The Thames Riviera Hotel
  • Pool
US$145
US$137
Hotels.com
Premier Inn Maidenhead Town Centre(Maidenhead)(Great Value!)
US$75
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
US$52
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsblue river caferowing clubbeer gardenthe main hotelstayed for one nightwould stay againlovely locationtown centrefat duckthameswindsorrowersbrayriversideheathrowlegoland
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I planned a one-week trip to Maidenhead and booked the Thames Riviera for its nice location, family-hotel look and garden terace.

Long story, short: In my first night I killed 5 spiders in the bathroom and 2 in the room. They don't have insect nets, so I could not open the windows, because just outside the window there was probably a nest of spiders. The courtains were filled with spider web and they looked like they hadn't been washed for ages...

Imagine I had to buy insect spray, spray the entire room and was not able to ventilate the room, because I couldn't open the windows... You cand imagine what my room smelled like after 2 nights. The ventilator does not help (oh... din I mention there's no A/C?).

Anyway, I went to the reception to bring the matter up and what I got was "Well... There's not much we can do about it. We tried insect nets last year but they didn't work for us". That was it. That's when I decided to leave the hotel and stay at the Oakley Court Hotel (Amazing. Totally recommend it).

All-in-all, avoid The Thames Riviera, unless you love spiders, filthy curtains and damp rooms due to lack of ventilation.

Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I have spoken to the front desk and they are not aware of this situation so I would be grateful if you could contact me direct at the hotel on 01628 674057 to discuss further.

Regards
Ian

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights,
Was what I expected and paid for. Good sized double room. Bigger than usual bathroom - lots of how water and clean towels.

Hotel has own rest/cafe which seemed popular ( and was visited by non-hotel guests too )

Staff were polite, attentive and did all they needed to

Stayed: August 2014
Ian D, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Wodjer
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at the Thames Riviera. We look forward too welcoming you back when you’re next in the UK
Regards Ian Hotel Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had nice warm weather for one night on business, the hotel beer garden along the Thames was a great idyllic spot. Enjoyed a standard double room at the front of the hotel (not Thames side or the lodges), overlooking a park, clean, well presented and reasonable size room for one night. Bathroom was clean. Lunch was well presented and no complaints. I had read the reviews about an insect problem and the hotel do advise you keep your windows closed. There is no air conditioning but they provide fans, which seem to do the job. Found the Wifi in my room a little hit and miss. The walk in to town (which is small) was about 10 min. Tried the Thai across the road about 3 min walk facing the river, the Thai food was excellent. Spend a lot of time in hotels and hotels in Maidenhead during the week can be pricey, at apx £80 for Maidenhead this was acceptable and I would have no hesitation in returning.

Room Tip: standard double at the front of the hotel (not the lodges) facing a park was clean, quiet and comfortable. I would guess those facing the river might be a little noise on a warm night as fold stay out in the beer garden.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do have a great location by the river and I was pleased to hear that you were able to relax and enjoy this wonderful weather we have currently in the garden. I do hope we can welcome you back soon to the hotel.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked this hotel due to attending a wedding in the town centre for one night, staff are very helpful and friendly . The fabric of the building is very tired and needs work also the inside needs a bit of TLC. Due to insects we had to keep the windows closed and a fan is provided, due to our room overlooking the main outside seating area and the building opposite we had to keep the curtains closed in order to get changed and showered, the windows were filthy covered in webs .
If you need to get into town by taxi don't use the hotel cab service they are very expensive for a short trip into the town centre they charge £7-00 you don't get charged that for the same journey in London they also put the price up after 12pm. hotel in a nice location but would stay in holiday inn next time got air-con apparently and also cheaper.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie D
Paul T, Manager at The Thames Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Jackie D

Thank you for your recent review and I was pleased to hear that you found the staff friendly and helpful. It is through our customer's feedback where we learn what we do well and where improvements can be made which is very valuable to us.
I can assure you that I will be speaking to the Taxi company with regard to your feedback.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked this hotel under a free gift experience voucher and were pleased we had - we wouldn't pay to stay there. We had paid £20 to upgrade to what we were told would be one of the "Executive rooms". However, when we arrived, we were given a tiny little room, which looked nothing like any of the photos we had seen online. We, of course, queried this and were eventually given a "Family room" which matched the picture of an "Executive room" shown on the hotel's website - I think they need to have a rethink on the layout of the website as it is VERY misleading. The new room was lovely however, very hot as the windows had to remain closed and the provided fan worked little, if at all.
In addition, we had a few problems when it came to dining. We had phoned up the day before to see if the restaurant and bar menu was available on a Sunday and were assured it was, all day long. However, when we arrived at 1.00pm expecting to eat we were told we couldn’t eat off that menu until after 6pm. One of the guests is a coeliac and the Sunday roast menu is not suitable for this at all.
When we did eat, we couldn’t fault the food! Huge portions so value for money and a lovely waiter served us.
In the end our stay was bearable but I don’t think I’ll recommend this hotel and I certainly won’t be returning anytime soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you know exactly what you're getting. Book rooms in the main hotel for space.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aimee Gomm

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to hear that my team were able to move you to a different room as you were not satisfied with the original one. I am not sure why you have only given 1 star however I have taken on board all your feedback and will discuss with the appropriate head of departments.
Regards