“Could have been made better”

Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Could have been made better”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights, the night before, and the night of my wedding. On the night before, we checked in and I was shown to my room, it was quite a big room but there was so much in it that it seemed quite small. The bathroom was nice and it was a comfortable nights sleep.
Breakfast was basic compared to what I was expecting, the breakfast room was quite small so getting to the buffet food was a little awkward with everyone walking around and there wasn't a great range on offer.

I had let the management know that I and my bridesmaids and the Mums would be getting our hair and makeup done at the hotel in the morning, they said that it wasn't a problem but they couldn't offer a larger room for us all to fit in. Because there was no way on earth that 7 of us would fit in my single room, we all squeezed into my parents double room which wasn't too much bigger. Our photographer, however, was allowed into the honeymoon suite to take some photos in the morning. The staff were very polite and the housekeeping and reception staff were very complimentary when I was leaving the hotel in my wedding dress.

We stayed in the honeymoon suite that evening and it was much bigger, plenty of room to move around and the bed was very big and comfortable.
The shower in our room wasn't working, it didn't switch on at all so they said that we could use an adjacent room to shower in. It wasn't ideal and was annoying to wake up to considering how much we had paid for the rooms and it was our first morning as husband and wife. The reception staff did apologise.

I'm not sure that the hotel was value for money. The staff were accomodating but considering how much business we had given them for the wedding party to stay over I would have expected so.

There wasn't anything special for us that would have been a nice touch, some champagne in the honeymoon suite for example, or a congratulations card? Considering we had spent £190 for that night alone, I don't think it was worth the money compared to other hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsMikeReviews
Fredrick's M, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear MrsMikeReviews,
Thank you for your review, although I find it very strange that you have only just sent it through, following a stay here in June 2013?!!!!!
Having been managing a lovely hotel in North Yorkshire last summer, I really cannot comment on your post, but if you wish to talk to me in person on 01628 581000, I will be delighted to go through your concerns and hopefully regain your confidence in Fredrick's.
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
My kindest regards,

Jeremy du Plessis.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Surrey
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed at this Hotel on Valentines night, we arrived early due to the bad weather unfortunately our room was not ready, not a problem we decided to go to the bar have a sandwich a drink and relax.
You can not use the Spa facilities until you check in.
The bar area is not inviting it feels more like a business meeting area, we were charged for a G&T that we didn't have, be careful and check your bill.
Our room was nothing special it overlooked a roof that had a moss filled area, the bathroom was very small also but plenty of storage space in the bedroom. If you need tea & coffee making facilities you need to make a request they will bring them to you a very strange arrangement for a 4 star Hotel, be aware you get cheap coffee!!
We had a 5 course tasting menu, enjoyable but nothing to shout about, good wine list and the service was overall good.
The breakfast is below average for a 4 star hotel, it was set out on a table in a corridor, the cheese & ham was dry and looked crinkled, the freshly cut bread was not fresh and the scrambled egg look unappetising to say the least.No crossaints offered or available on the table.
We requested poached and fried eggs and helped ourselves to the bacon and sausage.
We were expecting a freshly cooked breakfast.
The Spa facilities are nice we didn't get to have a treatment as they were fully booked.
All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful.
Overall this Hotel needs updating and the 4 star rating revised, would I recommend to family and friends, possibly no would be a truthful answer.

Dear SurreyAnn,

Thank you for sending us your review, I would love the opportunity to talk through the points that you make in person and if you wish to do so, please contact me directly at the hotel at any time on 01628 581000.

Many thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights Thur – Sat early Feb 2014. Overall a very enjoyable stay, but not my usual style of hotel.

Positives:
The spa facilities are beautiful and offer a nice range of services
Immaculately clean and the staff are very helpful
Rooms are very good sizes and nice en-suite facilities
Beds were a little too soft for us but very comfortable overall
Great location for Maidenhead centre and surrounding villages, we were visiting Bray which is only a 5 minute car journey from here.
Negatives:
Slightly stuffy and old fashioned in places, the restaurant and bar area has very little if no atmosphere and is not inviting to want to stay for an evening drink of meal.
The staff were unaware I have paid for B&B and presented us with price options for breakfast, we also felt the continental option was quite limited, that said we didn’t try a warm breakfast but this was prepared and cooked to order.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fredrick's M, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Deborahgrant,
Thank you for your review following your stay.
I am sorry that you found parts of the building not quite to your liking, but pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful.
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night as a child-free treat! The staff were v friendly and helpful, the room was lovely and the pool, sauna, steam room were fantastic. We loved the art dotted around the place too. The negatives - very expensive wine for what it was, the food was disappointing too - tried to be something it wasn't. We couldn't believe there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room and luckily I asked and it was brought into our room. I agree with the comments by maisieb2014. Only scrambled egg for breakfast, unless again you ask (but how would you know?!) and cheap white bread for the toast with no choice of brown etc. the rooms were very hot so I woke a few times in the night wanting to cool down - I wanted a full night of sleep without being woken up, as I'm used to with 2 young children! The decor of the hotel is very 80s/dated and could do with being brought into the 21st century.

But on the whole, it was a lovely evening and the spa/pool made up for all the niggles.

Dear FiFiJones14,
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy our food offering, We will always offer a different style of egg with breakfast, but scrambled is our standard. We have started to mix our toast offering also!
I do hope that you will come back and give us another try and please call me directly so I can look after your booking personally.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We have just had a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable stay at Fredricks, only slightly marred by the lack of hot water this morning (they had had problems with the boiler). The room was spacious and comfortable; the breakfasts excellent, especially the compote and stewed fruits - excellent and rare to find such things in hotels! The scrambled eggs were of very good quality and even the bacon was noteworthy due to its flavour. We had dinner (the taste menu) which comprised 5 courses, 2 of which were excellent (scallops and veal) but the others had too many mistakes (e.g overcooked 'melt in the middle' desert) which was a shame.
However, what for us marked this hotel out was the staff. They were so polite and helpful and genuinely friendly. They made our stay, and without the minor flaws noted above would themselves have won the hotel a 5 star rating!

1 Thank ruachcons
Dear ruachcons,
Thank you for your comments, I am very pleased to see how much you enjoyed yourselves.
It was very good of you to praise The Staff so kindly and we all hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

The room was elegant spacious and comfortable, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the spa facilities were very good. We had the taster menu for dinner and it was delicious. We have eaten in many fine restaurants and the food at Fredrick's compared well. Overall a very enjoyable stay. Would we visit again.... Yes most definitely!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul and Diane D
Dear Paul and Diane D,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very grateful for your comments about how friendly you both found my team and how much you enjoyed the standard of our Restaurant.
Craig and his Brigade try really hard to go that extra yard making every single thing freshly.
We bake our own bread daily, fresh cakes and puddings, all our sauces and main dishes.
We all hope to see you back again soon.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband and myself recently visited on a special offer, on arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant man who went out of his way to help us and answered all out questions unfortunately I did not get his name but he had only worked there for a short while. Our room was fine. Dinner inthe evening was very nice as was the breakfast in the morning. I did use the spa facilities and found the pool a nice experience being able to swim inside or out. Overall for a nights stay very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shal22
Dear Shall22,
Thank you for taking time to send us your review and letting us know how much you enjoyed yourself.
I am delighted to hear that you found the staff friendly and enjoyed our food so much.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Jeremy du Plessis.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
The Thames Hotel
#7 of 11 in Maidenhead
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa? Share your experiences!