“Very good but post stay service left a lot to be desired.”

Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at Fredrick's the night before and the night of my wedding due to the Holiday Inn not being able to honour our booking (another long story...). The hotel is clean, nicely furnished, with in the main lovely staff (with the exception of one impolite lady at reception!). We especially appreciate the patience of the night barman who had to deal with our exuberant party well into the evening. We had breakfast in the hotel one morning and that was of a good quality and quantity! Standard rooms were of a good size (we had a large party staying) and were well furnished and clean.

I have only 2 issues with the hotel. 1. We were meant to be put in a suite equivalent to the holiday inn's bridal suite. We were allocated the Balmoral Suite. Whilst being a lovely room with its own terrace area it could in no way be described as a suite: there was no separate seating area, the bathroom was basic and in need of refurbishment (dated plaster work, shower over bath, dirty toilet, aging robes/slippers) which was a bit of a disappointment for our wedding night! 2. Two days after our stay I noted that my card had been mistakenly overcharged for one extra room. To date I have made 5 separate phone calls to attempt to rectify this issue. Thus far I am still awaiting a refund, each member of staff I have spoken to has promised to solve this and has not. I asked to speak to the manager and have been told he is unavailable and there is nothing they can do. It is with a heavy heart that I leave this negative comment as our actual stay was more than adequate and this has marred what should have been a very positive, happy experience.

Overall: lovely hotel let down by poor service and slight misdescription of the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank folli2503
Jeremy d, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear folli2503,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you experienced a mix up with some charges.

I am aware that we have rectified all of this and please accept my sincerest apologies.

There are newer reviews for Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Having searched high and low for a spa break for me and my girlfriends that wouldn't break the bank we finally got lucky with Fredricks. It was undoubtedly the best value offer around. Our rooms were clean and spacious and the bathrooms were nicely fitted out and very clean. As others have said things are a bit dated but not tired or dirty. I have quite high expectations generally of a hotel no matter how much I have paid and this place was very good value and a pleasure to stay in. The spa had everything you would expect except a jacuzzi. We didn't manage to get sun loungers on our day of arrival which disappointed some of our party but we had a lovely time in the relaxation room which was very cosy. The staff were all pleasant in the spa. I don't know if children are excluded from this spa but there weren't any there and having got away my own children I was very pleased not to be greeted by anyone else's no matter how well behaved.

Our dinner was a 5 course tasting menu which was very nice and the atmosphere was relaxed. The dinning room is very dated but was obviously very grand in it's time. The dated decor didn't effect our enjoyment in fact it was quite amusing. Breakfast was also in the main dinning room and we were well catered for. It was a nice breakfast, I couldn't have eaten more if I'd tried. Lovely croissants, good fried breakfast and a bit of fruit.

I understand this place is under new management and it is clear they are making a big effort. We had a lovely time and would most definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear mitchandherb,

Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed 03/04/14- 05/04/14.

Lovely building Very clean, food was average.

All of the staff were nice apart from one lady who worked on reception during day. She was very rude and confrontational. Had it been only me she was rude to it would have been ok (as I`m not the most patient guy in the world), but actually she was rude to my aunt, grandmother and father all on separate occasions - maybe my family just invites rudeness.

Had it not been for the one receptionist, I would most certainly recommend friends. But the manner she spoke with me certainly has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: rooms on the ground floor are nicer.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SyamPaulKolli

Dear SyamPaulKolli,

I am sorry that one person seemed to have spoilt your otherwise enjoyable stay, I have looked into this and made sure that everyone is aware of the expected front of house procedures that we should be offering.
I am aware that there were many a high spirit around the place following your return from a nearby wedding, but I am delighted that you found everything else tip top.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We booked the hotel for 2 nights, planning to spend one in Bray. The hotel's marble reception area with water feature and fresh lillies made us feel we were in the Med. The staff were, without exception very friendly but the decor in the rooms is looking a little tired (just like home really). We ate at the hotel one evening and the food and service was only bettered by our experience in Bray which had a Michelin star so how could the hotel compete with that? The weekend was booked online and I mentioned that I was a vegetarian. The maitre d was aware of my dietry requirements and came prepared with 2 menus. We were even given a complementary glass of champagne as it was my husband's birthday. An expensive weekend, but well worth it in our view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the back garden - stunning!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeremy d, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Surrey Saunders,

Thank you very much for your post.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and in particular our food, service and what our team here is trying to achieve.
We are a little different from the average commercial hotel style and I think that is probably why people feel it is a wee bit more of a ''homely'' feel.
Craig and his Brigade in our Kitchen try very hard to make sure that no matter what your food tastes are.....We will always have them covered!
Thank you again for your kind words regarding my staff.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked a 2 night stay in March 2014 via Secret Escapes.
It was an amazing deal - B&B, a bottle of fizz, afternoon tea, 25% off dinner, 25% off treatments and full use of the spa facilities.

This is a lovely hotel - spotlessly clean, really friendly staff, nice and quiet and, even though full, didn't feel busy. It's not a top end Spa location, but for the price I think it's excellent. The indoor/outdoor pool is fun and the spa has plenty of beds and facilities.

One word of warning - call ahead and find out if the Spa has treatments available before your book your stay! We arrived for 2 days and they were fully booked with day spa visitors so we couldn't get a single appointment for 3 days. The hotel were very understanding and let us come back for a 3rd day when there was availability and let us use the Spa facilities again for free to make up for it which I thought was fab.

Our bed was very soft and I think they could do with a new pastry chef (the food was lovely on the whole but the deserts, biscuits and cakes let them down).

On the whole though, I think this place is lovely and we'll definitely be going back. With a few tweaks here and there they could get more stars easily.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elroque
Jeremy d, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Elroque,
Thank you for your review.
I am slightly surprised regarding your comments about pastry and desserts, however I take on board your thoughts.
However, I am delighted that you enjoyed everything else regarding your stay with us and you left feeling that you received great value for money.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here on a business trip. Food was excellent, but a few issues elsewhere:

Curtains didn't close properly
Robe and slippers provided were very worn
Disappointed there were no tea or coffee facilities in the room
Could not plug hair straighteners in at desk as the top was too close to the sockets
No cover on the base of the bed
Threadbare carpet on the stairs
VERY miserable bartender
Receptionist at check in was helpful, but one on duty when I left was very miserable

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane J
Jeremy d, General Manager at Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Jane J,
Thank you for your feedback.
I am very sorry to read some of your remarks, I am in the middle of replacing some of the robes and new slippers are now here.
I am surprised about your comments regarding miserable staff, that is a very unusual comment as I pride myself with having a lovely team here and it is confirmed by countless letters and reviews from our guests.
I would love to talk to you in person regarding your experience and would welcome you contacting me at Fredrick's at any time on 01628 581000.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I booked this hotel last minute for our anniversary.

We stayed in the suite which was very spacious and clean but missed the tea and coffee facilities.

The room supplied two dressing gowns and slippers for the spa. I was pleasantly surprised to find the dressing gown a bit worned out but was changed instantly after alerting reception.

It was a very relaxing experience at the spa and i was pleased to get a treatment fitted in.

We had afternoon tea which was plentiful (scones was marvellous just melted in ones mouth) and also tried the chefs canapés in the evening with champagne.

Dinner was had the following evening. We were sat in the corner which was nice but at times had to ask for condiments and a steak knife for the main course. The waiters were very professional and the food was presented well.

I would recommend this hotel for the spa and food. I have stayed in Windsor for a spa break but it does not match my experience here.

I have recommended my experience to my friends and I would return for the spa experience again

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear travel168southern,
Thank you for your post, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will be back again soon.

Jeremy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Holiday Inn Maidenhead / Windsor
Hurley House Hotel
Hurley House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Crowne Plaza Marlow

Been to Fredrick's Hotel Restaurant Spa? Share your experiences!