“good late rooms price”

The Thames Riviera Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The price for this hotel was £79 via laterooms - which was fine. Not sure the discount from £200 per night was genuine as that would be massively steep for what is a pretty average hotel. Good location by the river, near to restuarants, etc. Breakfast was good for £10 - plus free kids' breakfasts thrown in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Tim T

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is OK. Average rooms. The staff are friendly enough. If you stand on the very average balcony you can see the Thames, which is nice. Just don't make the mistake I made: they do not mention breakfast because they'll charge you £9.95 more for it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Jane B

Thank you for your review and I was pleased you found the staff friendly. I can confirm that we do advertise both room only and bed & breakfast rates on our websites so that our guests can choose which package suits them at the booking stage.
I do hope you stay with us again In the future

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Stopped here just for one night with work. I was booked in to the Waterside lodge next to the hotel. Room was very spacious and well laid out. The hotel it self backs on to the Thames and I expect if the weather was right, you could have a great outside dining experience. God was good if just a little on the pricey side. Breakfast was nice. All together a nice place. I would stop there again

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Russ M

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you had a great experience and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I had a weekend stay in this Hotel, the staff were very helpful and friendly.
the view of the Thames was beautiful and the surrounding area.
as I was visiting for a family occasion I will be back.
The Lady at Reception was very helpful and friendly
the weather was lovely also which was a bonus.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Julie Power

Thank you for your great review and I was pleased to see that you found the staff helpful and friendly. It was indeed a beautiful weekend and the views of the river are always more stunning in the sun.
I do hope you visit us again soon

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Paying a little extra for a Thames view room is a must. Rooms were very comfortable and clean with a balcony a stones throw from the Thames overlooking a rowing club on the other side.
Service was exceptional and the restaurant was very nice with a good menu, only gripe would be that the wines were very expensive with what seemed to be a above average mark up.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear David W

Thank you for your recent review and I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The view is indeed stunning and having the fine weather recently was an added bonus.
I do hope we see you again soon

Reviewed 19 May 2014

On arrival I was angry because when I booked the Thames Riviera I requested a room for a wheelchair user. We were shown to a very small room on the ground floor in the lodge. There was no room for the wheelchair to move freely and no ramps at the entrance, which made getting in and out very difficult. There was only a bath with shower so my husband was unable to wash properly during our stay. When I complained to the receptionist I was told that they didn't have a disabled room. Why didn't they say that when I made the booking. The best they could do was to discount the room which we had to accept because there were no other hotels available in the area.

The room itself was in desperate need of a makeover, to say it was tired is an understatement - it's on it's last breath. There was a dirty towel in the bathroom cupboard and run marks on the side of the sink. One of the coffee cups had coffee drips down the outside. The wardrobe doors would not slide without using brute force. The balcony was filthy. I had to remove cobwebs from the chair before I could use it, and the floor was covered in dead insect and plant matter. The windows hadn't been cleaned for months. There was general staining on the carpet and stains on the table pedestal, you could see where something had been spilt and not cleaned properly.

On the plus side, the location is lovely and the food was good.

The restaurant lacked atmosphere, it was more canteen than restaurant. They could improve it my maybe having quiet music playing and improving the lighting. Also, it would be nice to have someone welcome you to breakfast and show you to your table, and then ask if you would prefer tea or coffee, instead of which, you have to find your own table and then carry hot drinks across the restaurant to your table; not a good idea when small children are running across the floor.

On the whole, I couldn't recommend the hotel, it needs serious money spent on it to bring it up to a decent standard, money I don't think the management want to spend. I heard some Dutch guests saying it was like Fawlty Towers. I know the manager said that the price is good for the area, but personnaly, I'm not paying for an area I'm paying for a hotel. And a ground floor room does not constitute a disabled room. People have varying degrees of disbilities and a basic shower/wet room with accessible toilet and grab rails should be in EVERY hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused to you and your husband on your recent visit. Unfortunately we do not have a wet room which is why the discount was given as a gesture of goodwill. My Front Office Manager will be speaking to her team and carrying out corrective training to avoid any future re occurrence.
I do appreciate your feedback and I will speak to the relevant head of departments to ensure we take corrective action with immediate effect as we do appear to have let ourselves down on this occasion.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Me and a friend stayed here for 1 night while attending the Rock on the Moor in Cookham. Very friendly and helpful staff at reception who on the phone had said we could leave our bags with them as we were arriving earlier than the booking in time,only to find when we arrived,our room was ready,it was also nice to see smiling faces. Was over the moon with it,1 four poster and a sofa bed which was already made up for us. As it was a very warm day,the fan was on in the room. We had the usual tea,coffee facilities,although the kettle had to be moved to the other side of the room as there was no-where to plug it in where it was,but that's not a big problem. Bottled water was also in the room along with hairdryer,bath robes,iron and ironing board and everything was clean. The one thing that blew me away was the views of the river,we were very lucky to get this room and if you wander out the front and go to the right there is a bench by the river along with a seating area outside the café and a lovely little park right opposite. We did not have food there so could not comment. Our room came without breakfast and we thought an extra £10.95p each was a bit steep so we popped to the garage across the road for nibbles in the morning,although the food at the hotel did smell lovely. Would love to stay here again.Booked through booking.com.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Nicky

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed the views of the river. I was also pleased to see that you found the front desk team friendly and helpful, I will pass on your comments to them with thanks which I know they will appreciate.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon

Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
The Thames Hotel
#1 of 3 in Burnham
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor

Been to The Thames Riviera Hotel? Share your experiences!