunday my friend and I checked out early as I had to go to work. Upon checking out the lady at reception asked me for payment. I explained that I had already paid but she couldn't find any evidence of my payment. There was no 3g for me to check my online banking and prove my payment and I was reluctant to pay again. I left them my phone number and home address for their peace of mind and explained that I would need to visit the bank but if they could also check their records.

I went to work as normal. When it came to my lunchbreak I had several threatening voicemails from the very lady I'd spoken to at reception. One of them said they were sending the police round to my house for non-payment. I called immediately and was very annoyed. I explained that the banks weren't open on Sundays but I would check first thing monday morning and could she please check their records again.

I went back to work and when I finished for the day I had ANOTHER voicemail saying that they had charged my card again - without my permission.

Avoid this place.

The most disappointing part was, that I was looking for a hotel I could use regularly in Salisbury - more than once a month. Now they've lost my business!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank l0vemyh0liday
CityLodge2, Manager at City Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found our rooms to be clean and tidy. I was a little surprised by your heading of your review, which of course we appreciate all customer feedback. I do feel from reading your concerns that actual we were not as bad as your heading suggests.

City lodge staff was never aggressive toward any guest and this kind of statement is very unfair .We strongly advise to bring an invoice or confirmation of payment made towards booking if payment was made in advance. I am not sure if you meant this Christmas or any other as none of staff member can recall similar situation. If there was no proof of payment and the guest left without settling bill, reception staff is obligated to keep in touch to resolve the issue. We take all reviews seriously and where possible improved our facilities. We now made some changes to avoid similar situation and every payment is taken on arrival.
Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope after our contact you will visit us again and give us the opportunity to look after you as you would expect us to do so.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My first visit to this hotel. This hotel was chosen by a friend and several of us booked in for a one night stay. The reception area, although small is very pleasant with a nice display of information leaflets and two chairs. The receptionist was very pleasant and efficient. I was allocated a room on the first floor. The room was spotlessly clean, nice comfy double bed with plenty of pillows. Good hanging space, a tv and a desk/dressing table and two chairs, a good supply of tea, coffee and biscuits & two bottles of water and two fat oranges. A hair drier can be found in a drawer. All the rooms have free wifi. The bathroom was very modern, bath/shower all beautifully clean with complimentary toiletries and nice soft towels. There is an iron and ironing board on the landing. The room was nice and warm, heated by a blown air heater, I turned it off overnight preferring a cooler room when sleeping.

The hotel is in a very good location and within easy walking distance of local facilities (no car parking at the hotel but was aware of that when I booked and parked nearby).
After a very comfortable nights sleep our group were able to leave our bags while we headed off for an excellent breakfast at 'Billy's' a ten minute walk away. Returning to the hotel later in the afternoon, a couple of us asked for directions to a particular street and a very nice member of staff who was on her way home walked along with us to show us where we wanted to be, how nice was that? We had a great weekend in a lovely hotel with friendly helpful staff and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have difficulty using the stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family