“Great for travelling around in the area, but...........”

Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Staffordshire Moorlands
“Great for travelling around in the area, but...........”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is near the M4 and A404M and hence is great for getting around. Ideal for LEGOLAND and Windsor. It's a bit tired now and the staff are only OK. Food is OK too, but staff need to liven up a bit. An executive room is a bit of a misnomer and is the minimum level. Needs to try harder.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SteveHarron, General Manager at Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for the review, disappointed that you only found your experience OK and surprised by your comments about the team as they normally attract many good comments. Hope we get a chance in the future to show you that we can be better than OK.
Thanks for writing about us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights to take our two sons to Legoland Windsor because the Legoland Hotel had no availability. The hotel does look pretty oldfashioned with a shabbyish 70's vibe to the exterior but has a clean and modern interior and the rooms are fine (not exactly spacious but adequate).
This feels like a business hotel but all the staff are genuinely nice and when you get to meet them at breakfast they are extremely courteous, friendly and helpful and are a credit to the hotel. They know that families staying here are Legoland-bound and make an effort to chat to children. The breakfast is good with continental offerings, a hot cooked buffet and even a pancake-making machine.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one night which was ok but expensive (and the kids ate free??!!) and had dinner at the bar the second night which was good and slightly more reasonable although we did not have starters.
But the MAIN ATTRACTION about this hotel is the swimming pool. Kids love pools and after a long day in Legoland it was nice for us to float a while ourselves.
We also spent a day in Windsor itself which is beautiful and took a tour of Windsor Castle which is recommended. There are audio guides for children also (our children are aged 6 and 9 years and it just about held enough interest for them). All in all we could not fault this Holiday Inn and would return.
Complimentary WiFi was available for 24 hours from first login.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the review and great to read that you and the family had a good stay. Yes we're a 1960s building but unfortunately can't do a great deal about that, glad the interior was more appealing and you were able to make use fo the pool and leisure facilities..
Thanks for taking the time to write about us and hope we can see you again soon.
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We booked in on 20th July for 3 nights. Had a package with 2 days at Legoland.
Easy check in and helpful staff.
Room was very clean, however, felt more clothes storage wouldn't have gone amiss (there were 4 of us).
Evening meal in the hotel was lovely and good value.
Swimming pool is very nice and clean.
Beds were comfortable, and the breakfast is one of the best I have had in a hotel such as this.
Looking forward to my breakfast here again tomorrow, and with a 12 midday checkout time we don't have to rush.

This hotel is is conveniently located for Legoland and Windsor.

• Stayed July 2014
Wow what a nice review - thanks! Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the 5 stars and hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Thanks for writing about us.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had to stay here and location was convenient not too far from the airfield and railway station. The inside is actually better than the outside leads you to believe. The staff were very friendly and no big queues. The rooms are OK but basic and suffer a bit from cracked and wobbly fittings. Charging £5 an hour for wifi is totally unacceptable these days though. The buffet breakfast was good except the dryest, crumbly, powered scrabbled eggs every morning.

Room Tip: Higher rooms avoid the wedding reception discos
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for the review and the nice comments about much of your stay. WiFi is free to IHG Rewards Club members in all our hotels across the world and free to join, sorry if you were not made aware of this.
Scrambled eggs, I'm with you on that one, should have been better by the sounds of it however some people do like it as you describe. Think we have to find a happy medium on it though.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write about us.
Southampton
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed for just one night recently when visiting the Hinds Head in Bray and wanted to stay the night near by. Got a reasonable deal with the HI website, easy to find close to motorway. As a HI member had free standard wifi which was fine for my purpose. Room was clean and fine for one night, decent flat screen tv though hardly used.

Hotel was busy with lots of kids running around as clearly popular for Lego Land but very quiet at night and not disturbed. Breakfast was a little chaotic, thought at 830 would have been quieter but don't think they have a quiet time. Staff worked hard to keep everything stocked and cleaning tables as families left, forgotten what damage a couple of kids can do!

Overall a decent hotel, not outstanding but good value and all the staff we met were firendly and efficient, plus large free car park which akes a nice change

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SteveHarron, General Manager at Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thanks for the review and great to read you had a good, peaceful and restful stay. Hope the Hinds Head lived up to expectations.

Thanks again
UK
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in HI Maidenhead for a night, as part of a Legoland package break. In fairness to the Hotel, they did their very best to move forward our booking and they were very accommodating despite the fact that the error was entirely ours.

The exterior does not do this hotel many favours; is awful 60s architecture. Clinical and unappealing. The interior offered great contrast to the tired looking exterior, looked and felt modern and clean.

Priority Status was immediately recognised when checking in and the welcome was very warm. We were given a room in the executive floor. For an executive room I was expecting something a bit more elegant; it was alright.

The hotel has a reasonable size pool for adults and a smaller one for kids. A jacuzzi is also present, as well as sauna in the change rooms. Overall, quite good and the family enjoyed.

Having spent a long day in LEGOLAND we didn't want to venture locally for our dinner, hence we decided to have ours in the hotel. It was average; the roasted potatoes that garnished our dishes were roasted hours ago and microwaved before serving. The kids menu (free) largely comprised of the left overs of that day's breakfast. Not impressed with this; felt like our children were treated like dogs. Drinks ok but overpriced.

Wife and kids said breakfast was good; I did not bother (as I never do anyway...) but I trust their judgement on this one.

Night sleep was excellent in very comfortable bed. Good shower pressure and nice, crispy towels.

Would we return to this hotel? Likely. Served us well, for a night and the staff are very courteous and do go the extra mile to help the guests with their needs.

1 Thank moslit
Thank you for the extensive review following your recent stay with us and glad to read that on the whole you enjoyed your visit. I am sorry about the potatoes on you meal clearly these should have been better but I do have to completely disagree with your comments on the children's buffet. The fact there could have been sausages on the buffet that evening does not mean it is breakfast re-served.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write about your visit.
Kind regards
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on two separate weekends on my recent trip to Maidenhead. The first weekend I was put in room 412. With two large suitcases I was expected to climb two steep flights of stairs. I asked and received help but felt very embarrassed as I did not have change to tip the porter and of course was faced with the same problem on check out. The room was old in need of updating but very clean and I did not hear noise or disturbance from adjoining rooms and slept well. There is a kettle and tea is supplied I'm the room as well as a small fridge that you are allowed to use for personal items or they will supply products for you to purchase.

The second weekend was not so great the room was #250 and on arrival I was at least directed to an elevator for my use. The room was same basic room bit shabby but again very clean. Except for the trash bin from prior user that had not been emptied. I could have lived with that but when I tried to go to bed I discovered that the duvet cover was empty and the actual quilt was in a ball at the bottom of the cover I tried to sort it out but failed as I was so tired. I called front desk they said they would send duty manager as housekeeping was gone (strange not a single housekeeping person on a Friday night) he didn't arrive so I called again they said he would come soon. He arrived, sniffing constantly and stripped the bed while sniffing the whole time. It put me off as he made the bed touching all the bedding yuk! But I was so tired I just accepted it and went to bed. The next day they didn't clean the room I admit I told the guy never mind but you would have thought they would want to go the extra mile for me but no it wasn't to be. That all said the staff are very helpful and the room itself clean.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Trudy H
Thanks for writing a review of the hotel and for your feedback.
Unfortunately due to the nature of our building we do not have a lift to 20 of our bedrooms but I was pleased that we were able to help with your luggage. No need to feel embarrassed about lack of tip, it really isn't expected.
I was very surprised to read of your duvet comments, not something I have come across before and sounds very odd indeed and I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused. With regards to servicing your room, if you told the staff not to clean your room then they wouldn't have as they would assume that you wanted privacy. Sorry if this was misunderstood but hope it did not detract too much from your stay.
Thanks again for writing about the hotel.
Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor

Been to Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor? Share your experiences!