“Other chef & brewers serve far superior meals”
Review of Shire Horse

Shire Horse
Ranked #42 of 149 Restaurants in Maidenhead
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Great british pub offering excellent value for money food and an excellent range of real ales lagers wines and spirits. Cosy fires in winter and a large garden for the summer
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Other chef & brewers serve far superior meals”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Undercooked veg, burnt meat, congealed gravy and meal only just warm. Real ale was too cold. A real disappointment, will not be returning to The Shire Horse. My partners meal was disappointing too.

• Visited June 2014
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Shire Horse, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Alan K

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Shire Horse with regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
“With a bit of”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Went here for a girlie catch up. Never been before. Easy to find. Has a very large car park which is very convenient.

Starters- Hoisin Duck. Described as crispy coated with Hoisin Sauce, coriander and sesame seeds. It wasn't crispy and no coriander. It was more like Duck wings or even possibly thighs in light sweet gravy. Edible, but wouldn't order again.

Main - I had Brewer's Chicken. The tiniest chicken breast I have ever seen, barely covered in cheese with thinnest and tiniest bacon in-between the slit chicken breast. Served with chips and coleslaw. Coleslaw was lovely and the rest was nothing special.

The others had Slow Cooked Lamb on bed of Chive mash. They said the Mash was plain and not with chives and was good, the sauce was just right, but the Lamb was very fatty so they left quite a bit of it.

Drinks - Had House White which turned out to be rather good.

Service - Pub could do with employing a couple more as they took a while to take orders. However, they were very friendly and welcoming.

Would I visit again. Yes, if they tweaked a few things.

• Visited June 2014
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Shire Horse, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Braids07

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Sticky tables”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food was what you'd expect from a Chef & Brewer. The service was poor, the staff were more interested in chatting to each other rather than focusing on their customers and cleaning the sticky tables. The décor could do with brightening up as it's very gloomy. It's a shame as with a little effort it could be lovely.

• Visited April 2014
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“poor food”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I booked here for mums 89th birthday meal. My partner ordered roast pork.... There was none. 3 of us ordered roast beef. It was nearly inedible. Hardly cooked, very tough and fatty.
We complained, and were not charged.
We then ordered dessert. My partner ordered sticky chocolate cake with ice cream. Such a small portion of ice cream and the cake was dry, as if it had been out for a long time.
We then ordered coffee and 2 liqueur coffees..... We had to remind bar staff twice before they arrived.
All in all a disappointing meal to childcare an 89th birthday.

• Visited May 2014
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Cheap and nasty”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Visited one Saturday lunchtime as it was handy for the venue we were attending next. The menu flattered to deceive. We had a sharing platter as we thought there would be a good variety. Pâté tasted cheap and the accompanying toast tasted stale.There were a couple of breaded chicken 'things' - wouldn't even put on a kids party table! There were a few barbecued drumsticks I think but hard to tell - almost inedible. A limp salad garnished the middle - didn't even attempt to try that. Left hungry. I would say the food was the poorest quality of any pub I've visited and will definitely not be returning. Shame really as the setting is lovely and the staff friendly.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank teasethewind
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Shire Horse, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Stella S