“Good Value Stay”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Maidenhead
Southampton
“Good Value Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed for just one night recently when visiting the Hinds Head in Bray and wanted to stay the night near by. Got a reasonable deal with the HI website, easy to find close to motorway. As a HI member had free standard wifi which was fine for my purpose. Room was clean and fine for one night, decent flat screen tv though hardly used.

Hotel was busy with lots of kids running around as clearly popular for Lego Land but very quiet at night and not disturbed. Breakfast was a little chaotic, thought at 830 would have been quieter but don't think they have a quiet time. Staff worked hard to keep everything stocked and cleaning tables as families left, forgotten what damage a couple of kids can do!

Overall a decent hotel, not outstanding but good value and all the staff we met were firendly and efficient, plus large free car park which akes a nice change

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SteveHarron, General Manager at Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thanks for the review and great to read you had a good, peaceful and restful stay. Hope the Hinds Head lived up to expectations.

Thanks again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in HI Maidenhead for a night, as part of a Legoland package break. In fairness to the Hotel, they did their very best to move forward our booking and they were very accommodating despite the fact that the error was entirely ours.

The exterior does not do this hotel many favours; is awful 60s architecture. Clinical and unappealing. The interior offered great contrast to the tired looking exterior, looked and felt modern and clean.

Priority Status was immediately recognised when checking in and the welcome was very warm. We were given a room in the executive floor. For an executive room I was expecting something a bit more elegant; it was alright.

The hotel has a reasonable size pool for adults and a smaller one for kids. A jacuzzi is also present, as well as sauna in the change rooms. Overall, quite good and the family enjoyed.

Having spent a long day in LEGOLAND we didn't want to venture locally for our dinner, hence we decided to have ours in the hotel. It was average; the roasted potatoes that garnished our dishes were roasted hours ago and microwaved before serving. The kids menu (free) largely comprised of the left overs of that day's breakfast. Not impressed with this; felt like our children were treated like dogs. Drinks ok but overpriced.

Wife and kids said breakfast was good; I did not bother (as I never do anyway...) but I trust their judgement on this one.

Night sleep was excellent in very comfortable bed. Good shower pressure and nice, crispy towels.

Would we return to this hotel? Likely. Served us well, for a night and the staff are very courteous and do go the extra mile to help the guests with their needs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank moslit
Thank you for the extensive review following your recent stay with us and glad to read that on the whole you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry about the potatoes on you meal clearly these should have been better but I do have to completely disagree with your comments on the children's buffet. The fact there could have been sausages on the buffet that evening does not mean it is breakfast re-served.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write about your visit.
Kind regards
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on two separate weekends on my recent trip to Maidenhead. The first weekend I was put in room 412. With two large suitcases I was expected to climb two steep flights of stairs. I asked and received help but felt very embarrassed as I did not have change to tip the porter and of course was faced with the same problem on check out. The room was old in need of updating but very clean and I did not hear noise or disturbance from adjoining rooms and slept well. There is a kettle and tea is supplied I'm the room as well as a small fridge that you are allowed to use for personal items or they will supply products for you to purchase.

The second weekend was not so great the room was #250 and on arrival I was at least directed to an elevator for my use. The room was same basic room bit shabby but again very clean. Except for the trash bin from prior user that had not been emptied. I could have lived with that but when I tried to go to bed I discovered that the duvet cover was empty and the actual quilt was in a ball at the bottom of the cover I tried to sort it out but failed as I was so tired. I called front desk they said they would send duty manager as housekeeping was gone (strange not a single housekeeping person on a Friday night) he didn't arrive so I called again they said he would come soon. He arrived, sniffing constantly and stripped the bed while sniffing the whole time. It put me off as he made the bed touching all the bedding yuk! But I was so tired I just accepted it and went to bed. The next day they didn't clean the room I admit I told the guy never mind but you would have thought they would want to go the extra mile for me but no it wasn't to be. That all said the staff are very helpful and the room itself clean.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Trudy H
Thanks for writing a review of the hotel and for your feedback.
Unfortunately due to the nature of our building we do not have a lift to 20 of our bedrooms but I was pleased that we were able to help with your luggage. No need to feel embarrassed about lack of tip, it really isn't expected.
I was very surprised to read of your duvet comments, not something I have come across before and sounds very odd indeed and I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused. With regards to servicing your room, if you told the staff not to clean your room then they wouldn't have as they would assume that you wanted privacy. Sorry if this was misunderstood but hope it did not detract too much from your stay.
Thanks again for writing about the hotel.
Kind regards
Berkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

So stayed in an executive room and paid in excess of £120.00 without breakfast and believe it or not the hotel still wants you to pay £5.00 for 1 hour of wifi or £24.00 all in. When are hotels going to realise the choice of your hotel is now based on if you also get wifi for no extra charge!! Oh and the room and hotel is ok. I wouldn't class it as executive as you get two bottles of water and a mars bar for the extra cost. Not my view of executive. Try harder Holiday Inn Maidenhead.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for the obvious upset caused. We do indeed offer free WiFi to all guests if they are members of the IHG Rewards club, which is free to join and you can sign up at reception or on-line. This gives free WiFi in all IHG hotel around the world whether you are a resident or not, sorry this wasn't made clear during your stay.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write about us
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel was ok and everything was as expected, clean and relatively modern, in a decent location, however, Its not any better than your average hotel and was very pricey for this standard.

The Room:
the room was clean with a good amount of space and modern enough.

The Restaurant
Food was reasonably priced no different to other hotel restaurants, the food was good and the staff were friendly.

General Comments:
Good location, close to motorway links if travelling anywhere round west of London.
From the outside the hotel does not look much, but is much nicer on the inside.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for the review, just sorry we only got 3 stars!
Hope we get a chance to welcome you again next time you're in the area.
Regards
Flint, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Perhaps not the best looking hotel but the location was excellent and we couldn't fault our room which was very clean and comfortable and surprisingly quiet considering the number of children in the hotel. The receptionists were very helpful - especially Chloe who put herself out finding us the best parking places in central Windsor together with maps and locations. We couldn't fault the breakfast either - plenty of choice, all the hot food regularly topped up. Would definitely return here if we're in the area again.

Room Tip: One overlooking the front car park on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen L
Thanks for the review and kind words about the hotel and staff. Great to read you had a good stay and hope we can welcome you again soon.
Regards
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Holiday Inns -and I've stayed at a few - are all about consistent quality at a reasonable price. You are not really paying for charm, so I won't dwell too much on the fact that architecturally this is one of the most charmless of them all, surrounded by its car park and resembling a 1970s hospital. Inside, things are no nicer, with an open plan sitting room and bar dispensing with any kind of intimacy. What I minded much more was the fact that our ground floor room number 116 was next to the automatic doors to the car park at the rear. This meant a steady traffic of smokers from the bar chatting outside our window, and the hiss of the doors opening and closing at all hours. We asked to be moved but were told the hotel was full. Management are obviously aware of the problem because they said smokers shouldn't congregate there and said they would ask them to move. Sadly, this was a King Canute-like endeavour. A large notice sign would perhaps be more effective. Anyway, people who are NOT members of the Holiday Inn rewards program should be pleased to hear that no preference is given to those who are, because I am an Elite Gold member but I still got this room - I suppose somebody has to. However, what really puts the nail in the coffin for me here is the small things that were wrong, and stacked up. The TV signal kept getting interrupted, meaning eventually we gave up trying to watch. Small and threadbare towels. A "clean" flannel which hadn't been changed and had a stain on it. No ramp at the front for luggage (the disabled access ramp requires you to ring a bell for attention), one of the two automatic front doors broken. It all adds up to a sense of mild neglect. It's a shame, because the staff deserve better - they were pleasant and friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms in general, and 116 in particular
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CayoteLondon
SteveHarron, General Manager at Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thanks for the review and please accept my apologies for the obvious disappointment you had from your stay. You raised lots of points and I hope to address as many as I can with out writing an essay. Would be happy to discuss the matters with you personally?
Clearly we don't have all the details of your booking but I assume you booked a twin bedded room having been allocated room 116. We have a limited number of twin rooms in the hotel and so would have limited options for room location. The majority of our twin rooms are on the ground floor corridor where you stayed.
With regard to smokers, yes this is an ongoing issue with a limited amount we can do. We do our best to police it however we will always have to rely on guests being considerate to other residents and yes we already have a large sign as you suggest.
Sorry our lounge and bar area was not to your taste and clearly the linen you describe is unacceptable and there can be no excuse for this.
I am sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay but I do hope that as a gold IHG Rewards member you will continue to use our hotels in the future.
Thank you again for writing such an honest review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,155 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor? Share your experiences!