“Not for families”

Highclere Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ascot
“Not for families”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here recently while visiting Thorpe Park. This did not feel like a welcoming hotel, or indeed a homely B & B, but rather somewhere that had a room for us to sleep in. As breakfast would have been £21 for the three of us, we ate elsewhere. The room was pretty but definitely not worth the amount charged with breakfast being an optional extra. I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Toriaclaire
Highclere_Hotel, Owner at Highclere Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Hello Toriaclaire. Thank you for staying with us during August, and for taking the time to comment on your stay. I am surprised you found our breakfast price high as we are competitively priced with the other hotels and café's in our area. From your review and a brief look at your travel profile, it is apparent that your expectations were not met. We strive to exceed expectations, however this is not always possible. Finally, while we are not strictly a family oriented hotel, as we lack the demand and facilities they require, I am still surprised by your comments in light of the many positive things other families have said about us. Thanks again. Kind regards, Phillip Curtis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Enjoyed a good nights sleep at the Highclere - very friendly staff, very clean room, and the standard on the room exceeded my expectation. Great continental breakfast as well. Any negative comment would be that the doors are probably not noise-proof, but as there were no noise from anyone, I cannot really complain! It is a bargain given the price - will absolutely come back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed for one Friday night while visiting friends. The hotel is in a good location, just off Sunninghill high street. The welcome was warm and the staff very friendly. The room was nice for a B&B; recently refurbished by the look of it. The shower room was small but very well fitted, and the shower was excellent. The only downside was the bed was only a double, and we expect something a bit bigger these days. The room could have taken it. But that's a minor point.

The big problem though, is noise. The hotel also accommodated some transient workers (construction probably), and when they got in drunk at 2am we all knew about. Loud voices, shouting, slamming doors. And then their mates got in an hour later and then from 5.30am they started getting up to go on shift. By 7am, when we finally threw in the towel on a night's sleep we were shattered and angry.

Matters were made worse by the proximity of our ground floor room to the main guest door and the fact that the windows were open because it's summer. But I defy anyone in that place to get a good night's sleep with all that going on.

They need to decide what they want to be. A budget B&B for stay-away workers or a quiet B&B for couples and tourists. They have the potential to be either, but the fairest thing to do for all concerned would be to make a choice. The lady who runs the place with her husband told me they were normally known as a "quiet hotel" when I complained the next morning, but from the other reviews on here and the layout and clientele, I'm not convinced.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank T-Style1979
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here for a wedding weekend as we'd prefer to support local B&B businesses rather than chain hotels, but perhaps we made a mistake.

When booking on the telephone I informed that we are both light sleepers and need a quiet room please. We were given room 8, and although we were at the back of the house and experienced no noise issues from outside, the house is unfortunately very noisy inside. All the doors slam and you can hear everything in the rooms next door - like talking, TVs and bathrooms. At around 11:45pm I called reception to let them know somebody's TV was really loud, but we'd been in the corridor to try to establish where it was coming from but it didn't seem to be a room next door on our floor, so perhaps it was from below or above?

The guy on reception said there was nobody above us, we were close to their apartment and he couldn't hear anything - so we wondered if the super-loud TV was actually coming from the owner's apartment, especially as the TV stopped while I made the call.

Breakfast was also quite poor. On our first morning we only opted for fruit and yoghurt, and toast, and when asked for more toast we were just given 1 more slice. On day 2 we ordered scrambled eggs and beans, and again, we were given tiny portions.

Despite this, all staff are super friendly and went out of their way to give us info on local restaurants (there's a gorgeous Italian place close by, along with some Indian and Chinese restaurants), and to help us with our plans to visit Windsor close by.

Overall, the staff and customer service is great, the rooms are lovely and facilities are fine, but the noisy rooms and tiny breakfast are quite disappointing. Also, I'm a stickler for health & safety, and noticed there was a chair on the firth floor blocking the fire extinguisher.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This bed and breakfast has a good standard room quality and facilities with a generally friendly staff, but the room that we were allocated had such poor sound insulation that we where kept awake late (and woken early) by the neighbors in the room next to us. The room was also unbearably hot (due to the weather) even with the window wide open - basically with both the poor build quality and heat it meant we had a very bad nights sleep (we would have had a better nights sleep in the car to be honest).

We had actually booked in for two nights, and although where offered another room, as we had a 6 hour drive the next morning, we just couldnt take the risk of two nights of the same conditions and no sleep, so we checked out a day early. Unfortunately the owner refused to give us a refund for the second night, even though the room provided wasn't fit for purpose, which i find very disappointing considering the generally good reviews here on Tripadvisor. To be clear, we are not particularly sensitive to sound, and the neighbours where not particularly noisy - you can just hear EVERYTHING through the shared wall between the rooms. So yes generally good service and standard of room quality, just (for the rooms with shared walls) very poor wall/door sound insulation - definitely not recommended.

This review gets an even poorer review also due to the fact that the owner still charged us for the additional night we had booked - he (Phillip) was not understanding of our situation and only used the argument that 'no one else had complained' to refuse us a refund for the unused night. Poor customer service considering we weren't being fussy, that just the rooms where not fit for purpose (i.e. for sleeping).

Room Tip: Don't take the risk of a poor nights sleep at this bed and breakfast...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I was away for work, and it had been a long - very hot - day. I was greeted with a nice looking hotel - clearly well kept - a parking space and a friendly welcome. I had a ground floor room. It was very clean, as was the ensuite, and I jumped straight into a cold shower and got changed!

I noticed the car park got full quite quickly, but there's lots of parking on the street. I had trouble connecting my Macbook to the broadband, and even though the nice guy on reception did his best and did get me connected at one point, it dropped out soon after which did mean I couldn't do some work.

I realised I'd forgotten some toiletries and walked up to the local shop. I also drew out some money from the ATM across the street from the hotel - so lots of conveniences.

I slept well. Despite every window open it was very quiet. And breakfast was lovely. It's called continental but I was offered scrambled egg and beans, so I had that and some fruit and yoghurt. Really very nice.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at Highclere because we were attending an event at Ascot Racecourse (only 1.5 miles away) and were impressed by the pleasant and helpful staff (they couldn't do enough for us, but the service was efficient and unobtrusive). Very clean, very well equipped (the bottled water and the Kit Kats were a bonus!) and far, far better than I'd expected at this price point. The 4 and 5 star hotels in this area could learn a thing or two about how to run a hotel from the Highclere!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the building are on the road (but the traffic isn't heavy), but are cooler...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascot
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection
Stirrups Country House Hotel

Been to Highclere Hotel? Share your experiences!