“Some staff training required!”

Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
essex
“Some staff training required!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Every member of staff were really pleasant, friendly and helpful. However, the management need to ensure that these people are given some training. The main problem was the drinks orders, which were well below par. It seemed that the staff were struggling to understand the simplest of orders and were even getting coffee and tea mixed up because they simply couldn't tell the difference. The trial and error approach meant that a drink was poured and it was left to the customer to inform the member of staff whether their 50/50 gamble had paid off. I witnessed this performed at a number of tables by a number of different staff members. I honestly felt for the waiting staff.

The rooms, grounds and location were very pleasant and the cost of the rooms were okay.

The prices of the drinks were far too high and the breakfast, which is by far the poorest quality I have ever eaten was also far too expensive. I returned two drinks because they were watered down and based on this experience I don't think I'll want to eat a cooked breakfast again!

I thought this was going to be a good value break - it wasn't.

Beds were comfortable though!

I will not return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Rikdav
Thank you for submitting your review although I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with some aspects of your stay and for that I apologise. I would be grateful if you would advise me of the dates of your stay and I will then be able to address your concerns as your comments are not typical of the normal feedback that we receive on this site.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Giles Shaw

gshaw@fredricks-hotel.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I booked the hotel via secret escapes, and soon realised that the two rooms we had secured were double rooms. I contacted the team at Fredrick's and they were more than happy to amend our booking to 1 double and 1 twin room.

We arrived at the hotel on the 6th August, and even though the scheduled check in time was not until 3pm, we were in fact allowed into our room early. It was a bit of a shock having to put a £100 deposit down upon arrival for use of the mini bar/room service, so it was lucky I had enough money in my account! The money was repaid into my account 1 week after leaving the hotel however.

The facade of the hotel is very elegant, as is the rest of the hotel. We were extremely pleased with the rooms which we had (106 & 107). The beds were very large and comfy and the room had all the amenities you would require, such as flat screen TV, toiletries, magazines, and even an iron and ironing board in the double room.

As we had booked via secret escapes, we were also entitled to a free glass of wine each, as well as one bottle of wine per room, which were served in a beautiful ice bucket.
All things considered, we were very pleased with the hotel, unfortunately we did not get a chance to use the hotel's spa facilities due to time restrictions, but from what we saw the facilities looked good, if a little pricey!

I had to be up fairly early to attend a job interview, and was the first person at breakfast, with my family opting to eat later. Unfortunately, the breakfast was a bit of a let down. I chose a continental breakfast for time purposes however there wasn't a great choice, and my family informed me that the the cooked breakfast was very poor, with the scrambled egg being under cooked.

It is such a shame that the breakfast was poor, as the rest of the hotel is great. It is in a great location for getting around Maidenhead, and is fairly close to the motorway too, with easy access to Reading/London etc.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the ground floor (107 & 106) which had a nice outlook over the gardens, and were...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear KatyReynoldsX
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that, in the main, you enjoyed your time with us.
Moscow
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Having just come from a dump pretending to be 4*, it was lovely to walk into this hotel and be greeted by welcoming and helpful staff.

The room was wonderful (Ascot Suite) and every little detail was thought of. I am not easily impressed, but I did like this room. The view over the golf course was good, the balcony handy to chill on and the bed was perfect.

The only bad thing was the extremely loud fire alarm going off in the room at 12:15am which scared the life out of me. I awoke, not remembering where I was, and it took my a while to get back to sleep. I called reception and they told me it was an error - unfortunately it cost me a few hours sleep.

We didn't use many facilities like the bar or spa, unfortunately, but we will return again as our friends live nearby.

Thank you Fredrick's for the great service, excellent value-for-money and welcome.

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ascot Suite is spacious, has a great view and is very well decorated.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear MoscowNick
Thank you for your lovely review recently posted on Trip Advisor, very glad that you so enjoyed your time with us. I am, however, sorry that you were disturbed by the errant fire alarm and hope that this did not spoil the rest of your stay.
We will look forward to welcoming you back when next you are visiting your friends in the area.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

For a present I received a spa day here. It inc full use of the spa, lunch with champagne and 2 treatments consisting of a half hour back massage and a facial.

The morning was lovely as was able to sit in the sun by the pool. However 75% of the pool is outside so if its a cold day you cannot really go for a swim.

Had a lovely lunch outside with fresh bread rolls that were still steaming hot.

In the afternoon we relaxed by the pool, there is no jacquzzi which was a little let down for a spa. There was a steam room and sauna. Plus a foot bath that got all of my dead skin off of my feet. It was like magic, apparently there is nothing special in the water.

All in all was a lovely day but spa is small and beat to try and go on a hot day so u can make the most of outdoor pool and sun beds.

All robes, slippers and towels are inc. Nice touch is that your name is on the locker in the changing room

• Stayed August 2013
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Coddle
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review. I am delighted that you so enjoyed your day in the Spa and I hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Spent the day here with inlaws last year, and a good friend about a month ago! Looking to book again so I thought it was time that I wrote a review! On both occasions we had facials and massage. The treatments were superb. The lunch was faultless, very good quality food and excellent service all day. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Nellie D
Thank you so much for your lovely review of your days with us; I was very pleased to read your comments and to learn how much you have enjoyed your visits. Your words have been shared with all concerned.
We will look forward to welcoming you back.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We spent a night at the Fredricks on a Secret Escapes bed and breakfast special offer, we must say from the off that the hotel is really nice and intimate, the entire hotel is clean, the grounds are lovely, the rooms are beautiful, the beds are comfortable and the staff are ( from our experience) really helpful - nothing seems to be too much trouble for them.

The Spa looks really nice and the pool area looks like it would be a terrific place to relax. Unfortunately we booked too late to be able to enjoy any treatments in the spa - they were fully booked.
If we had any adverse comments it would be about the restaurant.... The food is amazing and the gardens are a really nice area to eat BUT....expensive is an understatement, now we don't mind paying more for a good meal, but this was ( in our opinion) over the top. We reckon, a nice 3 course meal with wine for 2 would cost a minimum of £100.

To pay £24 for an English breakfast is truly expensive. It was nice, really nice but not worth the best part of £50 for a couple. (We were glad it was included in the deal.)

My wife was surprised that there was no kettle and tea/coffee in the room as standard, but as we found out, if you ask they will bring a refreshment tray to your room....

She was also disappointed that there wasn't any full length mirror anywhere in the room ( she likes to check herself out as she gets ready) but that may not be an issue for everybody.

Another observation is that the place seemed to lack any atmosphere - some quiet background music playing would have been nice while we eat, especially in the morning at breakfast....

Would we return?? Yes probably but unless Food was included, we would eat elsewhere, not because of the food itself because as i said its fantastic...but the price...Ouch!!!.

1 Thank paul g
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear paul g
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to submit your review to Trip Advisor, I was very pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable time with us. I would thank you particularly for your praise of our Personnel who strive to make everyone's stay a special experience.
We are very proud of the quality of food served in our Restaurant and I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much.
Thank you once again.
Chichester, England
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My wife and I booked in for one night in the Royal Ascot Suite, with an aromatherapy massage, as a birthday treat for her. Normal check-in is not until 15.00 but we were allowed to book in on arrival at 13.00, which gave us plenty of time for a light lunch in the bar (excellent) and to get changed for the massage. The spa was fantastic, with a super pool, and we spent a very pleasant and relaxing afternoon there after our massage (with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine as it was my wife's birthday!).

On asking if we could come back the following day to use the spa facilities we were told that normally they were only available from check-in to check-out, but as they were not too busy the next day we could have complimentary use of the spa until 13.30 - great use of initiative by the spa staff! When we asked at reception if we could store our bags somewhere secure between check-out at 11.00 and lunchtime they said "No problem, but why don't you keep your room until 13.00 as no one is booked in for that night". Again, what a super response.

The Royal Ascot Suite is big, light, comfortable and airy with a balcony overlooking the garden and a big bathroom containing both a shower and separate big bath, and our only criticism was that the bed was very firm and we would have preferred a softer mattress.

Breakfast was plentiful and delicious!

If I had one point for the manager it is that it did seem a little petty to charge us for our newspaper after spending £239 for one night. Why not charge the room at £240 and make the newspaper complimentary, as everyone likes 'complimentary' even it is already accounted for in the price!

Overall it was a lovely treat and all the staff were absolutely delightful and very helpful.

Room Tip: If booking one of the (3?) suites go for the Royal Ascot on the first floor, which has a private bal...
Dear Westwit
Thank you so much for your lovely review.
Your comments regarding the Team are hugely welcome and I am delighted that they were so accommodating and helpful and, therefore, enabled you both to enjoy your time with us as much as you did.
I have noted your comment regarding the charge for the newspaper and we may well look at doing just as you say.
Many thanks again, do come back to see us in the future.
Giles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
Hurley House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Travelodge Maidenhead Central Hotel

Been to Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa? Share your experiences!