“Extremely disappointing.”
Review of Sheephouse Manor

Sheephouse Manor
Ranked #7 of 20 Maidenhead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed in 2 bedroom self catering cottage.Our arrival was not acknowledged but were 'greeted' by 2 dogs barking and jumping all over us - we were tired and not in the mood! A shower would have been very nice but that was not to be. The water was barely tepid, the shower head hard to control and the bath dangerous to climb in and out.
The owner, Caroline, was less than helpful when we finally managed to locate her and left us with the impression we were a big nuisance to bother her. All in all- the place was uncomfortable, unclean and unwelcoming. Never again. DONT GO THERE.
This is a very kind rating. NO TV RECEPTION

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank val_mal5
rosellamatt, Owner at Sheephouse Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I am sorry your experience was not a pleasant one.
At Sheephouse Manor we want all our guests to enjoy their stay with us, and we have taken your comments on board to improve things in future.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

All same complaints as those before, they simply do not care about you, demand money up front and have no cares about your comfort at all. We were told washing would be collected on a certain day everyweek, stripped beds, and no one came, then told, they did come but couldnt find the huge pile we left in the middle of the floor, then told the owner would collect it. Raced back to the house to meet her, she never turned up, apparenlty having no need to visit that evening after all.

Washing was never collected on day it was supposed to be, one morning she even walked another potential customer thru the cottage at 8am because I had no responded to her one call on my mobile ( during usual morning activities I had missed the call). We said the heating didnt work, she gave a vague disinterested attempt to fiddle with it then said " well you dont want it too hot".

The cottage we stayed in was decorated dreadfully, dark, miserable and a snail left its trail across the floor nealry ever night! ON puling out the furniture to try and find it, we noticed huge amounts of dust and dirt. Its a shame as a lick of paint would have made a huge difference.

We were not made to feel welcome, more like an irritant, and I would not recomened this place to anyone who works hard for their money and wants to spend it on value and quality. I always consult Alister Sawday guides when we go away, I have never ever put a foot wrong with them, the people who run guest houses seem to be natural hosts and geuinly seem to want to meet and spoil people with hospitality.

We only ended up at this place because our house was flooded.

Dont do it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank lizeratsi

Reviewed 8 May 2011

Having had a quick look through past reviews it seems nothing has improved at the place for years even after repeated complaints & the owners being aware about major problems.

We stayed in one of the cottages, and though at first everything seemed fine, over time there were a lot of things that made things unpleasant. The cottage was fairly clean, beds comfortable and the kitchen well equipped.
Outside there was play equipment for kids and a table to sit at in front of each cottage.
The bus stop into Maidenhead is quite close too.

BUT: The main thing that was really annoying was that the shower as mentioned by several people is impossible to use comfortably or even safely. It just switches from boiling hot to freezing cold. I ended up washing my hair in the kitchen sink, which is not exactly what you expect when you pay good money! The tap in the kitchen is also dangerous for children, as there is too much pressure on it, and when you turned it on on hot boiling water could easily scald you. I am amazed this place is allowed to run things like this and not get shut down by health and safety!
Re safety there were also some loose stones and lots of holes in the garden, which could be dangerous too,, esp. at night. The area guests walk through to the cottages is also the run of the owner's (I presume..) dogs... They were always jumping up at you as well as trying to come into the cottage and nick your things. More funny than anything to us, but not ideal if someone is afraid of dogs or actually wears clothes which don't go with muddy paw prints.
The other slight nuisance was that there was no door (or at least curtain) between the living room and kitchen, which meant if you slept in the living room/sofabed you woke up as soon as it got light. The other problem was that due to the lack of a door/curtain the fire alarm went off as soon as you were frying anything in the kitchen (and I mean frying, not burning..).
The internet also was not accessible from the cottage, according to the booklet in the cottage access was variable and best in the lounge in the manor house itself. To me this is quite misleading, as I am sure it was advertised as having internet access in the cottages.
Also there were an awful lot of bugs in the cottage itself, including a whole swarm of moth in the bedroom which came out from behind the furniture every night.
All this would have not been so bad, if the owners of the place would have been more helpful or available, it just seemed like they either get so many complaints that they choose and run away as soon as they spot a guest from the corner of their eye (which was actually what it seemed like!), or they are so busy with whatever else they do, but running the guest house definitely does not seem to rank very high on the list of their priorities.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Biotash
rosellamatt, Manager at Sheephouse Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to send us your review.
I am sorry this experience was not a positive one for you.
We at Sheephouse Manor want all our guests to enjoy their stay with us, and we have taken your comments on board.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

Travelling as a single parent with an 8 year old daughter to Maidenhead, mainly to visit Legoland and other child-friendly attractions in the vicinity, we were initially delighted to see Sheephouse Manor. We arrived quite late in the evening, and Caroline, the owner, was there to show us the self-catering cottage we had booked. It all appeared to be very nice. and there was plenty of garden space in which my daughter could play, including a trampoline, zip wire and a small outdoor swimming pool.

We stayed in cottage number one for 6 nights. I like to shower at least a couple of times a day and from the start the shower was temperemental. Initially, it veered between freezing cold and boiling hot. I eventually managed to locate an acceptable temperature on the first night, but the tendency for the switchover without warning made it dangerous to shower my daughter without constant monitoring. On the second morning there was no hot water whatsoever. The shower was stone cold and very unpleasant to wash under. I did tell Caroline, and her response was that it would be fine once other people had stopped using the water, and once the washing machine had completed its cycle in her laundry room. It wasn't and I didn't think this was a satisfactory answer, nor did she enquire about it for the rest of our stay. It became a thing to dread, especially for my daughter who takes a bath or shower each evening

Unfortunately, my car broke down on the third day of our stay. Although I am quite self-sufficient, I felt at a bit of a loss, and I asked Caroline if she knew of a bus route to Legoland. She replied that she did not and suggested we take a taxi. Being on a strict budget I could not afford to do so and just found my own way through trial and error.to Maidenhead Centre, on to Windsor, then Legoland. Of course, this was not her responsibility, but had I been the proprietor of such a business I'm sure that I would have been concerned about the well-being of my guests; to secure future business if nothing else.

Sheephouse Manor is located in a very pretty area of England and it's such a shame that for me there was nothing of the personal touch about our stay. My initial response to the surroundings was one of joy, which soon gave way to disappoinment and a desire to travel home as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank ave40
rosellamatt, Owner at Sheephouse Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Sheephouse Manor. I am sorry that we did not fulfil your expectations. We take all guest comments seriously, and have put strategies in place to resolve similar future issues. I hope that if you visited us again you would have a very pleasant stay.

Reviewed 3 March 2010

I found my accomodation really comfortable! I had cottage two, which was a self catering unit, but stayed as a B & B guest! I was welcomed & offered a choice of rooms. The room was clean & had everything I wanted. I had a lovely breakfast, with a home produced egg for breaky! If I was to complain about anything, the layout of the place is confusing and as I arrived in the dark I couldn't find the guest entrance door! Could be my poor powers of observation! I would definitely stay again! Sheephouse is ideally situated close to Moor Hall & so I stayed the night before I had a course there! Free access to the internet, so beats the cheap hotel ranges!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Trueblueruth
rosellamatt, Owner at Sheephouse Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Thank you for your review. We have addressed the lighting and signage issues.
Hope to see you again.
Caroline

Reviewed 22 January 2010

I thouroughly enjoyed my stay here.
I stay in the Maidenhead area quite frequently and have got tired of the strerile hotels.
I stayed in one of the cottages in Sheephouse Manor and it had everything I required and more.
I will definitley stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Fabulous. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you. See you again.
Caroline

Reviewed 13 August 2009

We stayed at Sheephouse Manor for 7 nights. We arrived late afternoon but there was no one there to meet us! We waited for half an hour then decided to go into Maidenhead and get a coffee. We came back a couple of hours later to be met by "Caroline", the owner. She had been on a school run, and this seemed perfectly acceptable to her to not be there!
We were shown to our "cottage" which on first impressions seemed fine. The next morning we needed to shower - no hot water! Caroline was away again and neither the gardener nor the housekeeper seemed to know why. After making do with boiling the jug and having a "splash bath", we set out for the day. On our return Caroline informs us she had forgotten to put the "pump" on. After a couple of hours the water heated up to boiling point! The tap in the kitchen soaked you every time you turned it on! Now for that long awaited shower! Well, the shower mixer didn't work, so you either got scalded or had a cold shower. She could not explain this, but it appears its always the same!
The bed was very comfortable but the drawers in the room were very old and diffcult to use, almost dangerous. There were also plenty of cobwebs around!

Maidenhead is a beautiful area, and Sheephouse Manor is in a lovely setting but I definitely wouldn't stay again. We had travelled from NZ and were very disappointed. Would have moved out had it not been school holidays and we had prepaid everything.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NewZealandGolfer

I am sorry your experience was not a pleasant one.
In 2013 all our cottages underwent complete expensive renovations, and all cottages are now 4* rated by Visit England, except cottage 1 which is 3 *