“Quick Break in Maidenhead”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Thames Hotel

The Thames Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Maidenhead
London, United Kingdom
“Quick Break in Maidenhead”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We found a lovely, quiet place by the river in this refurbished hotel (faint smell of fresh paint) and was within easy walking distance of town centre. Our breakfast was included in the on-site restaurant and it was a good (though not extensive) buffet with hot & cold choices. Tea & coffee (& cocoa) in the good sized room. We had a nice time and the room was very clean. We'll be back when we next visit Maidenhead.

Room Tip: We liked our room; on a quiet side of the hotel so it was good.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Maidenhead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

If you are looking for a place, good, clean and comfortable, you have to go to this Hotel! It is cheap, and clean, I know personally the owner, ad he is a very kind person, his Hotel is always very ordered, you can not have bad experience in it! Beleve me! I hope you will take it when you come to visit Maidenhead.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable, the English breakfast is great, the staff are friendly and helpful and it has a great pub!

The only negative I have, is the noise level. I've slept here a few times and you can hear the creaky floorboards in the room above you and when someone walks in the hallway.

I have also been kept awake by snoring in the room next door or by their television .

Room Tip: Try to get on the top floor and do ask for another room if someone's snoring is keeping you from...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cincom_traveller
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

As I live nearby I frequent the hotel bar regularly especially during the warmer months as it has a terrace overlooking the river. It’s a busy road but somehow this does not distract from the interesting view of the river and its craft passing by. I almost always order some of their bar food, its great value and a wide choice with specials on a daily basis. The staff are friendly and service is good although the bar can become quite busy at times. I can’t answer for the rooms and other facilities as I have never stayed there but it seems busy enough at the reception. There is a car park and also street parking. In short a superb place to enjoy a beer and grub on a summers day and watch the world go by.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Maidenhead
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

I live in Maidenhead and members of my family have stayed at the Thames Hotel a number of times over the past 5 years or so, formerly with pleasant results. However, this year, prices have gone up and standards have gone down. We'd paid for an executive room, but I can't imagine many executives would have been pleased with this offering. A few of the things that were wrong were:
- A tablet found on the floor the first evening - an indication of how well the room had been cleaned.
- Dead flies lay on the window sill, and dead wasps on the floor, throughout the stay.
- Light above bathroom mirror didn't work. This was mentioned to reception, who said it would be fixed, but it never was.
- Shower gel etc wasn't replenished when empty. My parents had to specifically ask reception to bring some up.
- The bed was not properly made. The quilt was thrown up but the sheets underneath were ruffled.

These are only a few of the things that were wrong. Worst of all though, was the fact I wrote to the hotel twice about these issues and my complaints were never acknowledged. It seems the poor service received by my parents during their stay was extended to me in the aftermath. In summary, if you can avoid it, don't stay at the Thames Hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ElaineHol

Travellers are raving about these Maidenhead hotels

vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed here visiting relatives before heading back to Canada. Our room (1st floor) was large with Balcony overlooking the Thames river. It was comfortable with coffee, tea, biscuits, etc.& a small desk. (Also 2 sitting chairs & small table) It took us awhile to figure out how to turn on/change TV channels (probably would have saved time if we called the front desk!). There was a small fan that proved useful on one hot day . . . that is, until we learned how to open the Windows! (Some things are different here.) The bathroom was fairly large with tub, shower sink, but lacking extra shelving to store razors, toothpaste, deodorants etc. Buffet breakfast was available in the Trevi restaurant serving warmed bacon, sausages, eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, juice and so on. We had a lite lunch in the on-site Pub that was satisfactory tho' I don't recall what we had.
Staff were friendly . . . to the point where one young lad lugged all our luggage (large suitcases, backpacks) from curbside to room without being asked.
For us, while not an American 4, or 3 star, it was a delightful taste of ole' Britain which we thoroughly enjoyed & would love to come back to some day.

Room Tip: Try to get one overlooking the river with balcony
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed here for one night to go to the Cliveden Rocks concert. I booked it purely on location to the event and cost.

Very professional reception when we booked in.

Lovely terrace overlooking the Thames where we enjoyed a glass of wine watching the boats go by, very relaxing. We had taken a picnic with us to enjoy at the concert but if we hadnt I would have been very tempted to try the bar food. They also had an Italian restaurent that looked very welcoming as well.

On returning from the concert we could enjoy the rest of the evening sitting on the terrace with a night cap, there didnt seem any rush to send us to bed from the bar staff which is always a big plus.

The room was on the small side, but I had only booked the standard double, but saying that it was adequate and well arranged. More importanty everything was very clean - including the bathroom. Hotel manual informative, they seem to take their Fire precautions very seriously.

Breakfast was buffet style, lots of choice - could not fault it.

I would say that this is the best value hotel I have stayed in for some time. I was very impressed and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maidenhead
The Thames Riviera Hotel
#1 of 3 in Burnham
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow

Been to The Thames Hotel? Share your experiences!