“Excellent value for money”
Review of Sunningdale Park

Sunningdale Park
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ascot
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Having used other Devere Venues facilities which were historically part of my companies training facilities I was very familiar with the format. I use Devere because I am tired of paying high rates for hotels that are dirty, noisy and in poor locations. At a typical rate of about 35gbp for a single this place became my first choice for business travel. Throw in the free wireless access and it is a no brainer. The grounds are the typical parkland setting that one would expect in any self respecting corporate training centre (after all that's what it's core business seems to be).

Having said that the restaurant and bar facilities fail to enthuse and the area appears to be a desert for available eateries.

The front desk staff have always been friendly with me - but as earlier stated the restaurant and bar could be better (staff and service).

When my son enrolled in a nearby university it became a natural choice for us to use when visiting him.

I tend to stay in the Bridges and Anderson wings - with Anderson being preferrable. Although the rooms are smaller - they seem to be more modern.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed 28 February 2011

I have stayed here 5 times before and each time it gets worse, rooms are dirty, rude staff and all common areas are disgusting. Grounds are nice though : )
Pazzia is a good place to eat, it is on London Rd very close to this place

Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed here as a night away we had stayed here before 2 years ago! It's ok bed is comfy bathroom clean, sheets clean etc! Although holes in the Walls, stains on the Walls, door didn't shut properly and very little to do! Channels 1-5!! I mean how basic is that?!
Not even a pen in the room!!!
We paid £19 so I didn't complain maybe I should have?
It's a long way from anything so no short walks to a nice pub you really have to drive or get a cab!
The rooms are a long way from the reception! It's quite quaint!
Website said no gym but I saw signs for a gym on the way in, and only an outside heated pool!? They realise this is the uk right?! Ha ha!

We tried the bar grill last time we stayed it was ok!

The grounds are gorgeous though lots of bunnies and nice walks I'd imagine this would be a lovely location for a wedding!

It's ok for a couple of nights but don't expect mod cons although they do have free coffee and free wifi now which helps! But they need to improve the tv!!! For a wedding or a conference this would be great though not so great for a chill out weekend though!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Room was clean and well equipped, better than most. Only go to this place in dryish weather as there can be an outside walk to the bar. Otherwise would definitly return.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

I enjoyed my stay here. The staff were very friendly, apart from the barman, and the room was a decent size with all you'd expect from a hotel. It's a little on the holiday camp side with the rooms in blocks, but if that sort of thing bothers you you should get out more.

More than suitable for business I'd say.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2011

We booked this break at the hotel on a special offer they had which included dinner on both evenings with a bottle of wine with dinner. In terms of value for money you can’t really complain too much, however they seemed to be some basic areas in which the hotel could improve what they offer. We dined in the restaurant on the Friday evening and were greeted with a very nice evening meal which a waiter took our order and our 3 course meal was served to us which we enjoyed. After a day at the rugby on the Saturday we returned to the hotel expecting an evening meal, similar to what we had received on the Friday. You should never expect!!!! We returned to what I can only describe as a help yourself buffet style basic dinner service. After a nice Friday evening I can’t understand why the hotel would revert to a buffet style dinner service which I have to say was run very badly. Staff running all over the place, leaving guests in the restaurant looking somewhat bewildered and a dinner service you can say was disorganised to say the least. Staff not clearing starter and main course plates away, white wine served warm, staff looking like they would rather not be there, all this with more staff on duty than was required for a buffet style dinner service.

The other thing I would like to mention is something that I still can’t find mentioned anywhere on the hotels website is the walk you have to make to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner. The accommodation is split across 3 blocks on the complex amongst government buildings. The restaurant and reception area are again in another building. Thankfully it was a nice weekend and the weather was not an issue walking to and from the restaurant.

Once in your bedroom I have to say the accommodation is very comfortable and clean. The bedroom we had was modern with a very nice bathroom, bedroom decor was also good. The woodland and gardens in which the hotel is set in are very nice and well kept.

The issues above aside I have to say in terms of location for what we were in the area for and the value for money then the hotel is ok. It would be different however if I turned up paying much more and was only staying there for a relaxing weekends break.

If the hotel listens to the feedback that it has received in the past and changes the restaurant style of service for dinner and invests in staff training a little further, then it could be a much better place to stay.

Reviewed 29 January 2011

When my employer booked this hotel, I thought I would be in for a treat - wrong!! As many have pointed out it's nothing like the website and nothing like a hotel really, more a training facility with rooms. It's big and sprawling which resulted in a long walk, in the rain with my luggage (of course none of the staff offered to help).
The rooms were quite comfortable with free wi-fi so that was great, however only having the 5 terrestrial channels was a bore and the biggest problem for me was the stink. I think it must be some kind of cleaning product although nothing like anything I've come across before, it seemed to be around many of the corridors and extremely strong in the room, which made me feel quite ill. The bathroom had also been designed in such a way that the glass shower panel, although on a swivel could not be moved hence you practically had to get into the bath to turn the taps on.
Meeting colleagues for dinner, I thought they were joking when they said it was time to go to the canteen however that is exactly what the restaurant is although the food was reasonable (pity the staff didn't point out where some of the items were though).
The key to this place is how much you pay for it - if you get one of the £29 type deals then if you can avoid or live with the smell you have got a bargain, but if you were at the £99 end of the range, then you would truly feel you have been conned.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascot
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Stirrups Country House Hotel

Been to Sunningdale Park? Share your experiences!