“Lovely Spa Day”

Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We booked the spa day through whanda.com and what a pleasant experience it was.
We were received with a warm welcome by the manager at the hotels entrance and shown down to the spa. The ladies greated us and showed us around the spa.
Even though the spa was very small, it made it all the more special. Some overnight guests used them facilities in the morning which became slightly crowded but by 11am it was very quiet.
Lunch was lovely, I would recommend the goats cheese salad.
The beauty therapists worked so hard, and all the ladies in the spa area are a real credit to the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Dear BeccaT23
It was a pleasure to welcome you to the Hotel and a real pleasure to read that you so enjoyed your time at The Spa. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the Team in The Spa who will be very pleased to receive such praise.
I hope that we may look forward to welcoming you back to Fredrick's in the future.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Easy to find and located a few minutes off the A308 (M) it is easy to get to. My room was in the older part of the building and it was a bit dated. However, the room was clean and comfortable - with mirrors on the ceiling! Disabled access there is not, and one of our party had difficulty getting around the hotel. The hotel is staffed mainly by receptionists, waiters and cleavers whose first language is not English. The cleaners ONLY spoke Polish and my colleague with mobility problems could not communicate his wishes to the cleaners. We had dinner in the hotel and although the menu looked exciting the food was not well cooked and the portions were small. The dishes were way overpriced too. Breakfast was a huge disappointment, and grossly overpriced. We enjoyed the swimming pool. However, we could not partake in the other offerings at the spa as there were no vacant slots in the diaries of the therapists over the weekend we spent there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear GwynRoberts
Thank you for taking the time to post your review with Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Fredrick's. I was sorry to learn that some aspects of your stay were disappointing and I will be looking into those in more detail. Our Spa is a very popular facility and we do suggest that treatments are booked in advance in order to establish availability and to avoid disappointment.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We arrived at the hotel mid morning after travelling to UK from Australia. The room was ready and we were allowed to check in early. We stayed in the Balmoral Suite, which was lovely. A good sized room with a small private courtyard. Grounds are lovely too. The spa looked great, but our itinerary didn't allow us to try it out. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. The stand out was the staff, who can't do too much for you. We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Muchtravelled 64
Thank you very much for your lovely review and generous praise of our Team here at Fredrick's who will be hugely encouraged by your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future when, hopefully, you will have time to enjoy our terrific Spa facilities.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We love this hotel so we returned with friends . Reception staff greeted us well and we was really pleased with our room in the newer part . Last time we was in one of the more dated rooms in which I have to agree with others they need updating . This time we was delighted to see tea trays in the room ready , we all feel this should be standard .
The spa , there seems to be a fault on website with treatment menu since April, we was emailed it but comes through scrambled . We really liked look of floatation room only to find out its been out of order for ages . The steam room was also out of use on this visit . However love the heated outdoor pool .
The huge downfall we feel to the hotel is prices of food and drink.
£23.50 shocking price for breakfast . We arrived for breakfast no one really greeted us . One of the staff was rude and abrupt to my friend in which we was a bit taken a back by . Then discovered it was buffet style that only had 5 items ( hot breakfast) for this price I would expect the breakfast to be freshly cooked with more items . I really would like to know how you justify the cost of this ?

• Stayed: September 2013
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Brumian
Thank you for submitting your review to Trip Advisor. I have asked that the situation you experienced in regard to receipt of emails be looked into. In the light of a number of comments, your own included, about our Breakfast service we are looking into changing our approach and pricing.
Thank you for bringing these points to my attention as it is only by comments such as your own that we are able to evaluate, honestly, our own performance.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed on a weekend break and were disappointed with the hotel. The room itself was very good with a comfortable bed although as another guest says you don't really expect a flimsy shower curtain at this price level.

We ate dinner on the first evening which was reasonably priced but a couple of dishes were let down by not being properly cooked through. Also had to chase up on the service when they forgot my drink to accompany dessert.

Breakfast was a huge let down The menu in the room implied freshly cooked with options such as scrambled egg and salmon, etc. The reality was a limited selection of English breakfast items standing in buffet trays along with continental breakfast items. The bacon was undercooked, the scrambled egg was wet and lacking texture and the mushrooms were standing in water. In a small hotel at this price point I would have expected breakfast cooked to order. Used cereal dishes and plates were not cleared from the table and while we were offered brown or white toast on the first day on the second we were just given a mix. When we asked for it to be replaced with just brown we had to remind the waitress that we hadn't been given any.

The spa equipment is looking tired and several items weren't working.

All in all the need to work harder to justify there price level.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear essexspursfan
Thank you for submitting your review to Trip Advisor; I am sorry that you were disappointed by some elements of your stay. Your feedback regarding the service issues will be discussed with all concerned in order that future Guests may benefit from your observations.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed Saturday and was pleased with the appearance of hotel from the outside. We were greeted in reception but friendly, helpful staff. When checking in, we were asked if we required a newspaper in the morning. My husband said yes & we were told that this would be charged at the normal rate. Maybe it's just me, but when staying in a nice hotel which isn't particularly cheap, I would expect the newspaper to be complimentary. Small things as the price of the paper is pretty insignificant to the cost of the hotel so just felt that this was rather petty for them to charge. Anyway, when we were walked to our room, the hotel was very nice but also very dated. The decor was probably the height of fashion in the early 80's. Our room was the same. Very nice & very clean but only a shower in the bath, with a shower curtain (which I personally hate) and a light grey bathroom suite. There wax actually peeling paint on the ceiling in the bathroom & a stain on the bedroom ceiling. Think i'm being somewhat fussy but these rooms aren't cheap. We were told that we did not have any tea/coffee making facilities in our room but that they would get us a kettle if needed. Really? Upon viewing the breakfast menu (nearly £25 per head for a full English or £12.50 for a continental), I can see why. More reason for you to pay west end prices in maidenhead for breakfast if you can't even get a cup of tea in your room. Pretty poor. Anyway, we had our complimentary glass of sparkling wine in the bar, followed by another before getting ready for dinner in the hotel restaurant. The hotel was pretty busy which was nice & my husband ordered scallops for starters. £12 for 3 scallops was a little pricey but very nice! My husband had veal for main and I had ling. Both very good at a cost of nearly £25 each. The staff were very good also. In the morning, I went for a swim ( the pool is lovely. Quarter inside. & three quarters outside). Unfortunately, the steam room wasn't working so I used the sauna which was ok. The girls working in the spa were also very friendly & helpful. Overall, it was a pleasant stay but I think that it is overpriced & could do with some serious modernisation.

• Stayed: September 2013
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Chubbs33
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed some elements of your stay and would thank you for your kind comments regarding our Personnel and standard of cuisine. I have noted the areas of disappointment and, where feasible, these will be actioned accordingly.I would thank you for pointing these out. We do not provide Tea & Coffee making facilities in the room however we are pleased to provide a full complimentary beverage tray on request as detailed in our Guest Services Directory.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Every member of staff were really pleasant, friendly and helpful. However, the management need to ensure that these people are given some training. The main problem was the drinks orders, which were well below par. It seemed that the staff were struggling to understand the simplest of orders and were even getting coffee and tea mixed up because they simply couldn't tell the difference. The trial and error approach meant that a drink was poured and it was left to the customer to inform the member of staff whether their 50/50 gamble had paid off. I witnessed this performed at a number of tables by a number of different staff members. I honestly felt for the waiting staff.

The rooms, grounds and location were very pleasant and the cost of the rooms were okay.

The prices of the drinks were far too high and the breakfast, which is by far the poorest quality I have ever eaten was also far too expensive. I returned two drinks because they were watered down and based on this experience I don't think I'll want to eat a cooked breakfast again!

I thought this was going to be a good value break - it wasn't.

Beds were comfortable though!

I will not return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Giles S, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Rikdav
Thank you for submitting your review although I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with some aspects of your stay and for that I apologise. I would be grateful if you would advise me of the dates of your stay and I will then be able to address your concerns as your comments are not typical of the normal feedback that we receive on this site.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Giles Shaw

gshaw@fredricks-hotel.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
The Oakley Court
The Thames Riviera Hotel
The Thames Riviera Hotel
#9 of 11 in Maidenhead
The Spread Eagle Hotel

Been to Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa? Share your experiences!