“Emperor of India in Maidenhead - Very poor quality”
Review of Emperor of India

Emperor of India
Ranked #18 of 150 Restaurants in Maidenhead
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Emperor of India in Maidenhead - Very poor quality”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very disappointed in this very overpriced Indian Restaurant. If the food was good we could have accepted prices 150% inflated over other Indian Restaurants in the area. We had booked in advance hoping for a good table. When we arrived at 7PM the restaurant was near empty yet we were put round the corner on a very small table. We had to put our drinks on the floor since there were four of us struggling with a table more suited for two. They didn’t even do Kashmir chicken which is our favourite so we accepted Pasander but that was nothing like a good Pasander. The chicken was not marinated lacking flavour. The mild curry sauce was lumpy and lacked any pleasant texture or taste. We concluded the chef was not good at the milder curries. But the big thing for us, other than the very inflated prices, nearly 8 pounds for a large glass of wine, we asked for a Rosa but got a house white wine, was the awful Nan bread. It was not the doughy high flavour bread we had become accustomed to over many years. This bread was light powdery and totally lacked flavour. By far the worst Indian Restaurant we have ever eaten in and the very first review we have ever done of this kind. A meal for 3 of us, our share, was 116 pounds and we had only 1 beer , one glass of wine and water. Very, very poor.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Angela W
Azmal A, Owner at Emperor of India, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to our restaurant. We were sorry to hear that your experience was unsatisfactory. In response to your review I would like to take this opportunity to respond.
Firstly you had booked a table for 5 persons and when you turned up there were only 4 of you. You did not notify us prior to arrival about the change of covers, this would be the normal courteous practice. This meant that we had to arrange another table at short notice. While you may have seen that the restaurant was relatively empty upon your arrival at 7.00pm we did have bookings for the duration of the evening, which meant that the other tables were booked and your original table of 5 was allocated to a waiting list customer.
In regards to your request for a Kashmiri Chicken, you were told that this dish was not on our menu and with all due respect not all Indian restaurants carry the same dishes. You were informed of this and offered an alternative which you chose to order. In regard to the flavour of the pasanda, we were sorry to hear that you found it tasteless and lacked marination. For your information a chicken pasanda is not a dish which is marinated prior but one that is cooked fresh on order. This is a mild dish by description so would not have intense flavours.
As the owner I was on the floor on the night in question and I personally came and asked you if everything was ok, to which you responded that all was fine. You had finished all the food and none was taken back untouched or uneaten,considering you found it all tasteless and lacking flavour, that was a little bit strange
.I would have thought that given this opportunity you would have made a comment about the pasanda dish.
In regards to the large glass of rose, you chose a Pinot Grigio 225ml at £7.50 this price is in line with all good restaurants which serve high end quality wines and food. You mentioned receiving a house white wine, this seems unlikely as if this was the case, why was this not pointed out at the point of service? Surely this would be the most common case. You were also charged for a Rose.Also in regards to the price, all customers are given the wine and food menu which states the prices quite clearly, this is an informed decision on the part of the customer. If you don't agree with the price you have a choice of not ordering the items.
You mentioned that you were struggling for space and had to put your drinks on the floor when the food arrived. Just to clarify that only a bottle of water was put down temporarily when the food arrived. This was only for a short while and not the duration of the meal. We are happy to post a picture of your table which is clearly a table of 4 and not 2 as you mentioned. As i recall you were 3 adults , 1 child.
Finally in regards to the overall bill you mentioned having the following, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine and water, however according to your bill you had 1 large glass of Pinot Rose wine, 1 large Cobra, 1 pint coke, 1 diet coke, 1 coke and 1 mineral water. Your bill also included 3 main dish, 1 side dish , 3 nans, 3 pilau rice,papadums /chutney and 2 desserts.
Having been in this business for the last 12 years and in the service industry for over 25 years, I pride myself in providing good quality food and service and while I am happy to take constructive criticism I really feel that given the opportunity during the course of the meal and at the end when you were asked by my manager and myself, you would have mentioned your dissatisfaction. Along with this you all got a comment card at the end of the meal. While I can appreciate that sometimes customers tend not to say anything at the restaurant,on this occasion if everything was un satisfactory according to your review , you should speak to the management at the time , at which point we would have taken appropriate steps to rectify the situation for your evening to be a pleasant experience.
I am sorry that your experience at my restaurant was not a positive one but would urge you to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

London, United Kingdom
“Good Restaurant”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Good food with good service,this comes at a price,which I found with the price of the drinks,not to be good value.
I love Indian food but because of the price,will not return on a regural basis.
If you like overpriced curries this is the place.

Visited January 2014
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch curry :-)”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Emperor's Sunday lunch curry buffet is an excellent find. Only £9.95 per head, 3 courses, all you can eat.
The service was spot on, and the food was delicious - the saag aloo and fresh naans were a particular favourite.

Highly recommended!

• Visited February 2014
Reading, UK
“My favourite Indian (and I'm fortunate it is close by)”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I have had curry in many different UK establishments and Emperor of India is my favourite. It beats anything I've had in London hands down. Yes, it is not the cheapest Indian on offer....you can easily find cheaper. However, that doesn't mean the quality is not worth the cost. The Butter Chicken here is the best I have ever had. The Naan is incredible as is the pilau rice and veg. I have had a number of their entrees and none disappoint....the Chilli chicken fry is another good option :)

I have taken a number of friends and everyone enjoys. The takeaway portions are well sized as well and I feel good value. I strongly recommend this restaurant and look forward to my next visit.

• Visited January 2014
Monroe Township, NJ
“Great find! Definitely a must in MHD!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Very very good! Highly recommend! From the Naan to the coffee all was excellent! Went on business and we enjoyed everything and the host is very accommodating. We will be going back! If you are in Maidenhead or Windsor area, this is the best Indian we have had to date.

Visited January 2014