“Hot, hot, hot..”

The Thames Riviera Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
“Hot, hot, hot..”
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel is on the river. Not quite Windsor but this is an affordable replacement - the river (!), bank side tables for an evening drink, restaurant with typical restaurant food (lamb goulash, steak etc). Ideal for hop, skip, jump to Henley too. Service is generally good indoors but the bar men can be surly and they won't 'wait' outside (born more of hubris than anything else). If you are unlucky enough not to stay in the main hotel but the eighties brown ronseal bolt-on at the back then you are in for average room, no aircon, and a balcony that you cannot open without intoxicating yourself with insect spray. On a hot day do not run gauntlet of sleeping with balcony open. To be fair they warn you about this but a warning does not make a service when you are sleeping in a sauna. Decor a bit tired, but a reasonable size. As a first time guest I would probably have this hotel in my back pocket as an affordable alternative but I wouldn't go out of my way to go again

• Stayed July 2012
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us,

I understand that the waterside lodge rooms may have been hot as indeed we do not have air con facilities but this is something were hoping to look into during our on-going refurbishment.
Each room has been issued with a portable fan to try and help with this matter and additional fans are also available from reception.

Your comments regarding our bar staff have been noted and passed on to our operations manager who in turn will speak to the bar team and take the necessary actions.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Hayley Buddo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
West Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed there (also room 403 !) Friday 3rd August so we could get to Eton Dorney for the Olympic Rowing.
As a previous reviewer stated, the room could do with a little bit of attention, but there was plenty of space; it was clean and tidy; the bed was comfortable and the view was wonderful.
Value for money - couldn't argue with it - we had a "Olypic B&B offer" which was a ridiculously low proce.
Service was beyond excellent - breakfasts are normally 08:00 onwards but (because of the no. of guests going to Eton Dorney) they happily opened the restaurant for full breakfast at 06:30.
All staff were commendable - cheerful, welcoming and obviously capable.
We will certainly return.
Best of all - we got 2 Golds and a Silver. Huzza !

Room Tip: As for Room 403 - overlooks the river.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us.

It was fantastic to read such lovely comments regarding your room and our staff as tis is what we strive to achieve for every guests stay.

Please feel free to contact me when your next visiting and I would be more than happy to assist you in your booking.

Thank you once again as we really do appreciate all feedback.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Having read the previous reviews we visited with an open mind but headed off early to make sure we could park.

First impressions were good, well presented reception area and friendly staff.

Upgraded to an executive suite which was in a separate building (403) had its own balcony with views over the river.

Bedroom was clean, well presented although it could do with some minor touch ups to make it great.

Breakfast was included in the price although on checkout we did query this has we were nearly charged the £19.90.

Overall a very pleasant hotel in a great location for strolling along the Thames and ideally located for many of the local attractions.

Would recommend a walk up to Boulters and over to the island.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Richard K
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We take great pride in receiving such positive comments as we do try our very best to ensure every guest has a pleasant experience, and can assure you that your comments have been passed onto my fellow colleagues.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I use this hotel a lot for business and its grown on me due to the good quality rooms and decent food. Its at its best in the summer months when you can enjoy a drink on the terrace overlooking the Thames away from the road noise.
Bar food is decent quality and the breakfast is cooked to order. The Waterside Lodge rooms are larger than the ones in the main building and I find them quieter.

Room Tip: Ask for a Waterside Lodge room overlooking the river or a corner room at the back in the main buildi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Hayley B, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your review on the Thames Riviera hotel, I was very pleased to read your positive comments.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, Please do not hesitate to contact for any of your future accommodation requirements.

Stroud
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I had a very good late room deal for a family room here (£69) and stayed for one night with my husband and son. The room was very spacious with a double bed, large sofa bed and good sized bathroom. The room had obviously been recently refurbished and was spotlessly clean with a lovely view of the Thames. Other reviews mentioned the heat and it was a hot day when we stayed and the windows don't open much but there were 2 very good fans so we didn't suffer. My only criticism would be for the hotel restaurant: The food is pricey but good and kids eat free for residents and breakfast but the service was unbelievably slow - over 20 mins to have the order taken and a further 40 mins for food to arrive. They clearly didn't have enough serving staff or cooks. Given that we arrived about 6.30pm so that our 7 year old wouldn't be eating too late I wasn't impressed. Service was better the next morning however and breakfast outside by the Thames on a warm morning is lovely. I would recommend having your evening meal elsewhere if you have children and prefer to eat early. Despite the way the restaurant is run I think this is a great place to stay to be near Windsor & Legoland and the family room we had was excellent.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us,

I was delighted to read your lovely comments on the Thames Riviera hotel,

Due to the lovely weather we have had recently we have experienced a higher volume of guests than we usually would and agree that this may have affected our service.
I would sincerely like to apologise for your experience in our restaurant as I agree waiting an hour to order and receive your food is unacceptable.

Thank you once again and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Thames Riviera in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I arrived early evening to find the car park full to the brim, I drove past the place twice as the signpost is for the bar below the hotel rather than the hotel, then had to sit there for 30 minutes before I could get parked. Eventually found my way up to reception which is a bit of a climb with all the kit we carry but that's no fault of the hotel.

Reception staff were lovely. Really friendly and polite and efficient, the room was nice with great views of the river but there is a fly problem being so close to the river that meant you can't open the windows. The room was comfortable and clean.

Ordered from room service and a lovely young lady brought me a superb steak and bowl of soup so big I could have swam in it. Great food and the reason why the car park is so busy. Breakfast next morning is cooked to order so takes a little longer than the usual buffet style, but tasted great and was well worth the wait. Restaurant staff were brilliant too. Check out was quick and efficient with the same great girls from the previous evening.

There was some road noise to contend with but it wasn't too bad at all in fact the ducks or whatever they were made far more noise the next morning. Free wifi is always a plus and the upload speeds were OK too. Overall it was a nice surprise to find such great staff and great food for a reasonable cost and I'll have no qualms staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: Try to et a room at the back away from the road
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for your recent review on the Thames Riviera

I have passed on your comments to the team as we take great satisfaction in reading such positive comments as we strive to make every guests stay as enjoyable as possible.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Thames Riviera in the future.

Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I moved to kent 4 years ago but had lived in Maidenhead for a few years I have previously eaten and had drinks within the bar/restaurant but never stayed over night.
I booked to stay here as I knew the hotel and location. It was also alot cheaper than the Holiday Inn and had parking, unlike the Travelodge in the town centre!
We had a beautiful big family room, that was clean and well presented. We even had a River View which was a bonus!!
The reception and restaurant team were also helpful.
I would definatley stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ThamesRiviera, Front Office Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us.

It was lovely to read such positive comments and Im glad you decided to stay with us on your return to Maidenhead.

Thank you once again as we really do appreciate all feedback.

Hayley Buddo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
The Thames Hotel
#1 of 3 in Burnham
Norfolk House Hotel
Norfolk House Hotel
#5 of 11 in Maidenhead

Been to The Thames Riviera Hotel? Share your experiences!