“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here on a business trip. Food was excellent, but a few issues elsewhere:

Curtains didn't close properly
Robe and slippers provided were very worn
Disappointed there were no tea or coffee facilities in the room
Could not plug hair straighteners in at desk as the top was too close to the sockets
No cover on the base of the bed
Threadbare carpet on the stairs
VERY miserable bartender
Receptionist at check in was helpful, but one on duty when I left was very miserable

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane J
Jeremy d, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Jane J,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am very sorry to read some of your remarks, I am in the middle of replacing some of the robes and new slippers are now here.
I am surprised about your comments regarding miserable staff, that is a very unusual comment as I pride myself with having a lovely team here and it is confirmed by countless letters and reviews from our guests.
I would love to talk to you in person regarding your experience and would welcome you contacting me at Fredrick's at any time on 01628 581000.

Jeremy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
southern
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel last minute for our anniversary.

We stayed in the suite which was very spacious and clean but missed the tea and coffee facilities.

The room supplied two dressing gowns and slippers for the spa. I was pleasantly surprised to find the dressing gown a bit worned out but was changed instantly after alerting reception.

It was a very relaxing experience at the spa and i was pleased to get a treatment fitted in.

We had afternoon tea which was plentiful (scones was marvellous just melted in ones mouth) and also tried the chefs canapés in the evening with champagne.

Dinner was had the following evening. We were sat in the corner which was nice but at times had to ask for condiments and a steak knife for the main course. The waiters were very professional and the food was presented well.

I would recommend this hotel for the spa and food. I have stayed in Windsor for a spa break but it does not match my experience here.

I have recommended my experience to my friends and I would return for the spa experience again

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear travel168southern,
Thank you for your post, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will be back again soon.

Jeremy.
London
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed here overnight to enjoy a meal out, Excellent food, Service out standing, from all the staff, top class all round.Only down side was a slight technical hitch was the boilers going off, so no hot water for a few hours, but well looked after in the bar with bubbles of a different kind.We will use again in the not too distant future.
J

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear John B,

Thank you for your post, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and in particular, the levels of service from my Team and also our food offering.
Sorry about the boiler issue, It is all sorted after investigation!
I hope to see you back again in the near future.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Myself and my husband had our wedding and wedding reception at Fredricks. We had such an amazing day thanks to all the wonderful staff at the hotel, and especially to their fantastic wedding planner Alix.
Alix ensured everything went smoothly and was so very helpful during the planning phase of our big day.
We stayed in the hotel for a couple of nights in the main suite. Beautifully furnished and lovely and big, the only downside for me personally was the large bathroom suite only had a small shower. And the bathroom suite probably needs modernising - but it was still a lovely big room.

Room Tip: Whilst the standard rooms are spacious and well decorated I would recommend booking a suite if you c...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Samantha W,
I am delighted that we helped to make your special day so enjoyable and that we see you back again soon.
I know Alix put a huge amount of effort into the planning of your event and I am really pleased that we delivered it to your expectations.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

My partner and our 2 year old were staying here for a wedding based at Lillibrooke Manor nearby. We arrived very early on check in day (11am) and the concierge kindly gave us a room that hadn't been used the day before so we at least had somewhere to change to get ready as the wedding was at 1.30pm. My in-laws room wasn't ready so they got changed with us. We requested a cot which was in our room really quickly.

We requested a tea and coffee tray as it wasn't in the room. Prior to arrival at the hotel I rang and asked whether they provided a babysitting service and was advised they didn't, but in the hotel literature it said they did. I found that quite confusing as I had to arrange sitting through an agency for the evening do.

My inlaws were given a room key for the Ascot Suite by mistake and my mother in law and I moved their bags upstairs into a room already occupied! We obviously stopped and went back to reception and changed the key. They luckily got a king sized bed in their room whilst we only had a double (my partner and I are very tall!) but we got an early check in...so fair enough!

The next morning the breakfast was lovely, and the staff in the restaurant/bar area were fantastic and brought a high chair for our toddler and also heated up food on request.

We had looked forward to a swim in the spa and our 2 year old was really excited about it. We shuffled down and was advised that under 18's weren't allowed in the spa and that we should have been told at Reception. We hadn't been. Our 2 year old was devastated that he couldn't swim. Luckily the grandparents stepped in and watched him so we could get a swim. Some of the things weren't working in the spa, but it was still pleasant.

Summary: Some of the things were not smooth, and the details were not taken care of. It felt a but out of sync, but was a pleasant place to stay and the staff were very responsive and courteous. I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DmjayB
Dear DmjayB,
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we all hope that we will see you back again soon.
Jeremy du Plessis
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My friend and I had a day spa here. The pool was very relaxing and we did enjoy our day however various areas were lacking or disappointing. In the pool one hydrotherapy bed, the swan shower and one lot of jets were not working. In the treatment showers, the warm body jets were not warm and if I stood in the middle they did not reach my body as they were too weak and we could not get the tropical shower to work at all. When we had our facials we were not asked about our skin types or preferences so I can only assume that all ladies on a spa day have the same skin types and allergies. The changing room for the whole spa consists of one chair, one mirror one toilet one shower one hairdryer and when we went in after another couple of ladies (as we obviously had to wait for our turn) the room was untidy with their robes and glasses etc. In the toilets there is a hand towel, which does not meet health and safety and as there is no rail this just sat on the shelve above the toilet! I would have thought by now everyone would offer single hand towels or air dryer. As we left everyone said goodbye and thank you however we were chased after to settle our extras, £14 for two cups of coffee and two teas. Sorry Fredricks as it did all from the surface look so nice

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachel M
Fredrick's M, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Rachel M,
Thank you for your review and the comments you make.

I am not going to hide the fact that I am terribly disappointed in your remarks, because the simple fact is that the issues with some of our equipment that you mention are true.
I have recently started here as General Manager and we have just appointed a very experienced Spa Manageress who starts next week.
We have outlined an extensive plan of necessary maintenance issues that we will address in the next coming weeks and are indeed going to close the area to make sure that we give certain parts the necessary time and attention they deserve.
Please contact me on 01628 581000 and I would love to go through the plan that we have to re launch The Spa at Fredrick's.
I am very excited about our future plans going forward and especially now that we have an experienced professional coming on board to help us with our future plans.

Thank you again for letting me know your thoughts and please call me when the time is right.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

In the run up to our wedding on 15th February we were told we could not get married due to flooding and so we had to change our venue with 4 days to go (Lillibrooke Manor). We had guests travelling quite a distance for us and we had always planned to accommodate them for the night of our wedding.
We could not have been more happy with the way that Alix Matania looked after us which meant that our bride and bridesmaid were able to stay over the night before the wedding and had breakfast brought to them the morning after. We also would like to thanks Luca for looking after us in the bar after our wedding until about 3.30am! Alix also managed to arrange a private room for us the following morning so we could have breakfast with all our guests.
What seemed like it was going to be a tragedy earlier in the week ended being the best day of our lives and we have Fredricks to thank in part for this! We wish you the best of luck for the future!
Darveer and Helen Sahans

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Fredrick's M, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Darveer_Sahans,

Thank you for posting your thoughts and letting us all know just how much you enjoyed your Wedding Day with us.
I am delighted that at very short notice, Alix was able to pull out all the stops and sort things out for you during the floods. I know it was a very stressful time for you all, but how nice it was that we all got there together and your big day was such a memorable occasion for you both.
We all look forward to seeing you come back and enjoy a night with us as a couple who held their Wedding with us, just another little personal touch that we feel makes us a wee bit different from the rest of most hotels.
We like to have that personal touch as you know.
Enjoy the Honeymoon and when things settle down, come and see us all again!!

My sincerest best wishes to you both and much happiness together.

Jeremy du Plessis.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
The Thames Hotel
#7 of 11 in Maidenhead
Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa? Share your experiences!