“Maidenhead Heritage Centre - A Must Visit!”

Maidenhead Heritage Centre
Ranked #3 of 24 things to do in Maidenhead
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I recently returned from a two day research visit to the Maidenhead Heritage Centre and it was incredibly helpful. I am currently writing a dissertation on the ATAgirls involved in WWII and the information on offer at the centre is second to none. The staff are all incredibly helpful and the Spitfire stimulator was a real treat - definitely worth a visit!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

The Maidenhead Heritage Centre gives so much information about the town I never even realised - such a gem. The staff were very friendly and knowledgable and although the downstairs museum was free, I can recommend £5 very well spent upstairs to view the Air Transport Auxiliary. Not only will you find a treasure trove of information about this WWII organisation, but the Spitfire simulator was amazing and as close as I will ever get to flying a real one!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I arranged to meet a friend there to try the Spitfire simulator. We got there after travelling some miles and using petrol, then the parking, but that should have been okay...
We paid our £3 joining fee and i got into the simulator....
after about 30 mins he (the operator) declared he could not get it to work, frankly he had no idea which buttons to press and asked us!...
so we departed dejected.
wish I had asked for my money back

Richard P, Chairman at Maidenhead Heritage Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

We apologise most sincerely for the computer glitch which meant that you could not fly our Spitfire simulator, which you can see from other reviews is fantastic fun. We would be pleased to offer both you and your friend 30 minutes free flying each if you care to phone us to make book a slot.
We hope that you found the exhibition about the wonderful people of ATA interesting.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Maidenhead Heritage Centre presents a most informative glimpse of the history of the town from pre-Romans to Brunel to the 21st century. Exhibits are thoughtfully prepared to appeal to children and adults alike. We loved it! Even more impressive is the display commemorating the previously unsung heroes of WWII - the Air Transport Auxiliary who, with a minimum of training and support, piloted a vast array of aeroplanes to the airfields where they were most needed. We listened to recordings of interviews with surviving members of the ATA who also kindly donated artefacts and photographs from their personal albums, never previously available to the public. There is a wealth of material, superbly displayed and I defy anyone not to be captivated and in awe of these courageous and spirited men AND women. It's a must to take a turn in the Spitfire simulator - take off, manoeuvre through the skies, loop the loop and land on a narrow airstrip with helpful volunteers on hand to guide you through the experience!! Superb! Best to book your 'flight' in peak periods and there is a small charge but well worth it!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I flew a Spitfire in their simulator as part of my 65th birthday treat. Really enjoyable and you cannot get hurt if it goes wrong.
The exhibits about the A.T.A. are well laid out and tell an incredible story, but, I flew a Spitfire.