All reviews the river an italian restaurant specials board friendly hotel free wifi top floor would highly recommend this hotel would stay again stayed for one night bed was very comfortable car park tea and coffee cooked breakfast fat duck trevi stroud spruce
Reviewed 31 October 2018 via mobile

I travel all over the country on business and have never met such a rude and miserable person as I did at this hotel. The receptionist on reception was rude, abrupt and clearly does not enjoy her job! The hotel is very dated with no lift. I also found an extremely dangerous broken socket in my room which I could easily have received a shock from.

1  Thank Ian B
ThamesHotel, Manager at The Thames Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2018

Good Afternoon Ian,

I am sorry you felt this way about our receptionist we will ensure all customers are now greeted with a smile.

We were unaware of the broken socket in your room so thank you for informing us the maintenance man is replacing the unit.

Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

The room was very small & dirty in need of redecorating, the balcony did not feel safe,the tv was poor the bed creaked & was uncomfortable, we felt we paid too much for the room £85 per night, the bar was good as were all the staff, the breakfast was poor & cold, the only way we would return was to be treated great by the staff, the hotel is old and dated. Great location although there was a lot of road noise.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

I was put up here for a business trip for the night as it was close to Cookham. Id made the mistake of looking at the reviews before and I was a bit cautious.

On entering the lobby it was presented nice enough. The receptionist on the desk, albeit super friendly, was also super efficient. It was a barrage of information and then straight up to the room.

I had the first floor, so I can't comment on the rooms above but my colleagues who had floor 2 and 3 were fine, just be prepared for the staircase to get narrower as you go up!

My room was as expected, a little tired, but to put your head down for the night it did what is said on the tin.

I did have an issue in my room where the guest before me had broken the radiator thermostat so it couldn't be turned off and it was quite a mild night.

The front of house were very apologetic and would have offered me a room if there was one free. To make up for it it was a free bar instead which more than made up for it and save a few ££

Sleeping was okay, as I had to have the window open, the road outside seemed to be a busy main road next to the river and it started to get busy from around 6:30 in the morning. Oh and the bed was slightly too firm for me, but still managed to sleep!

The shower wasn’t great, and seemed to want to boil me (maybe the room just preferred to keep its guest hot?) but was okay for the one day I was there.

Breakfast was good - full English self serve just could have done with a normal sized cup. The lady there in the morning (3/10) was very pleasant and seemed as if nothing was too much trouble.

All in all it was a good stay. The couple of issues with my room was more than substituted for, the drinks yes, but the hospitality of the staff. Front of house, bar and breakfast, all brilliant interaction.

If I was booked to go down again and the hotel reservation came through as this, I’d be more than okay with going down. A short taxi drive from the town centre with good train links to Reading and London.

Good Afternoon Pete

Thank you for taking the time to write a review

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and any issues were dealt with immediately

We will look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Car park: very generous car park but a bit of a walk to the front of the hotel. Would appreciate an entrance from the rear.

Reception: straightforward check in process. Rarely recognised even when staying several weeks. Staff are very friendly.

Rooms: unfortunately it lets itself down here. Been in many of the rooms and they are all pretty run down. Everything basically needs complete renovation. If you get on the right side you are staring straight into the Thames. It’s extremely pretty.

WiFi. It’s not too bad but not great. Bit hit and miss once the hotel starts to fill up. Usable though for steaming when it is working.

Breakfast: Cracking cooked breakfast which is a buffet affair. Cold options are there but not massively extensive. Definitely enough good stuff to send you on your way satisfied.

Conclusion: cracking location and views. I know it’s lots of money but they are just going to have to bite the bullet and throw some money at the rooms and access halls.

Date of stay: April 2018

Good Afternoon Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we always value guest feedback

I'm pleased you found the staff friendly during your stays with us and you enjoy our free wifi and Full English breakfast in the mornings

We will hopefully see you again soon

Reviewed 12 September 2018

Having read some reviews beforehand we were as title suggestspleasantly surprised. Our room spotlessly clean, the restaurant delicious food in Italian restaurant. We had balcolny overlooking river. Would stay again. Near to boat trip to windsor.

Room tip: First floor
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Good Afternoon Woody

I'm pleased to hear to enjoyed all parts of your stay with us

We will look forward to welcoming you back to the Thames Hotel soon