“Excellent, just not your normal style of hotel !”
Review of Sunningdale Park

Sunningdale Park
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ascot
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Lets be honest, if you have preconceived expectations about what a 3 star Hotel in Sunningdale is going to be like your probably going to be disappointed. We stayed for two nights as part of a trip to the racing at Ascot (£10 Taxi ride away) and having read the reviews here went with an open and somewhat nervous mind. We came away having really enjoyed our stay and unable to fault our experience.

Sunningdale Park is still the National School of Government. I'm guessing that De Vere run it under contract from the Civil Service and use the undoubted spare capacity to provide hotel accomodation on a commercial basis. Accommodation is in modern blocks named after famous civil servants. Our room was in Chaucer which is probably the block furthest from reception, a five minute walk. We were on the second floor and although it didn't bother us there was no lift. The room was clean and smart with a nice bathroom.and we found it very quiet also a bit on the warm side but we could always open the window.

We had pre paid for bed and breakfast but without a car (We traveled by Train/Taxi) we were limited to eating at the hotel. The restaurant was the other side of the site and was a pleasant stroll through the grounds which was more like a school nature walk! The food and service were nothing short of excellent, served buffet style there was a good choice in pleasant surroundings and at £18.50 for three courses good value too. Breakfast was also excellent and your own pot of tea or coffee rather than a trip to the machine was much appreciated. I should also mention the omelette cooked to order option at breakfast, very good!

We really enjoyed our stay at Sunningdale Park. The staff were always very helpful, great customer service, good accommodation and great food. No complaints here but I can see how people could be disappointed and would ask De Vere to be honest about Sunningdale Park and highlight its good points but also explain to potential customers what it really is.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I were very concerned after reading some of the reviews to Sunningdale Park, however we were pleasantly suprised. The lady on reception was very helpful and friendly. We stayed in the Chaucer Block and the room was clean and bathroom was spotless - as I am quite particular. We stayed on a special offer which included dinner, bed & breakfast with wine. The food was good with as much to eat as you would wish, although I was a little dissappointed it was a buffet. The waiter also went out of his way to allow us to have a rose wine as it was just white or red in the offer. The walk from the Chaucer Block to the reception and restaurant took approx 5 mins - but it was a pleasant walk AND it meant the room was quiet as it was away from the main stream. Breakfast was average and the chap who welcomed us into the breakfast room ensured we had a clean table to sit at.

All in all, we stayed there for 1 night as we were going to Ascott races. This was ideal and I would stay again. Clean and comfortable was our stay and the staff do make an effort in my opinion. A good 3+ star hotel so dont expect 4 or 5 and you wont be dissappointed.

Room Tip: Chaucer rooms - facing the woodland - a bit of a walk to the reception - but quiet and relatively ne...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

A last minute descision to find somewhere close (ish) to home for a weekend away, an offer from The Times in conjunction with Superbreaks, and my wife and I find ourselves at the Sunningdale Park near Ascot.

I can understand people being put off by their first impression, the accomodation blocks do indeed look akin to a dormitory (thats because they are!), the NSG is based in the grounds and therefore cater for all sorts of lectures/courses and the like.

We stayed in the Bridges Block (BR34) the room was comfortable with the usual 5 channel television along with tea/coffee making facilities, a decent bathroom with the standard up and over shower, plenty of storage space and free wi-fi.

The hotel is set in what a very big garden !! 65 acres to be exact, as the weather was glorious last weekend (24/25 March) it was very nice to stroll aroung the grounds for an hour or so, and listen to the birds, and watch the Red Kites enjoying the thermals, the highlight was the sight and sound of a Woodpecker (though not everyone agreed with me !), the Mansion (Northcote House) that everyone mentions is indeed in the grounds but was strictly off limits as their was a wedding there, as indeed there is most weekends. There are no rooms at the Mansion if you are staying at the De Vere Sunningdale Park.

The deal that I signed up for was for breakfast and evening meal, which was taken in the Pepys Restaurant just a short stroll away from our room, the evening meal was superb, four choices from the main menu, a good selection for starters and then to finish a very tempting dessert selection, all served buffet style, on the Sunday a complimentary bottle of wine was offered, and accepted.

Breakfast was just as good, with juices and cereals to start with, the full breakfast option, toast and pastries available all buffet style and tea/coffee brought to your table.

Of course a huge selling point of the Hotel is its location with London only 30 minutes away, Ascot, Windsor and a host of days out options close by.

For the money I paid (£106.20) for the two of us, for 2 nights Bed Breakfast and evening meal, I could not fault the place, though on the Monday (26th) we had to be checked out by 0900, whereas weekend check out is a more respectable 1030.

All of the staff I had dealings with were very courteous and helpful, in particular in the restaurant where the Maitre D took time to explain to everyone how the restaurant operated.

I have never dealt with De Vere Hotels before but on the evidence of this stay, I will be booking with them again.

1  Thank amarokChepstowWales
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sunningdale Park with another couple the night before we played golf at nearby Wentworth. My friend found out about the place on the internet and suggested we stay there as it was close to the golf course and had all of the usual amenities plus it's own pitch and putt course and an offer for dinner, bed and breakfast for £89 a couple.

After we booked, curiosity got the better of me and I checked out Tripadvisor. I have to say that this place seems to have - hands down - the greatest selection of bad reviews I've ever seen. Not good news, but always one to make the best of a bad situation I took comfort in the fact that the food reviews were good and that we would only be staying for one night.

So now on to the pros and cons of Sunningdale Park......

PROS:
* Great DB&B offer £89 for a couple in this area is good going.
* Food was excellent: a buffet-style 3 course dinner & breakfast (full English, continental, a bit of both - you decide!).
* Free tea, coffee, milk and biscuits in reception and in the bar/restaurant reception area
* Beautiful location, although a shame that the website is misleading as to which bits you'll actually stay in and be able to access.

CONS:
* Fawlty Towers style service on reception: First, one of the couples was firstly given a single room which was still being made up - bearing in mind we were all on the same booking and all present and correct at the reception desk, you would have thought it would have been obvious we were being given the wrong room (the entire block the room was in being specifically for single occupation). Second, we were given directions by the same clueless receptionist to the pitch and putt course, only to be turned away on arrival due to a wedding in the hotel grounds (this was one of the key reasons for booking and we'd also called ahead to check on this facility, so a major disappointment!). Next, the couple who were given a proper double room to start with found their room to be filthy and had to be moved. We actually ended up in clean, servicable rooms opposite each other in the Anderson block (why this wasn't the case from the beginning I don't know!). Finally, when we were asked on check out about our stay and my friend gave a run down of the problems the receptionist on duty make eye contact with my friend and offered to get the manager to call her later in the week.
* Bar - mixed messages about Sunday opening time (it eventually opened at 5:30pm despite being advertised by staff and on literature as 5pm). The restaurant duty manager did however get us some drinks when we arrived before opening.
* Beds - the smallest double beds I've seen width-wise, although the door to my room still wouldn't open fully as the bed was behind it. My 6'3" hubby managed fine with the length of the bed, contrary to comments I've seen on here.
* Facilities - despite the size of the place, many of the facilities were unavailable or on strangely restricted hours, not to mention the wedding closing access to certain things (this should have been advertised, or at least the reception staff should have known what was going on!).

All in all, our break wasn't ruined by these things, but Sunningdale Park could have been so much better with just some simple organisation and accurate advertising (Devere, you should under-promise and over-deliver, not the other way round!).

Room Tip: Rooms in Anderson were of a decent Travelodge standard, but clearly rooms in the main house which fo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We booked this on a cheap b&b deal just to get away for a night and really enjoyed it. As it is a conference centre you should not expect it to be hotel style but all you need is there. We were going to go out for dinner but as it was the Saturday night of the big snow in February we ate in the restaurant which was very good, the breakfast is one of the best and worth what we paid for the room and breakfast. If you need somewhere for its location go with an open mind and dont worry about the rough edges. All of the staff were brilliant and all mucked in on the Sunday morning early to clear the snow from the paths and walkways.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Having seen images of good looking accommodation in the neo-Georgian mansion I booked a special offer to stay for one night with my wife. I ended up in a student accommodation unit which was part of a college campus and not at all as described. It was a long way from a student dining room, and the main house facilities were not available. VERY disappointing! Did not stay, but drove home again as we live fairly close.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The most beautiful place I've ever seen! We are really enjoyed our stay. Satisfied customer is customer who will come back.. and we will come...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ascot
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Hilton Bracknell
Hilton Bracknell
#5 of 7 in Bracknell
Stirrups Country House Hotel

Been to Sunningdale Park? Share your experiences!