“Experience marred by poor service”
Review of Golden Curry

Golden Curry
Ranked #10 of 13 Restaurants in Eton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Frequented by my family for over 40 years, though less so latterly, the food is generally good but last night the service was awful.

We arrived early (7pm) so only a few tables were occupied. The Indian music was extremely (and unusually) loud so I politely asked if it could be turned down - explaining that my partially deaf parents could not hear the conversation across our small table because of the noise. I had to ask a second time before this was actioned. I found the staff attitude insensitive given that I had explained the reason for the request the first time.

When it came to the bill they had overcharged by nearly 20% - having allocated the £7.90 dessert cost into the drinks listing and then again under a separate 'Desserts' heading. Apparently two different people had compiled the bill. When my mother was trying to use the card reader (if you have 'older' parents you will understand!) the waiter mentioned at least three times that there was a gratuity option. It was hard to determine if he was just being helpful or hopelessly optimistic. Needless to say we did not leave a tip and are unlikely to return. Such a shame the place seems to have downhill.

1  Thank RachelP08

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Have eaten here plenty of times in the past and the food has been great,This week I orderd a takeaway and was realy disapointed to find the shish kebab had been replaced by two fish cakes (these are not even on the menu) and the chops I had orderd as a 2nd starter looked like nothing I have seen before in my life,what ever they were went straight in the bin.The main meal was all sauce and hardly any chicken.The rice and nann bread were fine.I dont know what has happened but this place has gone right down hill in the last few months and I wont be going back for a sit down meal or takeaway again

1  Thank Joestaffie
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I used to eat here on a regular basis and loved the food. But after having regular take always from this restaurant, I won't eat here again. The takeaway containers were only half filled and most of it filled with sauce not very much meat at all. It really makes you wonder if they want your custom because the takeaways are a joke. I won't be back and I would not recommend this restaurant to my friends. I cannot comment on the "eat-in" meals though.

2  Thank David H
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My son is a regular here and so on visiting him we often find ourselves visiting this restaurant. We have always found the staff friendly and the service has been very efficient. Food is excellent and reasonably priced. Tends to be rather quiet but then we eat early e.g. 7pm ish.

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I have been coming here for 13 years I and have never had a bad thing to say about this place. In fact I have given it 5 stars in previous ratings. However it had gone down hill tremendously this year and I have stopped going.
The staff have turned into morons, the lamb jalfrezi was like a poor lamb stew and place is always empty where before you had to book our wait for a table.

Very disappointed.