“Idyllic location, wonderful cottage”
Review of Sheephouse Manor

Sheephouse Manor
Ranked #6 of 21 Maidenhead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We booked this location as part of a trip up the Thames on our boat for a long weekend. I called ahead to check where it was relative to the river at Maidenhead, as my wife has some mobility issues and we needed somewhere easy to get to by taxi, and with easy access once we were there.

Caroline ( the owner) was very helpful on the phone, took charge and said she was putting us in Cottage 4 which was part of a self catering annexe next to the main (guest) house. We ended up with a beautifully appointed studio cottage with its own outside patio area and views over countryside, Caroline's garden, and her chicken run (fresh eggs available at £1.80 for 6!!).

The attention to detail in the cottage was fantastic, from the thoughtfully stocked fridge for morning breakfast, to the choice of quality toiletries in the bathroom.

On a more personal note, I have had insomnia problems in recent times, but I slept fully 9 hours in Cottage 4 on the single night we were there. Thank you, Caroline, and I am really sorry that it made us an hour late checking out on Sunday morning!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
rosellamatt, Owner at Sheephouse Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your lovely review.
I am delighted you had a pleasant experience with us.
We are located only 800m from the River Thames, and therefor very handy for both Thames Path walkers, cyclists, and boaters like yourselves. All the cottages are ground floor, and have easy access for those with mobility problems.
Our chickens are good layers, and the eggs are very tasty.
Hope you see you again.

There are newer reviews for Sheephouse Manor

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I came here to stay at a convenience to get some needed rest and on entry and walking to my room was bitten twice by the owners dog which she did nothing about and my early night going past 10pm now as the owners daughter and friends were playing basket ball outside my room? The owners reply was why is it bothering you then? Very poor if you asked me should had stayed in my van

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Lbrooker85

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry your experience was not a good one.
We take all comments made by our guests very seriously and have made changes to ensure a similar event does not occur again.
Our aim is to ensure that all guests enjoy their time here, and we hope that if you visit us again your experience will be entirely an pleasant one.

Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights and found it quaint. Watch your head on low doorways etc. Pity no full english breakfast which would have improved the stay. The room needed a face lift and a shower that wet you would help. If you are passing I would keep going and find a premier inn or likewise..but ok for cheap stay only.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Mylakehouse

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
We have recently made huge renovations to all guest bathrooms, and cottages, to enhance the guest experience.
Our continental breakfasts are quite substantial and healthy, and the buffet for B&B is well stocked.
We do advise in advance that cooked breakfast is not usually offered for B&B guests. .sorry that you were disappointed.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night as we are moving to the area soon and I was attending an interview. My partner has stayed in many of the mainstream budget hotels recently and I wanted to find somewhere with more character but within budget. The rooms here were lovely and the bed very comfortable. Caroline suggested a local bar/restaurant to eat for the night, which was only a 10 minute walk away - Boulters Lock. Again a lovely location, on a little island on the Thames, and the food was out of this world!

A continental breakfast is served in the farmhouse kitchen, which makes you feel very at home. The only problem might be that there was no shower in our room, just a bath, but that suits us fine. I think some of the other rooms may have showers if that's your preference so just ask when you book. On the whole, a fantastic stay! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valkyrie007
rosellamatt, Owner at Sheephouse Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2016

Thank you for your lovely review. Now in 2016, we rarely do B&B, having turned mostly to short lets in the cottages and the West Wing, from 1 week, to 6 months.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

I was in Slough and High Wycombe on business and needed somewhere handy for both places. I always look for something a little different and as I am self-employed, I can stay where I want within reason. This was for 4 nights and as soon as I saw the website I thought it would be fine.
I booked for B&B, on arrival, was shown to an immaculate en-suite room in this lovely old farmhouse. Everything was as promised and the coffee at breakfast was superb! Also the bed was excellent too. Both things I really appreciated, along with free WiFi.
Better still [for me anyway] was the kitchen area at the back of the breakfast room was available for me to use in the evening - provided of course that it was left as found. Home from home really, and as I spend so many nights away it was really good to be in somewhere more relaxed. The grounds are lovely and all this 30-odd miles west of London! Caroline is charming and helpful, but this is quite a relaxed place and all the better for it in my view. Would I go back? One word,Yes.

Room Tip: Not all en-suite rooms have a full shower, check when booking
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank donald846

Thank you. Caroline

Reviewed 29 October 2012

Just beyond the M25 but oh what a world away from the bustle of London: this is such an oasis of calm and countryside. Excellently placed for a leisurely exploration of the villages of Cookham, Cliveden or the slightly bigger conurbations or Marlow or Maidenhead, this B&B was a delight. Caroline, our hostess, could not have been more welcoming or charming: everything was just as it should be: a comfortable room, a great breakfast, (more than ample and a refreshing change from a stodgy cooked breakfast) and a lovely ambiance; what more did one need for a romantic weekend away? I'd stay there again at the drop of a hat and probably will in the coming months.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John F

Thank you for your review.
We offer mostly self catering short lets now in our 5 cottages. From 1 week to 6 months.
See you again hopefully,

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We originally were going to stay self catering at the manor, but then spotted that the owners also have Southlands Cottage in Cookham.

We have just returned after a great stay, the cottage is compact, but all that we needed. very well furnished/decorated and had everything we needed.

We took our dog and the walks around the village, were just fantastic,.
We all had a great time and I have already recommedned to a friend of mine.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie C

Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed our lovely cottage in Cookham.
Caroline

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
Grovefield House
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Christopher Hotel
Christopher Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eton

Been to Sheephouse Manor? Share your experiences!