A couple of nights spent at the De Vere Sunningdale Park were never as bad as some previous reports had led us to believe. Yes it is a bit quirky and quite unusual. Yes a bit like a college campus and a very different experience from most hotels. Yet, if you take the time to recognise what to expect it is still very good value for money and the grounds are lovely. Our room was as expected rather small but the space was well used, it was clean, with a comfortable bed and the heating worked well. Was there a downside? Well yes the choice of food for our set evening meals was very limited, it could so easily be improved, for example the cheese board on our first night offered the choice of just cheddar or Red Leicester ... Good breakfast though! What I can never understand, is how hotels can charge over £20 for a very average house wine? However, the whole experience was Ok and If you retain a sense of humour and if you can remember the TV series "The Prisoner" you can think of being in a rather unusual village .... Golf buggies transporting people around the campus, massive clocks on the wall of the bathrooms, a red Telephone box with a table laid for dinner inside ... Well it would not have seemed out of place to see a big white ball appear and follow you around this very different hotel experience.. Should I remember the leaking towel radiator in the bathroom or my cold medium rare steak? Then I ask myself would I go back? Probably, as I do think they are trying to make the most of what was an old Civil Service College.... Come on though, for De Vere it shouldn't be too difficult to find a selection of good cheeses and stop taking the xxxxxxx and source some much better wines at a sensible prices ... A bit more care and imagination in the kitchens and some wine that is actually worth £20 a bottle would make an enormous improvement to the restaurant experience. On our 2nd night we actually upgraded to a £27 pound bottle of wine which was still pretty average, I later found this wine available on-line for £84 for 12 bottles ??? All-in-all a good base for a day at the races in a lovely setting
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sunningdale Park in Ascot is a modern hotel that offers bedroom accommodation in over 65 acres of landscaped gardens and natural woodland. The hotel offers stylish bedrooms, free Wi-Fi, free parking and a take-away breakfast box only. A gym is also available. Easily accessible from several major motorways including the M3, M4, and M25 and just 30 minutes from Heathrow, the hotel is well-placed for business traveller stays during the week. An easy reach to London and close proximity to some great local attractions including Ascot Racecourse, LEGOLAND and the majestic town of Windsor, the hotel is also a convenient and cost-effective base for weekend breaks to the area. Please note there is no restaurant or bar at the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sunningdale Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunningdale Park Ascot, Berkshire
- Sunningdale Park Hotel Ascot