“Very average”

Ranked #2 of 160 Restaurants in Maidenhead
Price range: US$14 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At Bianco Nero we are committed to offering a family run restaurant with traditional home cooked Italian food and providing our customers with a truly home from home Italian experience. Our dishes have been created by drawing on the wealth of experience we have within our families in running restaurants in the south of Italy and we have many generations working together in the kitchen and restaurant to bring you the best of our Italian cuisine. Our name Bianco Nero, meaning Black and White, was chosen specifically to emphasise the simplicity in how we have created the restaurant and in the dishes we lovingly prepare. This theme has been extended into the decor of our restaurant and we are sure you would all agree when you see this that simple is beautiful.
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I normally trust Tripadvisor's ranking but in this case, I think there must be an error. Our meal was very average. My prawns in garlic sauce where few and far between for the price. My veal escalope was slightly burned on one side and not very tasty.
Finally, the credit card machine would not work so it took ages to settle the bill.

1  Thank ThierryBMaidenhead
Bianco_N, Owner at Bianco Nero, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for your review.

First of all, in relation to the prawns, they are our best selling starter by far and the price the dish is served at is calculated according to restaurant guidelines and the cost of the ingredients and you are the first customer who has mentioned this since being open in April last year.

In relation to the Veal, breadcrumbs cook very quickly and therefore brown easily and therefore the meat isn't burnt. Again, the veal is one of our best sellers and every individual customer is different and not one has said anything about the Veal before and we maintain the same standard throughout. I would have preferred you ask to speak to either one of the owners as there is always somebody on site as we believe in speaking to our customers face to face providing a high level of service.

Finally, all I can say is that I am very disappointed that a mark is placed against my restaurant because of a technical fault beyond our control. Unfortunately these things happen and we as a society have to accept this and I can only apologise for the delay in paying for your meal.

I hope you will give us another try and please feel free to speak to us.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had heard really good things about Bianco Nero and I love to support local, independent restaurants so we went along for Saturday lunch with high hopes. The waiter was lovely and the service really couldn't be faulted but sadly the food was poor and I would have been ashamed to serve it to any guests in my own home, I’m an average cook but this wasn’t even average I’m afraid. Despite the fact that the restaurant was almost empty, just one other table, our starter of mushrooms in sauce still arrived almost cold, as if it had been sitting on the side waiting for ages to be brought out, if it had been hot it would have been OK but nothing more. The mains were a real disappointment. My husband had the cannelloni and one friend had the lasagne, normally these dishes come out with the cheese bubbling on top, not on this occasion, it was melted, just. My husband said his meat was actually quite unpleasant and lumpy and our friend said the same of the lasagne, neither finished their meals. Our other friend had pasta which was OK but she said she'd had much better elsewhere. I had the seafood risotto, I have an allergy to certain shellfish so checked with the waiter before ordering, he checked with the chef and we were informed that none of the things I’m allergic to were in the dish, however, when I received the dish it had 'crab sticks' in it, the waiter apologised and said that the chef hadn't mentioned these when he asked, my dish was returned to the kitchen and 2 minutes later my 'new dish' without the crab sticks arrived. It didn't take long to realise they hadn’t cooked a fresh dish, a) because it came back so quickly, there was definitely no time to cook a fresh, crab free risotto and b) because there was still one crab stick in the risotto at the bottom of the dish, this I duly removed and put on the plate in front of me, I pointed this out to the waiter and showed him the crab stick, I also explained that if a customer is allergic to something it’s simply not acceptable to remove the item and serve the same dish again, he went to the kitchen and came back with apologies from the chef. I’m pleased we gave the place a try but we won’t be going again.

2  Thank Mrs_S
Bianco_N, Owner at Bianco Nero, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hi Mrs S,

I am one of the owners of the restaurant and I was concerned that a review of this depth was posted. First of all I’d like to say that we take a lot of pride in what we do and the food cooked at the restaurant is actual food we eat ourselves at home. The whole concept is simple, rustic and authentic. When reading this review I felt I had to respond.

Considering that the food we offer is home cooked food and is food that we ourselves eat, our concept is home cooked, rustic Italian food. May I ask, what standard of food is acceptable for you? As you can see from the majority of our reviews that our food is highly rated and is the kind of food our local customers like.

In relation to the restaurant not being busy there is a very simple explanation to this. We have only been open since April 2013 and as like most independent businesses it takes time to build up the lunch trade. Unlike large chains who can afford money on advertising and build up clientele quickly as they are commercial. I took a lot of time in researching lunch and I’m very aware that we are not that busy for the reasons stated above and I am also aware that this will also change in time. In fact, we have launched a fantastic lunch menu to offer during lunch hours.

In relation to your starter with mushrooms, traditionally it’s served cold on toasted bread. Its like a crouton for salads.

In relation to the lasagne and cannelloni, and all of the hot food we serve, we check all our temperatures so that they are served above the minimum serving temperature. Being Italian myself I can assure you that bubbling cheese on top of a dish doesn’t make a difference on the taste.

In relation to the meat, and overall in general, Didn’t anybody think of asking to speak to the owners? My Fiancée and head chef would have been more than happy to come out and speak to you as she takes a lot of pride in her work and will sit down and listen to views of our customers.

In relation to ‘crab sticks’ I have pasted a link below for you to read. Crab sticks are imitation crab meat as it’s made from compressed white fish. For anybody who has an allergy to shell fish this won’t do anything.

In relation to picking out the crab sticks, we take legislation very seriously and NEVER take bits of food out with our hands when it has been cooked. This was cooked again and overseen and I find your accusation as unjust. In relation to finding another piece in your plate, for this I apologise. As all the portions are prepared ready for cooking, it makes it difficult to filter out the crab sticks especially when you are trying to cook the plate again so that it gets the plate out onto the table for the waiting customer. When I had told the chef about your comment she had felt very hurt to being accused of something that didn’t happen (referring to the dish being sent back out)

In relation to your comment below:

***I also explained that if a customer is allergic to something it’s simply not acceptable to remove the item and serve the same dish again, he went to the kitchen and came back with apologies from the chef. I’m pleased we gave the place a try but we won’t be going again.***

Again I refer to the link above in relation to crab sticks.

I still believe that if you had asked to speak to one of us before hand things may have been different.

That said, I hope you give us another try in the future and I am more than happy to even sit down with you and your guests.

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

It seems there's not much open on a Sunday night in Maidenhead! Apart from a few pubs most places were shut, but thankfully these guys were open.

It was very quiet in there but the waiter was not over-bearing, the food was simple and tasty, and very reasonably priced. I'd go back.

Hi there,

thank you for your review. I'm very happy that you liked it and hope to see you again soon. Hopefully we will start getting busy on Sundays in the near future as its a bit of a new thing. Spread the word and thanks again.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Lovely food, simple and done well. Friendly service and not at all intrusive. There's a good variety on the menu and this is the first proper, delicious calzone I've eaten in the UK. I'm looking forward to eating there again. And again and again and again....

Bianco_N, Owner at Bianco Nero, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Customer, I would like to thank you from all of us at Bianco Nero for your support during our first year. We hope you can continue your support throughout 2014 and beyond. Kind Regards, Piero

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We were long standing patrons of the Conco D'Oro and are very happy with the new tenants of the building ! The food is excellent; fresh and appetising. The mussels in tomato and garlic were probably the best I have ever tasted in England . They were served as a starter but the huge bowl [perhaps with some chips] would have made a very generous main course. For £7.50 a complete bargain.

Good service, good food and reasonable prices......... a real find. The only problem [which they have no control over] is the lack of parking. It'll take you a while to find a space - so make sure to allow extra time to find one.

Bianco_N, Owner at Bianco Nero, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014